“Great Atmosphere and Food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout, Delivery
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
“Great Atmosphere and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is another of my other must-eat restaurants when in the Sault. The food is always great and reasonably priced with delicious side soup options. I normally have the Chicken Parmesan with a spaghetti and spicy meatball sauce (have to request spicy). I always select the back corner with the flat screen television on the wall and like to enjoy the soccer game while waiting for my meal. The staff are always friendly and accommodating and I've never had an issue.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Worst Meal Ever - Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We decided to visit Uncle Gino's on Second Line for supper and I have to tell you I have never had this bad of a meal ever.

I ordered spaghetti, the sauce had some kind of weird spice taste and the meatball taste like a breaded sausage ground up thing.

The worst yet......my husband ordered the perch dinner. It was two triangle process frozen pieces of fish that you buy in a box from the grocery store. His baked potato was black right through. I think it was rotten or very old. His frozen out of the bag vegetable were over microwaved and mushy.

I told the waitress that this restaurant should be embarrassed to serve a meal like this. Especially a fish dinner that should be a piece of fish and not parts is parts all squished together and they charge 14.00 for this plate. We paid over 32.00 for a horrible meal. I knew there was a reason why we haven't been there in a long time.

When a restaurant on a Thursday night is not busy, you know something is wrong. We wanted to go to Aurora's but they were packed. There was only 6 people at Uncle Gino's. So what does that tell you.

Never Ever Again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Horrible panzarotti/ rude manager”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I decided to go out for pizza on a busy Saturday night. As many of our popular Italian restaurants were beyond busy, we decided to go to Uncle Gino's as it seemed to only have two or three vehicles outside, and our family had eated there, and ordered their pizza on many occasions. Their pizza is quite good. Being almost 7 months pregnant, I was having a bit of a craving for a panzarotti, and I figured that if their pizza is good, so must be the panzarottis. There were about 4 other people in the restaurant besides us two, and two waiters working. Our waitress wasn't very personable. My husband ordered a Greek pizza, and it was very tasty and cooked to perfection. My panzarotti on the other hand....it was a very dark brown, and basically looked like a big greasy sugar donut. The top was flat, and there was oil floating on it. I had to get napkins from the other tables to soak it up, but regardless I thought it had to taste good, I cut into it, and noticed there were no mushrooms in sight. Being an easy going customer, I'm not one to complain, so I brushed it off. After one bite, things just didn't taste right...it tasted very weird, and I've had panzarottis at various Soo restaurants, they are not supposed to taste this way. It tasted like it was deep fried in old oil, it tasted like a donut, and overall was just awful. My husband had one bite as well, and he could barely swallow it. I pushed it to the side after those two bites, and had some of his pizza. We informed the male waiter, as nicely as we could, that it tasted awful. He told us that he would look into it, and "see what he could do". He returned from the kitchen, apologizing that nothing could be done. Our assumption was that he was trying to replace our food, so we said it was Ok. Once we got our bill we saw that they charged us the whole $10 for a panzarotti which we had taken two tiny bites out of. My husband approached the counter asking if maybe there was a mistake...and the waiter informed us that he wasn't ale to remove the amount from our bill. My husband was shocked, but he kept calm and insisted that it was a horrible panzarotti and that we only took two bites of it. He then asked to speak to the manager...who happened to be the owners daughter. When she came out, we went on to tell her about the panzarotti, I made sure to inform her that I am not a picky eater and we have Never sent food back, ever, even if it wasn't the best. We are the kind of people to just eat it without complaining, but this was just inedible. She insisted that they cannot give discounts based on personal taste/preference, and that they had been serving them all day without complaints. She put up a huge fight, all the while we were nothing but honest and as polite as we could be. She then stormed into the kitchen when I told her that it was also missing mushrooms. The waiter took it off our bill, after checking a few more times with her. How awful, what bad customer service, and for 10$! And we were two out of six customers in there, on a Saturday night. Know how to appreciate the customers you get, and how to make the, happy. This wasn't about personal preference, this was about something that just could not be eaten due to its awful texture, and flavour. I'm Italian, through and through, I've eaten panzarottis before, and am not a picky eater by any means. To offend us that way, over $10 dollars, is just bad business sense. And it wasn't about the money, it was the principle.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“15 years later and still great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Coincidentally it turned out that we had visited this restaurant during our last trip through Sault Ste Marie. We were pleasantly surprised to find it is still owned by the same Italian family. the food was excellent My wife had the manicotti which came with a side salad. I yielding to temptation nd had the Panzeratti. It was huge and could easily have satisfied both of us. Anyway it was very good and what I didn't finish I took home for another meal. Service ( from the new waitress) was excellent -attentive, fast and personable. Hopefully it won't be 15 years until we visit here again.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Quispamsis, Canada
“PANZEROTTI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Uncle Gino's has the best, the biggest and the most flavorful panzerotti I have ever had. The ingredients are fresh and there are tons of options. The sauce is authentic, I even asked for more sauce to dip in. This panzerotti was more than enough for 3 meals but of course it tasted so good that I could not stop eating it. I cannot wait to go back, my mouth is watering now.

Visited December 2011