“An Okay Place to Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Arden Park Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stratford
Arden Park Hotel
552 Ontario St | P.O.Box #1040, Stratford, Ontario N5A 6W4, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 16 hotels in Stratford
Reading
“An Okay Place to Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Spent 4 nights here primarily to visit Stratford to take in some plays. On the positive side I could book in 3 hours early although I am not sure if this would be the case in the high season. The room was nice enough although very warm. The window did not open fully so I had to keep the AC on all day to ensure I came back to a cool room. The room was clean enough although there was a half-full bottle of orange juice in the bottom of the closet and some dirt and hair in the bath. I also booked a wake-up call one morning which I didn't get. However, the staff were very apologetic and the one I booked for Saturday morning came through no problem.

I had mixed experiences with the restaurant in the hotel. On the plus side the prices were very reasonable and the breakfasts in particular were worth the money. However, there were little things which in my opinion make an okay experience a good one. Firstly, each table was glass topped, with the table linen underneath, so of course you know that it is not changed after every sitting. There was no bread knife brought with the rolls/bread so I had to use my main knife and no teaspoon with the coffee or tea. Also, the milk/cream and butter were in the little convenience packs when you sat at the table. The waiting staff ranged from overly cheerful to surly although there was on in particular who was very helpful and friendly. My first evening meal in the hotel was very disappointing, lukewarm and the gravy was spilt on the plate. In fact if it had not been for some bad planning on my part, I would not have eaten an evening meal there again. However, the second time was much better maybe because the restaurant manager looked after me himself.

If you are going to Stratford to take in some theatre, then this hotel is well appointed and taxis charge a flat rate for any travel within Stratford itself.

• Liked — It's location, minutes from Festival Theatre and the River Avon
  • Disliked — General standards
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

We stayed at the Arden Park in a Junior Suite (regular doubles were unavailable) for 2 nights and had a very good experience.
We travelled with our 2 year old, who slept in a hotel provided crib and having the extra space helped us out as we could relax in the lounge area while my son slept.
It was our first time in Stratford so I cannot compare it to anything else, but it was very clean and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
The hotel does get a lot of schools staying there, so our corridor was a little noisy with doors opening and closing until about 8:30pm, but very quiet after that. The swimming pool can also get busy with school kids, but they were considerate in our case.
You can walk into the town from the hotel, about 20 minutes, and there are a few swings and slides in the park behind the hotel for the kids (5 min walk).
We ate breakfast in the restaurant, which was adequate.
If we were to come back to Stratford, we would certainly stay here again and would definitely recommend it to families travelling with children.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chatham, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

The room was one of the best I've stayed in. A large bathroom with an oversized tub. The room had a lot of space to stretch out and I could see myself enjoying a longer stay there (over a week) and be quite comfortable.
The only critism I have is... the atmosphere of the hotel, gave the impression that the restaurant would give the same quality, but I did not find the same quality at all. The prices were of a restaurant that would give a much higher quality of service and food. If you go into the restaurant with lowered expectations than the rest of the hotel, then you would probably be satisifed.
The pool was excellent, quite warm and I think the salt water kind.
The Arden Park Hotel will see me again, that's for sure.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

Stayed here overnight with husband and 2 teens. The room was quite large - 2 queen beds. Bathroom was enormous - tub looked very new - great water pressure. Some of the furnishings looked old but overall the room was very clean. Used the pool and hot tub. Nothing huge but adequate. Lobby was very nice with couches and fireplace. Hotel was quiet, even with some school groups staying there. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

We booked the largest suite in the hotel thinking that it would be the nicest, but when we got there the room reeked of smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. The space was very large with a sitting area and separate bedroom, but the bedroom had a very tiny window and rather unappealing view. We decided it wasn't worth the money we were spending to be there and down-graded to a junior suite.

The junior suite was spacious as well, bigger window and same large-sized bathroom. The bathroom came with a jaccuzi. Staff was courteous, but the overall feel of the hotel was a little dingy for "one of the newest hotels".

• Stayed July 2006
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

The Arden Park isn't a half-timbered faux-Tudor sort of place. But the staff is efficient and pleasant, the room we had (in the main building) was very, very large, with a king bed and a sofa, and a deep soaking tub. Housekeeping is good, although the furniture looked a bit worn. They host lots of groups, both local and touring, but things are handled well; a convention and a wedding were both there on a weekend when the Shakespeare Festival was in full swing, but it didn't feel like a mob scene. Reasonable value for the money, especially for groups.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

We first checked out the Bentley downtown accomodations and they were not up to our standards (dirty, someones old double bed) and then came to the Arden and as soon as we walked in the door we knew this was the hotel. It was clean and classy. The staff were prompt, friendly and courteous. We had an immaculently clean, elegantly decorated room with a king bed and a large soaking tub for two and the mirror is right in front of the bed for a romantic evening imagine!! Ate dinner at Fosters beside the Avon theatre and it was excellent food, great atmosphere but reservations are recommended. Caught a show at the Avon theatre (tickets go on sale for all shows at 6pm for the evening performances at 50% off at all theatre ticket booths) then went back for the night. Needless to say checked out late but staff was unconcerned just glad we had a good time. Highly recommend this for a romantic evening away.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Arden Park Hotel? Share your experiences!