“excellent all around” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
“excellent all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

the menu was very simple, so you don't spend much time looking.
it wasn't long after we ordered that our food came. i got the cashew chicken, it was very simple and tasted good. the staff were very friendly.
it didn't cost much either, so good value for the budget savy person.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hello CanadianGurl,

Thank you for informative review of our restaurant. I apologize for taking so long to respond as I would like to respond to every review we receive on this well traveled site.

We appreciate your review which adds relevance to fellow readers of Tripadvisor of your experience at the WOD - especially with regards to our menu.

We worked painstakingly to put OUR best on the menu, still offering a good selection but not being too cumbersome with too many choices. The Cashew Chicken is very popular here at Wok on Downie and I am glad you enjoyed your meal.

Please come and see us again!

91% Recommend
Canada
“Super casual dining and awesome owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Chose this restaurant because it is rated # 1 in Stratford, how can you resist that ? It was my MIL's birthday and we wanted a casual place with good food so we decided to try WOD. We certainly were not disappointed. I have written many reviews and I can't say that I have ever written anything about the owners but this time I will - both Yui and Brian are excellent hosts. When was the last time you went into a restaurant and the owner came out to make sure everything was good ? For me - NEVER, until today. I would not hesitate to eat here again and would certainly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for great food in a nice casual, relaxed atmosphere. Too bad we live so far away, or I guess good thing we live so far away or I would be broke and fatter than I already am because i would eat here 3 or 4 times a week ! The dishes we had were all great: Wor Wonton Soup, Cashew Chicken, Pad Thai, Kung pao chicken and Garlic Ginger Beef. Yui was also very nice and brought my MIL a surprise dessert of fried bananas and coconut ice cream.....thanks very much.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hello Scufgrove,

Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant and of us as well as hands-on owners.

We do try very hard to please everyone who comes into our restaurant. As we have no staff, we ultimately do it all ourselves.

We consider our restaurant an extension of our home as you come in to dine with us and try our home inspired recipes plated and served in our restaurant.

Even though you are "far away" you are always welcome when you come back to Stratford.

Regards,

“An exceptional experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Visited Wok On Downie for the first time this weekend. My expectation was not disappointed at all. We were all very delighted for the freshly prepared msg free dishes. Everything was steaming hot and very tasty with the perfect mix of spices and seasonings. The service was very attentive from both Yui and Brian. They definitely showed that they are very proud for their restaurant and passionate for the food they serve. I enjoyed the food so much I went back for take out Wonton soup for lunch today. The broth was made from scratch and they even packaged the liquid and solid separately so the wontons / noodles wouldn't get soggy. I would have never expected that. I especially enjoyed the pieces of Chinese mushroom in the soup. This is my newest favourite restaurant. I am surprised I haven't discovered your eatery sooner. I will definitely be back.

Hello Thunderhorse,

Thank you for the kind review.

Very glad that you appreciate the subtle differences we try to provide for our customers such as separating the Wor Wonton soup ingredients from the broth on a take-out order.

I also appreciate your comments about us not using MSG because we don't. There is none in the building, I even joke with customers about not having an answering machine because we want nothing to do with MSG.

Sorry little humour there for your amusement.

In this town of many many restaurants we are flattered that you would refer to us as one of your new favorite places to eat.

Please come again, still lots of menu to work through.

Regards,

Stratford, Canada
“I would rate it higher if I could!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

After reading the many wonderful reviews of this place my husband and I recently ate there. We were both so impressed!!! I had the Wor Wonton soup and the bowl is huge. It was not greasy like some others I have had in the past. It was full of veggies, noodles and the best pork wontons I have ever had. My husband had the cashew chicken and said it was outstanding, not at all greasy. It was packed with veggies, chicken and cashews. I had a taste and thought the sauce light but just the right flavour. We also tried the pork dumplings, OMG so good. The sauce that comes with them we wish they would bottle and sell. I believe that it is homemade. We also had Yui's spring rolls which were just amazing as well. They had a slight spice to them which just made them that much better.

As for the service it was just wonderful. The owners were doing it all and made you feel so welcome. The food came out quick but not too quick that you know it was cooked right.

We will for sure be going back to this little bit of heaven in Stratford.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Hello Angelfancy,

Thank you for your kind words and your review of Wok on Downie.

The reviews that customers write can and do directly affect a restaurants success. We have been fortunate so far with a consistently happy customer base. As hands-on owners we take great pride in our healthy and tasty food. We have a very casual environment here at the WOD and are very glad that you enjoyed your dining experience enough to write about it.

Hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,

Stratford, Canada
“A lovely Restaurant with Wonderful Owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am a big fan of Wok on Downie. I eat there quite often. My fave is the Pork Dumplings, they are just delicious. The Cashew Chicken without Garlic which Yui makes as a special order is delicious. The portion sizes are enormous, I always end up eating 2 meals at the end. The prices are really low especially since you end up getting 2 meals. Everything I have eaten has been great. They also have great specials.
The restaurant is very clean and a good size. The owners are super friendly and just lovely. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes Chinese/Thai food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
londonricecooker, Owner at Wok On Downie, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hello Happy Customer,

Thank you for your kind review.

We make every dish fresh - to order - in our restaurant and are sensitive to peoples preferences.

We 'try" wherever possible to field changes to a dish such as no garlic, no onions, extra spicy etc etc. Even though we do not allow substitutions to our dishes - omissions are easy especially to assure your total enjoyment of your chosen dish and for a happy palate.

Hope you continue to come in to enjoy our food and we continue to exceed your expectations.

Best regards,