“Excellent location, clean and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Queen's Inn at Stratford
161 Ontario St., Stratford, Ontario N5A 3H3, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Stratford
Michigan
“Excellent location, clean and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

We spent one night here and were very pleasantly surprised by how clean and quiet it was, even though it's at a busy intersection in downtown Stratford. The rooms are large and very clean. Some have refrigerators. There are couple of dining options in the hotel and we enjoyed idnner in the pub, which was vey good. Since this was low season in Stratford, we paid only $79. In high season the price is double, but the Albert St. Inn charges the same high season rate and is shabby and run down. The Queen's Inn fills up in high season far in advance so it pays to plan ahead to take advantage of the great location and comfortable lodging. The front desk staff were very helpful and courteous. They let us look at three rooms and choose the one we prefered.

Room Tip: Plan ahead.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and our 4 mos old baby and I stayed at this Inn at the end of December while visiting family in the area. Front desk staff were exceptional and check in/ out was made very easy which was so nice while we were tending to our little girl. Secondly, the ramp coming off of the parking lot made walks downtown so easy with a stroller and baby in tow! We stayed in a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the side street; room was quiet and quaint. As for the food/ drink: unfortunately we have to wait til our next visit for that! Looking foward to our stay booked for this summer!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

My friend and I loved our stay at the Inn in early December. With the intention of doing Christmas shopping (does Stratford ever make it worth your while! Check Stratford's Tourist info; they have special Christmas and Chocolate shopping!!), we booked a night at the inn without knowing much about it. We really lucked out: it is very quaint (Victorian) with winding staircases, thick carpeting, and era-appropriate wallpaper. Our room was a very nice suite: queen bed with a pullout sofa in a separate sitting area, a closet between the two rooms, tables and chairs, a desk, dressers for our clothes, and 2 beautifully appointed washrooms...all very clean and comfortable. We dined both nights in the very casual English-style pub. The menu offered excellent variety, service was prompt and friendly, and the food was delicious.

We had been apprehensive about noise from the pub so I mentioned that when making the reservation. I was assured we would be given a room away from any possible noise. We had a very peaceful night even though our room overlooked Stratford's main street; there was no noise at all! Each floor is equipped with a vending machine and there was complimentary coffee and tea. The most outstanding asset of the inn, though, is the staff. There wasn't anyone we met who wasn't friendly and helpful, even after we'd checked out! They offered to store our luggage for the day because our train was not leaving until evening. At the end of our day, after a whole day of Christmas shopping, we returned to pick up our luggage. Thinking we would wait for the train at the station, instead we were welcomed into the inn, seated in the banquet hall, and brought a tray of tea because we 'must be cold and tired'!

The inn is not a 4 or 5-star hotel but if you're looking for old-world charm where the guests are not only appreciated but welcomed as dear friends, stay at the Queen's Inn! I look forward to returning to the Inn to attend the Stratford Theatre (and do more shopping)!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011 via mobile

This place is historic but let me tell you,the place is filthy. They must have paid those other people for the good comment!
My room which I am in right now on Tuesday, still has the dirt from the people before me ,as I see dust and long black hairs behind the bathroom door. (I checked in Monday and seen the dirt then. Had no bath towels in bathroom which I didn't notice until I was in shower )
I definitely wouldn't recommend this hole to anyone. Unless maybe you were stuck in a severe storm.
Unfortunately I am here as our company is renting these sleazy rooms for us..
I see I can add a photo so I think I'll show the dirt still behind the bathroom door.
I'll post another pic before I leave Friday morning. Let's see if it's still here.

• Stayed February 2011
Pembroke, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Check in was confusing, as we were 5 couples arriving together. Some rooms were ready, others were not.
I will speak for my room. I could smell urine in the bathroom. The bed and bedding were very old and threadbare. Too much street noise. Overall cleanliness was poor.
Biggest shock was a mountain of dirty bed linen left on the floor of the main hallway. We could not get around it, and had to partially walk on it to get to our room. It was there the whole time we were.
The location of the Inn is good, close to everything.
I would never stay there again, no matter what the price, which was rediculously high.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Des Plaines, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Yes, the location is perfect. The parking lot is large enough to accommodate all guests' cars and the pub offers GREAT food. Considering all of those pluses, we were able to overlook some of the less impressive issues of this hotel, such as the super small shower stall (we were in the mini-standard room, though) which was quite dark while showering and had an older, moldy (?) shower head. The air conditioner also was quite noisy, which was good to drown out all of the street noise. No closet -- but two generous racks to hang clothes and such. Ice (which is important for me) is offered in little bags that fit right in the ice bucket. Service was great and everyone was super friendly. All in all, I would stay here again, but maybe try another room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Queen's inn for one night while visiting Startford to see a play. At first we were concerned that it would have been too noisey after reading some of the other reviews but for us it was just fine. We stayed in room 201 and did not hear any noise from the pub as others have mentioned. The room was fairly nice, and comfortable as if we had stayed at friend's house. The bathroom was very clean and they provided soap, shampoo and lotion, which I did not expect. Each floor was equipped with a vending machine and complimentary coffee and tea. The decor of the hotel is that of the Victorian era ( not really my favorite but it was generally clean), but could stand for some upgrades or refurbishing. However, for one night it was fine. There is a restaurant within the hotel. We chose to eat some place else but I did notice that the dinning room was full at dinner time so I'm assuming it must be good. We chose to eat at nice little restaurant called Renee's Bistro, which was less than a 5 min walking distance. The food there was very good and right across from the Avon theater. We did not have reservations but they were able to accomodate us. I would suggest to make reservations as it seems to be a popular place. Back to the Queen's inn, parking is available. I parked my car in their lot and walked everywhere. Parking is free! Overall, it's an average hotel and it served its purpose for the one night that we stayed there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Queen's Inn at Stratford? Share your experiences!