“Wonderfully reliable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Parlour Inn

You added The Parlour Inn to your Saves list
The Parlour Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Wellington St, Stratford, Ontario N5A 4H3, Canada (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS The Parlour Historic Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Stratford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Wonderfully reliable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We always stay at this wonderful hotel. The location is good, parking is plentiful, wireless is free, beds and baths are perfect, and desk personnel couldn't be more helpful. Keurig coffee makers are a welcome addition and we like the extensive cable tv.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Clean, comfortable, modern Inn in an ideal location. Large free parking and handicap accessible. Very good restaurant with full bar and patio seating. A business center and small workout area also available. The quality and convenience is unequaled in the town center. The Stratford Festival is the best theatre, equal to and exceeding Broadway,without the high cost and hassle of NYC.

Room Tip: The new wing rooms and suites are closer to the elevator. Great 1 bedroom suites are "01"...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

We moved here after many years @ the Festival Inn. Both have free parking and pay breakfasts. From FI you can walk to Tim Horton's. From The Parlour - or T P - you can walk to The Avon Theater or the Studio. Even the Tom Patterson, but in some weather maybe not. You can certainly walk to the delicious Raja and Fanfare Books.

The rooms are on the small side, but there is a couch and a fair-sized closet and a refrigerator. Drawer space is limited.

We found everything clean and kept clean and the service, a combination of solid professionals and cheerful rookies who could have fallen off a charm bracelet.

And the restaurant is good and affordable, even if some entries are not, others are. Plus, the delicious Pavlova for desert. We will be back twice next year.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Markham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I made our second visit to this hotel early in September. When we checked in, we were warned that the room was much smaller than the room we had booked on our previous visit. It was, but we were only staying for one night. When we entered the room, we were pleased by the appearance. The furniture and other appointments are lovely and there was a nice, large closet. Our suitcase fit on the rack inside. There was no refrigerator, even though we were on the second floor. My husband went to draw the curtains open and found a used tissue on the window sill. He was disgusted but decided not to mention it to the front desk. The room had a queen size bed. It filled most of the space and made it difficult for the person sleeping on the right side to get up. The air conditioner blew directly on that side of the bed, less than a foot away, and we had to turn it off before we went to sleep. Thankfully, the weather wasn't hot. The mattress on the left side of the bed sagged very badly. At 4 am, I awoke to find myself falling out of bed. My feet were already on the floor! When I complained about this in the morning, the desk clerk said that she would tell someone about it. The bathroom was very small with a shower stall instead of a tub. There was no room to put toiletries near the pedestal sink. There was a hanging metal shelf, but my things wouldn't fit in it. There was a shelf over the toilet where we found the shampoo and soap and two plastic glasses for brushing teeth. The room had a small table largely occupied by the coffee machine. There were two very small uncomfortable chairs. I guess the mattress sagged because people would sit on the bed rather than sit on those chairs. The flat screen TV made my husband happy. The hotel was a short walk to the Avon Theatre and there were lots of restaurants and small shops in the area. However, my husband and I thought that we had vastly overpaid for the privilege of staying in this hotel and we will likely try somewhere else next time we visit Stratford.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Caledon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night on Saturday, September 8th, 2012. Upon our arrival, we were greeted very warmly. We were recognized as members of Best Western Rewards, and handed vouchers which were good for two complimentary drinks (beer, wine, non-alcoholic drinks, etc.) That was a nice touch. Our room was on the third floor. The parking was close to the front entrance, and the elevator was close to the front desk too (just around the corner.)

The room itself had two queen-sized beds. It was very nicely appointed and painted in a taupe colour. The bedding was very clean and comfortable. The room was a really decent size. There was a desk, a t.v./armoire, a table and chairs. There was a unit just outside the washroom that housed a refrigerator and a Keurig coffee maker. The coffee maker was a nice touch. The instructions were clear and it was so easy to make a hot tea or coffee. The quality of the tea/coffee was very good. We were able to get extra sugar/stir stix and coffee/tea at the front desk.

The bathroom was very large (I found out later that this was a disabled room.) Lots of room to manoever and a large oval bathtub with whirlpool. It was very clean, and there were more than sufficient towels.

The room was nicely cooled upon our arrival, and the heating/cooling system was very easy to control. The only drawback was that it was LOUD at night. In fact, it woke me up during the night, as it kept coming on and off to cool the room. We probably should have put the temperature a bit higher to avoid this. The other drawback was that there was no easily accessible plug on either side of the beds to hook up a CPAP machine. In fact, the only way to do so was to unplug a light or the clock radio. One had to reach behind the furniture and there was not much room to manoever. This was disappointing.

On the plus side, aside from the noisy heating cooling/system, the room was fairly quiet, and so was the hall. This was a pleasant change, as some of the other Stratford hotels host weddings on Saturday evenings, and they can be very busy and noisy, on occasion. Another big plus is that this hotel is a 5 minute walk away from the Avon Theatre. There is no need to worry about parking. You can park right in the lot and walk...no problem!

The whole visit was very fine, until we ate breakfast on the morning of September 9th, 2012. However, to be fair to the hotel, I feel that the restaurant review should be separate from the rest of the visit. Therefore, I shall write my review of the restaurant separately,

Would I visit this hotel again? Yes, I would. However, now that I have had an initial visit, I know some of the things to avoid/look for. Check out was at 11 a.m., which is an ok time, and the bill was processed swiftly. Overall, it made for a convenient location to most amenities, including restaurants and some of our favourite stores. Since there are only 28 rooms/suites, it is a little more quiet than some of the other hotels I've stayed at. I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: The third floor seemed pretty quiet (not much street noise.)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

For the past few years, ever since my previous favorite hotel in Stratford was converted into a Senior Citizen's Center, I have stayed at the Parlour and I have never regretted it! There are at least four major reasons why someone coming to Stratford for the Shakespeare Festival should choose The Parlour as a base (whether you're travelling solo as with someone), and here they are:

1) Location - The Parlour is centrally located in the heart of Stratford, one block from the town center and walking distance from all of the theaters. Basically, all you have to do is stretch out a toe and you're practically at the theater or at a shop of your choice!

2) Accomodations - Whether you're staying in a suite or a simple room, I don't believe you will find a better place. The rooms are comfortable, always kept in practically immaculate conditon and contain all the amenities you may need (the rooms on the second floor also contain a small referigerator). Housekeeping keeps everything ship-shape and desk service (I've found) is always courteous and accomodating. The Business Center (while only containing one computer terminal/printer) and the Fitness Center (while only containing one treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike) are always avaialbel to staying guests day or night.

3) Dining - The dining menu at The Parkour's restaurant is slightly limited, but the quality of the food cannot be denied! Theatre Packages (depending on who you book with) can inbclude a complimentary Full Breakfast, and whether dining in the morning, afternoon or evening, I've always found the service extremely pleasant and the food delicious!

4) Price - Staying at The Parlour may be slighjtly pricier than staying at a local B&B or one of the other hotels in the area, but the value for your money cannot be denied for my reasons listed above, especially if you book your stay as part of a Theatre Package.

If possible, I will continue to use The Parlour as my lodging on my yearly trips to Stratford ... and I doubt if you'll be able to find a better temporary home!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here during the Shakespeare Festival. I booked late, so the rate was rather high. The room was very small, but very nicely appointed. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very very personable. I would stay there again, if I could get a much better rate.

Room Tip: Room 206 was small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Parlour Inn? Share your experiences!