“What was I Thinking?????” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie

Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie
You added Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   503 Trunk Road, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 3T1, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Niagara Falls, Canada
“What was I Thinking?????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I found what looked to be a quaint motel on Trunk Road but I was traveling alone so listened to my husband who said go with a chain. The room was terrible. Smelly. Dirty. The chain lock was broken on the bottom and looked as if someone kicked the door open. None of the lamps worked and it was dark. I could see spots of daylight coming through the holes in the curtains. When's the last time you saw a huge metal bottle opener attached to the vanity? Rough just doesn't say enough. So bad that I read the name off the welding truck parked next to me and told my husband that if he received a call from the police in the morning start there. I paid $72 to be frightened. Thank goodness it was Mon. and I had wifi and the Blacklist on TV to keep me company. In the morning the hairdryer blew up into black smoke in my hands which I reported before I left. Yuck!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I booked the hotel using hotwire and get the room for $56 which is great. I just need somewhere to sleep, while I'm in the city visiting people. I wouldn't stay there if I was trying to relax and actually enjoy the site or anything like that. Just to have a quick rest it's fine though. The rooms on the second floor seem to be a little more updated and have comfortable beds, more so then the ones on the ground floor. Sometimes you can get a smell of cigarettes and weed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

It was my first time driving to Sault Ste Marie and we stopped after a driving in heavy fog and misty rain at night. The hotel was conveniently located and since I didn't know the area we decided to stay the night.
The desk clerk was changing shifts so he was tired but accommodating with my questions.
The room was dirty and run down. The bed mattresses were almost like sleeping on the box springs. The t.v. didn't work either. Thankfully we were too tired to care so we slept.
The continental breakfast was awful. The milk was sour, the apples were all bruised, the room was filthy, the chairs hadn't been cleaned in a long time and were covered in crumbs.
Down the road after another day of travel I paid only $20 more and felt I had landed in luxury.
This is definitely a hotel I would forget.

Room Tip: Check the room before you committ.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Nice hotel for the affordable price we paid. Hotel is a little bit run down but all the time they keep on improving. Staff and management are great. Very friendly and always there to assist. I could not ask for more and I was very happy with my stay. Will recommend for the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Excellent customer service!!! :) As soon as I arrived to the hotel it was clean and the staff was very welcoming and helpful. The rooms were clean and affordable. I would highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Cambridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The hotel as a whole is run down and unkept, the greyhound station attached to hotel had very sketchy people hanging out in the parking lot. Found out out toilet didn't work at 10pm and had to take the kids out of bed and move rooms...the second room had dirty carpet and could not easily access the room from out side. We were told we could drive around and park outside of the room but the out side door had not been shovelled and had formed an "ice bank" outside the door. Would not recommend to anybody...didn't even feel safe leaving out vehicle out in the parking lot!

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Sault Ste Marie? Share your experiences!