“Smelled musty” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Stratford
Auburn, Indiana
“Smelled musty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

First the good stuff. The staff was very friendly and willing to help. Now for the other stuff. My first impression was that it smelled like my grandmother’s house back in the 60’s. A musty/moldy smell. Everything was old and I know it’s supposed to look old but doesn’t have to actually be old! I didn’t feel like the room was clean and found hair stuck to the wall in the shower. Yuck! The lighting in the bathroom left me feeling like I was showering in the dark. Poor lighting with dark colors just doesn’t work. I thought the mattress was very poor also and just wasn't comfortable. This place just didn’t work for me and I’ll try a different place next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Pros: The location is in the heart of town and convenient to everything, the staff is very friendly Cons: The room was a little shabby, bath needed some repair work, our major disappointment was the dining room "Henrys". We waited 45 minutes for our salads which were forgotten, our entree was good, however everything went downhill, we were once again ignored, and had to retreive our bill, having no time for the promised complimentary dessert offered earlier to make up for the salads!! Other guests were continually asking about the timing of the entrees--we all had a play to get to!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, OH USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I have been going to the Shakespeare Festival for the last forty years, and staying in the Queen's Inn for the last eight years. Usually I am in residence for ten days to three weeks. I have NEVER has a bad experience at the hotel. The servicing of my room has been outstanding . . . clean as a whistle. I again will be at the Inn for three weeks from mid-July staying three full weeks. I very much look forward to my stay and meeting all the friendly a (and efficient) staff and hotel guests.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

The location is really good - on the main street of Stratford, you can pretty much walk everywhere. The price was standard. However, the bedding didn't seem too clean - found some hair on it. The rooms are old - so generally it doesn't have the "new look" to it. The size of the rooms are pretty good, though.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are bigger but with street noise.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

We spent one night here and were very pleasantly surprised by how clean and quiet it was, even though it's at a busy intersection in downtown Stratford. The rooms are large and very clean. Some have refrigerators. There are couple of dining options in the hotel and we enjoyed idnner in the pub, which was vey good. Since this was low season in Stratford, we paid only $79. In high season the price is double, but the Albert St. Inn charges the same high season rate and is shabby and run down. The Queen's Inn fills up in high season far in advance so it pays to plan ahead to take advantage of the great location and comfortable lodging. The front desk staff were very helpful and courteous. They let us look at three rooms and choose the one we prefered.

Room Tip: Plan ahead.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and our 4 mos old baby and I stayed at this Inn at the end of December while visiting family in the area. Front desk staff were exceptional and check in/ out was made very easy which was so nice while we were tending to our little girl. Secondly, the ramp coming off of the parking lot made walks downtown so easy with a stroller and baby in tow! We stayed in a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the side street; room was quiet and quaint. As for the food/ drink: unfortunately we have to wait til our next visit for that! Looking foward to our stay booked for this summer!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

My friend and I loved our stay at the Inn in early December. With the intention of doing Christmas shopping (does Stratford ever make it worth your while! Check Stratford's Tourist info; they have special Christmas and Chocolate shopping!!), we booked a night at the inn without knowing much about it. We really lucked out: it is very quaint (Victorian) with winding staircases, thick carpeting, and era-appropriate wallpaper. Our room was a very nice suite: queen bed with a pullout sofa in a separate sitting area, a closet between the two rooms, tables and chairs, a desk, dressers for our clothes, and 2 beautifully appointed washrooms...all very clean and comfortable. We dined both nights in the very casual English-style pub. The menu offered excellent variety, service was prompt and friendly, and the food was delicious.

We had been apprehensive about noise from the pub so I mentioned that when making the reservation. I was assured we would be given a room away from any possible noise. We had a very peaceful night even though our room overlooked Stratford's main street; there was no noise at all! Each floor is equipped with a vending machine and there was complimentary coffee and tea. The most outstanding asset of the inn, though, is the staff. There wasn't anyone we met who wasn't friendly and helpful, even after we'd checked out! They offered to store our luggage for the day because our train was not leaving until evening. At the end of our day, after a whole day of Christmas shopping, we returned to pick up our luggage. Thinking we would wait for the train at the station, instead we were welcomed into the inn, seated in the banquet hall, and brought a tray of tea because we 'must be cold and tired'!

The inn is not a 4 or 5-star hotel but if you're looking for old-world charm where the guests are not only appreciated but welcomed as dear friends, stay at the Queen's Inn! I look forward to returning to the Inn to attend the Stratford Theatre (and do more shopping)!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Queen's Inn at Stratford? Share your experiences!