“We enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Stratford Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stratford
The Stratford Hotel
You added The Stratford Hotel to your Saves list
107 Erie Street, Stratford, Ontario N5A 2M5, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Stratford
Ontario, Canada
“We enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Stratford Hotel in February of this year and enjoyed out stay. Yes, it is quirky! There is no night staff, which is fine as there are two of us. The biggest problem we had was easily resolved - one evening, as we returned to the hotel from dinner, our passkey didn't work. However a call to the phone number on the card had someone at the door helping us out in minutes. (I imagine that if you didn't own a cell phone this could be a bigger problem!)

Our mattress was not hard as a few other posts have mentioned, the layout of our room was spacious, and the linens and towels were thick and absolutely crisply clean.

One morning we had troubles with the internet, but it was soon rectified as it was related to electrical work being done in the engineering business that shares the building.

The location is perfect for walkers - we walked often, to visit services and to purchase meals etc. Love being close to downtown!

We had moved to the Stratford Hotel from a local motel that promised Wi-Fi and delivered none, that refused to provide clean sheets, that didn't shovel snow from the walk to the door, and billed itself as having kitchenettes that didn't exist.

The Stratford was delightful in the quality of furnishings, spaciousness and amenities. We are returning in April and spending a few days there once again as we return to Ontario to take up permanent residence in Stratford! It will be a lovely place to stay between homes.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the building will be quieter as the road is fairly busy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed here mid-September because we booked late - take note travellers - book months in advance in Stratford!

The bed was rock hard. I pulled back the sheets and was greeted by a big clump of hair. The four poster bed frame creaked and groaned every time you moved in the slightest. The quality of the renovations were very poor. There is not a shelf of any kind to place your belongings in the bath/toilet room so had to put them on the floor. Due to the huge space at the bottom of the door you can hear every person coming, going, talking - heck I even heard a heavy breather in the hall after lugging their suitcase up the stairs!

It is centrally located but the price is ridiculous for the lack of quality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed just one night at the Stratford Hotel in mid-September, 2012. A ‘part time project’ or a ‘hobby’ is probably the most diplomatic way to describe the place. The front desk closes (?) at 9:30pm and the hotel is unstaffed overnight. (So much for a pillow, blankets, towels or service of any kind.) Don’t know when the desk reopens, but there was no one there at about 8am when we left.

Light sleepers BEWARE. The hotel is in a heritage building on the periphery of Stratford’s downtown. While that’s convenient for walking it also puts the building very close to the town’s small, but boisterous, bar scene. Our room, #11, was at the back of the hotel. The music from the nearby bar(s) was loud enough to sing along to. Ironically the only tune I recognized was Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry Be Happy.” We got to listen to other people have fun until 3am.

The room itself was quirky, but adequate. It was long and narrow (30 ft x 10 ft) and broken into 3 parts: a sitting area with fireplace and TV at the entrance (there appeared to be no way to turn off the ceiling fan in the sitting area); the toilet and tub/shower (2 separate rooms) and a narrow hallway; then the sleeping area w/double bed. This is also where the window air conditioner is. So along with the noise of the unit, it blows cold air directly across the bed. Thankfully we didn't need to use it. There are 2 other windows in the room so the A/C unit needs to be moved.

As mentioned, the hotel is in an old building and the owners obviously aren’t spending any more money that they need to. The floors are refinished, but un-even and creaky. There are a lot of exposed pipes, although they are all painted. The fittings and fixtures all appear to have come from Home Depot. Much of the painting is sloppy and poorly done.

