“History In Sight” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 15 Attractions in Peterborough
Type: History Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: North America's only canoe museum.
Roseneath, Canada
8 attraction reviews
“History In Sight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This museum is a small but great part of Canadian History. Well worth your time and you need to spend time to see it all.
Even Pierre of the Trudeau Clan is well represented. He was a fine canoeist.

Visited August 2012

ontario, cda
7 attraction reviews
“Canadian indeed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I just discovered this museum existed when I was planning my trip to Ottawa in October. I wanted a one night stopover and didn't want to do the whole trek via the 401. Peterborough is an excellent part way point to get off the beaten track and enjoy the sights and scenes of the TransCanada.

I would have to say I have had only a passing interest in canoes or canoeing but this museum blew me away with its collection and yes, representation from all parts of Canada. I really regretted not giving it more time - I arrived after three and they close at five - but I would definitely go back.
While I was able to make my way around the entire facility to see all the exhibits I did not take the time to view the various video clips placed throughout.
All of the artifacts are labelled as to origin, materials and purpose so there is a fair bit of reading. This might limit the non English speakers experience but I think everyone would gain an appreciation for the builders of these canoes (and kayaks) and the various ways they contributed to the growth and development of this vast country.

Well done Canadian Canoe Museum

I was there on a Monday in mid October - there were maybe eight of us in the whole place.

Also, my B&B host provided me with a visitors guide with many discount vouchers, including a $2.00 one for the Canadian Canoe Museum. (It's well worth the full price though)

Qualicum Beach, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“quite a collection of canoes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

the exhibits were well thought out and videos running added a sense of history - staff very helpful & nice gift store

Santa Rosa, California
11 attraction reviews
“Great Canoe museum in Peterborough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We really enjoyed the Canadian Canoe Museum with historical canoes of all kinds, and live demo of paddle and canoe making. Antique canoes from Very informative displays. Could have better lighting though. http://www.canoemuseum.ca/

Visited October 2012
“Industrial Exterior Belies Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The canoe in its many incarnations was critical to opening up the vast wilderness of Canada to settlement. It's use for sport and recreation continues the enduring legacy and high profile in this great country of ours.
The Canadian Canoe museum is one of a kind. From the moment we stepped inside the rather staid exterior walls, we were blown away by the wonderful collection, interesting interactive activities (paddle carving, blanket weaving etc.) and knowledgeable staff.
We done and well worth a visit.

Visited July 2012