“So bad, it's funny” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chipican Motel

You added Chipican Motel to your Saves list
Chipican Motel
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   1144 Christina St N, Sarnia, Ontario ON N7V 3C3, Canada   |
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Sarnia
Kitchener
“So bad, it's funny”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

Not consulting Trip Advisor before we booked this motel was our first mistake. Upon arriving, we were verbally harassed by another person staying at the motel, and should have left right then and there. Since Bayfest is the busiest time of the year, all the other hotels in the area were sold out. The person at the desk charged us more money then they quoted online, and we tried to refund the room, and they wouldn't let us.

Once we saw the condition of the rooms we understood why.... It was the most disgusting room I have ever BEEN in, nevermind slept in. The walls were 70s velvet red wallpaper, the capet was stained and had not been vaccumed in a very long time. The beds were disgusting, and my sheet actually had a knife shaped hole in it. Needless to say, I slept on top of the blankets and kept my shoes on at all times. The next day I wanted to take a shower, and was blown away by the moonsoon that the shower pressure created. I definitely didn't expect that first thing in the morning. The shower pressure was so high, I could barely even stand it. We asked the manager for more towels and we never got them... not that I expected to actually get them anyways.

The second night there was a thunderstorm, and our power continually shut on and off for about an hour, and we thought we were going to die. We felt like we were in a horror movie, and that someone was going to break into our room at any second. Not to mention the lock on our door wasn't secure at all.

The third day we met some of the other people who were also duped into staying at the Chipican, and made some friends through our shared hate for this hotel.

The whole experience was really quite comical because the Chipican's slogan on the front says "Comfortable, Affordable and Quality" which was quite ironic considering it wasn't any of those things.

• Liked — I enjoyed waving goodbye as I drove away
  • Disliked — Staying there.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

I enjoyed staying at the Chipican Motel. The rooms are clean, service is excellent. Very decent rates. Management & staff are nice people & friendly, and friendliness goes a long way with customers.

• Liked — Location and Decent Rates
  • Disliked — No Swimming Pool
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2007

Comparing to the rent we paid the motel room was decent and above our expectation. It was comfortable, clean and very quiet. Next door restaurant meal was very delicious. We were visiting some of our relatives during Christmas holidays and next time again it will be our place of stay for sure.

Stayed December 2006
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

This place is absolutely disgusting. We walked into the room, turned on the light, and saw nothing but filth. One bed was messed up, there was dust covering all furniture, what seemed to be blood stains all over the back of the door. The bathroom was the grossest thing I've ever seen -- black mold/mildew growing in the shower, toilet stained brown. The air conditioning unit was duct taped into the window, the "wonderful" fridge & microwave dated back to the 80's.. Stains on the carpets, cigarette burns in the sheets, garbage in the drawers.. It was as though someone had just come in, made the beds, and the room was abandoned for a number of years.

Front desk staff was not polite or courteous in any way. We were stuck with a prepaid reservation and nowhere else to go at 3am. Not worth the money, however cheap the rates may be.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING.
  • Tips/Secrets — don't come!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2006

I usually go to sarnia at least once every month for my business trip and always stay at this motel. The reasons are, quite and nice location, lowest price in town, big and fairly clean rooms. The best part is it is located right across a beautiful park which is my favorite place in whole town and I always like to walk in that after supper in the next door restaurant.

• Liked — location and low rates
  • Disliked — older look
  • Tips/Secrets — If you staying longer like a week they have special deals
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

This place is the kind of place you would drive by and wonder "who would stay there" Room rentals very cheap by the week.
Curtains are dirty and hanging off the windows. The restaurant next door is a good cheap steak place (different owners) but the hotel needs to be gutted

• Stayed August 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

I stayed at this motel for a night during the Bayfest weekend. Their rooms were fine, not too fancy and luxurious. The room I had, had all the basic necessities I required and I found it to be a decent enough place to stay peacefully at for the night, with a pretty reasonable price.

When I went there the motel was almost fully booked, but the staff did a good job of keeping it very quiet during the night time. My room had everything they said, though I really had no use for the mini-fridge or microwave, because I dined at the next door Chipican Restaurant. I strongly recommend that restaurant to anyone who has the chance of stopping by there. They truly served some of the best steaks I've ever had.

I read some of the other reviews from some of the other travelers here, and I think some of them simply had different expectations than I had, or were simply impossible to please, complaining about every little thing.

Everything is nearby this motel's location, and I'd probably stay there again, especially for rate I recieved.

• Liked — Chipican Restaurant
  • Disliked — Bayfest was a bit of a bore
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Chipican Motel? Share your experiences!