All in all, poor value for the money. I’d stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I share "pickletink's" frustration and "misfortune" although, thank goodness, not the extremities she experienced. Although relatively clean, my single room was shabby and cramped. There was no table of any sort, not even at the bedside (alarm clock, eyeglasses, book, etc. on the floor at lights out) or even a fold-out stand for my suitcase. The telephone was across the room from the bed (not encouraging for security), and the sink, with no counter, was in the bedroom. I was asked not to use my own hairdryer because the hotel's electrical system could not handle the voltage of such appliances. The only cover on the bed was a flimsy sheet and a duvet/coverlid that seemed to have covered many bodies without having been washed. The window a.c. was noisy. There were "in case of fire" instructions on the door, but the ONLY way out was down the narrow hall of wooden walls, floors, and doors to three rooms. One window in my room was filled with an air conditioner, and the other would not open (looked onto a cement-blocked and floored enclosure that houses various equipment -- what a view!)
The bathtub had no bar for one to hold onto when stepping into and out of the tub for a shower and no bathtub mat to help prevent slipping.
The positive features of the room were a fridge, first-rate room-darkening window shades, plenty of hot water, a comfortable bed (excluding the duvet),and free parking.
The staff vacated the premises at 9:00 p.m. and did not return until 9:00 a.m., including those who worked at the desk, which was located in an area even shabbier than my room. Consequently, I could not receive telephone calls at the very time I was most likely to be in the room. Nor was there any way to call for help quickly: in case of an emergency, outside phone numbers were listed in the hotel guidebook. Moreover, it was somewhat frightening to know there was no staff to observing who was entering the building between 9:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. Guests had key cards but also, apparently, did folks who worked in the offices that shared the building. How easyiwould be for these cards to get into the wrong hands.
To get to the hotel door from the parking lot requires one to walk through the automobile entrance to the street or else to step, if not stumble, over a low wall and walk around some sort of cement structure before landing on the sidewalk. Obviously there was no one to assist with luggage. My room was on the first floor, but I wondered about people on the second.
Breakfast was available but at an exorbitant price. I don't know the quality because I did not eat there.
I certainly do not share "thefrirstahs" "good value" judgment. I've stayed in various B and Bs and motels/hotels in Stratford but none so lacking in amenities and service while charging prices similar to upscale places. "Historic" is not a sufficient reason for the prices.

Room Tip: Try another place.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Creemore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

If staying at this hotel, do NOT under any circumstances stay in room # 1. Your bed is right beside a crash bar door, leading to the corridor that your room and 2 others lead off. Every time anyone goes through this door, it crashes shut right in your ear, if in bed. Otherwise it is very very clean, old fashioned, with one grumpy gentleman on the desk, with no welcome whatsoever, let alone a smile. The other 2 were very helpful, as was the lady cleaning the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 3 , and if it is a suite that you want, Nos. 6 or 7
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Westport, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Stratford morphed from a railway town into a renowned theatre destination with the Stratford Festival which draws Shakespeare fans, mostly repeaters, from a wide section of Canada and the midwest U.S.A. In the heart of the town, a block from the core and one of the three theatres, is the historic Stratford Hotel. Built in 1875, the small two-storey stone building, while charming, suffers from improvements done on what appears to be the cheap and shoddy. Our room was small with a noisy window air conditioner and a 24-inch doorway into the narrow bathroom (with tub). It was sparkling clean with an excellent bed and inroom refrigerator. Some youngster had left a note, now pinned in the lobby, that thanked the owners for a "beautiful room" which might have been a stretch. A big plus during peak tourist season is free off-street parking. On balance, good value in a picturesque town where you only want a room to sleep. Across the street is a hidden gem in a town of overpriced restaurants: Joe's Diner. Excellent food and top-notch, friendly service . We were there for breakfast since continental breakfast service at the Hotel was only on offer from June 1.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I had the misfortune to stay here in October 2010 while visiting family and friends. I was a solo female guest. I really don't know where to start... but please read on - the place is run down, the 'English garden' is an empty plot full of cigarette ends, my room was grubby and shoddy (Room 4) and there is certainly nothing of the promised Victorian feel about this place. I was booked in for 4 nights, and didn't see anyone after my initial check in, there was never anybody at reception, no promised coffee in the mornings, my room was not serviced, my bed was never changed, and my rubbish bins were never emptied. By day 3 I had to alert staff via a person working in offices which share the building, as the water which had become increasingly colder during my stay was too cold that morning to even contemplate taking a shower. Unbelievably, the hotel staff, once somebody turned up, told me that they did not know I was there, and that as they had no guests (or thought that they hadn't) they had gone home and closed the hotel. I had apparently been mistakenly written down as being a one night stay, although I had booked online for 4 nights, which was confirmed by email, and had paid 2 nights in advance. It is only by chance that I was able to get in and out with a front door key card, as the building remains in use for other businesses which share the premises.
I cannot ever forgive this kind of experience - and I was very shocked to learn that I'd been returning alone each night to a deserted 'closed' hotel, with no staff.
Shocking. Never again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Stratford Hotel? Share your experiences!