“Straightforward food, presentation, and atmosphere.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 111 Restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Straightforward food, presentation, and atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

No surprises here - good or bad. Not an elaborate or adventuresome menu but all well prepared and efficiently served. Steaks are a specialty but some in our group liked the fish and pasta combination. Sound level is busy but not loud. Overall, a satisfying but predictable dinner.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Somewhere In Wa
“Great lunch on street-side terrace.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Busy at Stratford Festival time, but excellent light lunch, the high-light of which was to see noted Canadian autor Margaret Atwood entering the Inn.

Visited September 2012
Burlington, Canada
“Lunch before the show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I visited Foster's Inn Restaurant for the first time with two friends for lunch prior to attending a matinee at the Avon Theatre. Even without reservations we were quickly seated, and attentively served. One glitch was in getting the correct menu: the wait staff brought us the breakfast menu twice before we got the lunch menu. In spite of that hiccup, we found the food arrived quickly and was very good. I had the chicken and brie sandwich with a side of fries, and the kitchen easily accommodated my request to spare me the red pepper jelly. Tea was served in a proper tea pot, and in tea cups rather than coffee mugs, which to my mind is the mark of a good restaurant. My entree, with an alcoholic beverage and tea came to less than $25 after tax, which seems reasonable to me.

I make annual trips to Stratford, and I have no qualms about dining at Foster's again in the future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sharon MA, USA
“food ok, but bothered by flies”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

When I'm sitting indoors at a well-regarded Stratford restaurant, I don't expect to be pestered by houseflies throughout my meal. There were several flies in the restaurant. Rather than savoring our food, we had to eat defensively -- shooing flies away from landing on our food.

One other issue -- one of my party told the waitress that we don't eat meat. She suggested the trout special. When it came, we discovered bits of meat in the dish. When we called over the waitress, she apologized and said that she forgot it had pork medallions mixed in. She took back the dish and had them make another one without the meat at no extra charge. We carefully examined the replacement dish before eating it.

The above two experiences reduce confidence in this establishment. There are plenty of others in the area -- we will patronize others on our next visit.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Doesn't disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We ate here twice in August, 2013, while attending the Stratford Festival. It's always been one of our favourite Stratford restaurants, and didn't disappoint us this time either. For the first dinner, I had the 12-oz ribeye and my wife had the zucchini pasta, both of which were excellent. The second time, we both had the pasta special with beef tenderloin, which was also excellent. The service was, you guessed it, excellent. Can't think of a bad thing to say about Foster's. Remember to book as early as you possibly can.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere