“My motel for 15 years” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Swan Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stratford
The Swan Motel
You added The Swan Motel to your Saves list
960 Downie St., Stratford, Ontario N5A 6S3, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Stratford
Scugog, Ontario
“My motel for 15 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I have stayed at the Swan Motel for the past 15 years because it has been such an enjoyable experience. I love sitting beside (and swimming in) the pool! The grounds fill me with envy. Colleen and Peter are such welcoming and informative hosts, I enjoy discussing the current productions and new restaurants with them. The coffee and muffins are delicious and a welcome start to the day.

• Liked — Colleen and Peter, the pool, the grounds
  • Disliked — the tv channels (not what I was there for anyway!)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Burlington, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

The room smelled terribly of mold and mildew. The musty odor permeated the entire room and I could hardly sleep from the smell.

The pool was not cleaned and was FILLED with dead bugs.

Not a place I would ever stay at again nor recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The smell.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

I have visited Stratford every year for about five years now, and I always stay at the Swan. I like the fact that you are a little bit out of town, only about 5 minutes from the theatre, but far enough away that it is very quiet and peaceful. The grounds are beautiful, the hotel is very clean, and Peter and Colleen are wonderful hosts and very knowledgeable about the plays and about restaurants in town, etc. I always feel at home here.

• Liked — comfortable feeling, Peter and Colleen
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

We stayed for 2nights at The Swan after reading some very good reviews. We attented plays there in the end of May, 2008. First the good, the hosts were very informative, the place was clean, and the muffins for breakfast very good. Now the not so good, the loction is a 25 minute walk to the Avon Theater, further to the Festival Theater, not much by way of restaurants near by. The TV is antenna only, not much choice and horrible picture, and the swimming pool was not open, the queen bed not very comfortable. Would I stay there again? Not very likely, better location is the Travelers Inn, for less money.

LaSalle, ON, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

I spent a night at the Swan Motel and I was very pleased. It was quiet and very clean. The motel is a 5-10 minute drive away from the town. The coffee was wonderful. The check out time was a little early - but I imagine if you wanted a later one you could ask for it.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noise in the morning from the early departures.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Wyoming, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

While we have tried other places in Stratford, once we stayed at the Swan, we've been loyal guests for several years. It's spotless (as others have mentioned) and even the maids are smoke-free (as are all the rooms). Wireless internet in all the rooms has been added, and makes it convenient for those with a laptop to check e-mail, etc. It's a quick drive to the theaters or restaurants, but far enough away from the road to be quiet in the evenings. You park right next to your door, so hauling luggage is only a few steps...
Prices are reasonable, and Peter and Colleen are the consumate hosts.

• Liked — cleanliness of rooms
  • Disliked — TV reception is limited and poor, but we go to Stratford for the theater so we don't watch much.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
st. louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

My wife and I had a very fair stay at the Swan. For a value choice, it's probably one of the best deals in town if your looking for clean, decent accomodations. Owners couldn't have been friendlier. We didn't find this place to have much charm, however, and in a town like Stratford found that disappointing. Also, we were there in high season and while the cheapest in town, the value was comparatively less than most places we usually stay for the price. We would probably stay here again, but would have different expectations going in.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Swan Motel? Share your experiences!