“terrible experience, decent food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Backstage Grill - CLOSED

Backstage Grill
27 Market Place, Stratford, Ontario, Canada (Formerly Backstage Bar and Grill)
519-305-8888
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Bar, Grill, Family Fare, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located steps from the Avon Theatre, we are an elegant restaurant filled with natural light. Whether seated in our dining room or relaxed in our lower level sports bar, our goal is to provide an atmosphere that will keep your taste buds satisfied. Large groups welcome.
Stratford, Canada
“terrible experience, decent food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The server we had was clearly new, and he wasn't given a lot to work with, so I won't make any complaints about him, but we were told when we sat down (a table of 9 of us, I might add) that we were his first ever table.... I might have suggested a smaller table to start him out on.

The menu LOOKS delicious, but there's nothing like showing up for a dinner and getting a list of about 1/3-1/2 of it that they're "sold out" of... It was off-season and the restaurant was quiet. It was even early on a Friday, so they had the whole weekend in front of them... Even after that massive list, 2 of us ordered a pizza that hadn't been included on that list, but we discovered they were also out of the ingredients for that.

One at our table has Celiac's and inquired about gluten free items before ordering (and the poor server had to keep checking with someone seated at the bar... I assume the manager, although prior to him asking her anything, I'd thought she was a customer, as that was the demeanor she had there.

When her nachos arrived at the table they were accompanied by a couple very crispy french fries... meaning the nacho chips were deep fried. ... When we inquired about it being a separate fryer the (manager?) came over the literally yell at our table about how the chips ARE gluten free. When we mentioned we were concerned due to Celiacs, she continued to yell about how she KNOWS about Celiacs and we should have brought that up when we were asking about Gluten Free items.

While I realize there are people who eat Gluten Free by choice, it shouldn't be up to a restaurant to decide if someone is "sick enough" to need it. For example, as a vegetarian I wouldn't want to ask and have you to tell me a vegetable soup is vegetarian if it has beef broth... afterall, while there may not be beef chunks in it, it's still beef... and a gluten free chip deepfried in the same oil as battered food isn't completely gluten free.

The result of this unpleasant experience is that I'll only go back if there is good entertainment at the bar... and certainly never again for dinner.

It's a shame. In it's previous incarnation (Falstaff's) it had a wonderful, relaxed atmosphere.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Markham
“Good food, good prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I ate here on a recent trip to Stratford. We were seated promptly. There were few people in the restaurant. Our server was being trained, but he was attentive and polite. We were really thirsty and ordered beer. It was cold and delicious. We were brought two warm olive buns. My husband said it was good. I don't like olives, so I didn't try one. My husband ordered a steak. It was served medium rare as ordered. He also enjoyed the vegetables that accompanied it. I had a hamburger. It was hot and juicy on a tasty bun. The lettuce and tomatoes on the hamburger were fresh and tasted really good. I ordered cheese on the burger and it was actually a slice of cheddar, not processed. The fries were crispy and delicious. We finished our meal with coffee which had been freshly made. We were impressed. Our meal, including two cups of coffee and two and a half pints of beer, came to less than $50.

Visited September 2012
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

When we first arrived it was fairly busy the front section of the restaurant was about full. We were left awkwardly standing in the doorway for quite some time. Finally one of the servers said we could grab a booth if we didn't mind sitting back there since there were no clean tables available near the window. We ordered drinks and asked for water. The water didn't arrive we had to ask again. When we received them there was almost no ice in them. After walking around all day in the heat it would have been nice to have cold drinks. My fiancé ordered an Icy Jack there was zero ice in it and it was luke warm. Our food was good for the most part it was mostly the service that left us disappointed. They seemed very understaffed just getting menus brought to us took a very long time. This restaurant has potential but I think I'd try somewhere else the next time I'm in Stratford.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, ON
“Should have left after 20 minute wait to give our drink order”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We went into the restaurant about 5:30pm, it was not very busy and we were seated right away. Then we waited for over twenty minutes to give our drink order. We got our beers, both on the warm side and ordered some wings. Waitress did not seem happy we were ordering just some wings and beer and left in a huff. She brought over this bread in a bowl, some sort of raisin bread that was very dry and tasteless. The wings finally arrived, about half an hour after ordering them which for wings I thought was a long time. We had ordered hot wings but they weren't spicy really tl all. They also weren't very fresh but after the warm beer, stale bread and huffy service we weren't expecting much. they were adequate just not good. We waited for another forty minutes after we were done the wings for our waitress to come back. We were never asked if we wanted another beer, which we wouldn't have as it was on the warm side, or if the wings were okay. Finally my husband went searching for our waitress who seemed to have disappeared. He could not find her so he asked another waitress for our bill and she had to go searching for her as well. It's disappointing when restaurants in tourist towns are so bad because they don't really rely on repeat customers so they don't make an effort to properly service their guests. There was one waitress there who was really trying, I wish she had been our waitress. Hopefully the next time we are in Stratford we have better luck with eating out.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Innovative food, organization needs improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

This is a new restaurant, and seems understaffed. BUT the food is innovative. The braised short ribs were great! And the vegetable sides were crispy and tasty. The service was reasonable given they lacked a bar tender and a door greeter. This made it necessary for the servers to do all the running around.