“I would give it 5 stars but.......” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 179 Restaurants in Sarnia
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A small family owned restaurant serving homemade recipes & craft beer. CLOSED SUNDAYS & MONDAYS OPEN WED-SAT FOR DINNER AT FIVE PM.
“I would give it 5 stars but.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The only reason I won't give it 5 stars, is because they are friends of mine. Presentation, time, taste, atmosphere, all rock. Perfect place to gather with a group, or perhaps date night?!! I will definitely eat, drink, and be merry there again.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
nomnom31, Manager at Ravenous Gastropub, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Well thank you ! It's always a pleasure when I see your lil face walk through the door Miss B.

“FABULOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

My partner and I had been hearing great things about this place for quite some time, so we decided to give it a whirl. We were definetly not dissappointed. We were welcomed and seated right away at a cute candle lit table by the window. The server was very knowledgeable about the different beer selections and helped us to choose a beer that would suit our aquired tastes. My partner chose an Amber Ale & I had a ginger beer which was amazing! When it came time to order our server suggested the Bacon Beer- Jam flatbread. The flavours were delicious and rich. For dinner I had the salmon with a hollandaise sauce, and my partner tried the Curry pie. THE FOOD WAS EXCELLENT. The Ambiance was romantic, unique, and tasteful. We are looking forward to the warmer weather so we can take advantage of that great looking patio.
This place is great for Sarnia, and we definetly will be recommending this place to family and friends.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you! It warms my heart to know you had a lovely experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon :)
“What a suprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This was our first time having dinner at The Ravenous but it will not be our last. I knew the owners from their restaurant in Brights Grove 15 yrs ago. The Quality and presentation of our food was just as good if not better than in Brights Grove. The atmosphere was just what we wanted .It was Valentines day as well as our wedding anniversary,The owners introduced us to the other clients seated next to us,it was just like a family gathering. We had a lot of memorable fun. Thank's Tommy and Marianne. We will be back. Regards, Bernie & Colette Lajoie Sarnia On.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
nomnom31, Manager at Ravenous Gastropub, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed your anniversary & valentines! All of you seemed to be having a blast in the front window, and you were a pleasure to serve. Friendly people out to have a good time!Perfect guests! Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and we look forward to taking care of you again. Thank you & God bless :)
“Dissappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Have eaten there before but we were disappointed this time. The restaurant was busy and the food was good other than my T Bone steak? which was so thin it was more like a fast fry steak but I was so hungry after a fairly lengthy wait so I started to eat it so when the waitress came by I showed her & she said she would report it but no one came to see if they could do something about it. We felt completely ignored, NOT good business nor did management come by the tables all evening to ask anyone if everything was ok! We said something again before paying and they discounted the steak dinner but still did not come to us or apologize .I doubt we will return, too bad as Sarnia needs good restaurants. Restaurant has atmosphere and nice decor but lacks personal service. Also the wine was not great, cheap brands and they should invest in decent wine glasses that would let the wine breathe.

Visited February 2014
nomnom31, Manager at Ravenous Gastropub, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Well it appears Valentines & the T-bones were not a hit. Our bad. We really try the best we can, and unfortunetly this was an apparent off night. An extremely busy evening and our apologies if everything was not up to par. As a small, independent, family owned establishment we do take your comments into consideration, to try and better ourselves for the next guest experience. T-bone's not a hit. Understood. We won't be ordering those for our menu in the future.You did note , that we did discount the item. As manager (the only other person that was working) was also extremely busy & I apologize I was unable to adress the situation myself.But alas , that's the restaurant biz, hectic and stressfull, and trying to get through the evening with a smile on your face without shedding a tear. Much apologies, Thank you & God Bless
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I very rarely get out to dinner, but thought I would try something new for Valentines Day. First off, the mens washroom was so cold he could see his breath. The women's washroom was a little better due to the fact that there was an electric space heater by the door way so it was tolerable. The mans T bone steak beside us was the thickness of a fast fry steak and when he complained about it nothing was done. We arrived and order our appetizers, which took close to 1/2 hour for our appetizers which was ok but then we ordered our meal and it took a very long time. I don't usually complain and have been in the restaurant industry long enough to be patient, however three other tables ordered appetizers, meals and got their bill before we received our meals. When asked when our meals were coming the server said it was coming right out. The manager never came by to see how we were doing, if our meals were ok even after the server knew it was taking too long. We had empty drinks and no food for a very long time. We didn't finish our meals, no dessert and no coffee. We were speaking with the other tables that noticed we were sitting for a long time while we were waiting for our food with a staff member that was cleaning tables as well as the one that seated us as comments were being said about wait times, what was management doing about us, complimentary drink or appetizers etc. but no one came up to us and offered anything. The food itself was no good. The bruschetta was bland, the escargot tasted like salt and the roast beef was more like a pot roast. For the price I paid I expected a better quality cut of meat. Our server was friendly enough, however for whatever the reason was that our food was taking so long be it her mistake or a kitchen back up she should have acknowledged us and told us what was happening. The server was very aware that we were not happy with the wait time or our meals, but didn't seem to care. On my way out I say one of the cooks in a white chefs jacket downing a glass of wine, it was 8:00. I believe every place can have an off night, however I will not return to this establishment and would tell other the same.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
nomnom31, Manager at Ravenous Gastropub, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Truly sorry that you did not enjoy yourself. Last night was a very busy evening & sometimes in life things don't go exactly to plan. We really truly want everyone to have the best experience possible.
Wait times near the end did take longer than expected, but then again we are a small restaurant. With a small kitchen and each dish is individually prepared for each person. On a night like Valentines or New Years, where it's extremely busy we all wish for everything to run smoothly but unfortunetly sometimes things happen. As for the cold washrooms, yes it's a very old building and has some heating issues. The gentleman with the Steak at the table beside you. He actually did get his meal comped. And the cook drinking a glass of wine, was the owner taking a break from helping in the kitchen. We recently had to let go one of our chef's, and he was filling in and taking a short break after a long exhausting busy day. Again truly sorry you did not have a good experience. I appreciate you for taking the time to write this review. Thank you & God Bless