“Very Accommodating” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Very Accommodating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Given I'm a 20+ year vegetarian, you wouldn't expect to see me in a steak house, and normally you wouldn't, but my family (who are meat eaters) were anxious to visit and so i went along. Decor is classic roadhouse, pine and curved corners. Linen napkins were a nice touch and the table was set for fine dining, not something you expect in a roadhouse. Portions were ample and service was polite and quick. All enjoyed their steaks and I had a Prima Vera. All was tasty though a little "oil drenched" IMO. Our server was very accommodating of my "dietary needs" and checked a number of times with the kitchen to ensure I wasn't getting a meat based sauce or eggs in my salad. Restaurant was busy and looked like it was doing good business, a sure indication this restaurant consistently does a good job.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Awesome!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This place is one of the best steak restaurants in Peterborough. The food is fabulous and the service was great also. The prices are not bad for the quality of food they serve.

Visited October 2012
Peterborough, Canada
“Very disappointed and won't return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Went there for the first time ( gift certificate) Immediately noticed a tired, cramped, outdated interior. Reservations and service was good but that's where the good part ended.
The meal was one of the poorest we have ever had and we were so surprised given they won the public voted award for best steak house in Peterborough. Who ever voted on that???? It sure doesn't say much for the Peterborough culinary interests.
We ahd the escargot and stuffed mushroom appetizers: 12 little escargot sitting in a tomato broth with peppers and 2 thin, small slices of garlic nann bread. Stuffed mushrooms were barely edible with a strong crab taste mixed in a dried creamcheese mixture on withered mushrooms. Main course got worse with the filet mignon and New York strip steaks. The fillet was a decent size and tender but had a "different taste" ( not sure what- maybe the spice??) The New York steak was thin, overcooked ( asked for med rare) and had a very off taste- truly feel it was tainted, even to the smell of it. The twice baked potatoes were not edible- had to have been made a day or so before and rehaeated- very stale taste. The roasted potatoes were the same- stale tasting and reheated. Mushrooms that come with the steak meals were from a can, soggy and grey. Vegetables were not fresh at all. Wine list is meager, basic and high priced. We did speak to the owner as it is only fair in business to let her know of the poor quality of food. She was most apologetic and assured us that their food is the freshest! NOT! She also gave us a coupon worth a fifth of the cost of our meal- we did not want any compensation at all as that was not the point of mentioning our concerns to her so I don't think she grasped our conversation at all. The coupon won't be used as we will never be back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“great steak house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

great choices, really tasty food, great steaks, pasta, seafood...our server last time was awesome (Angela)...prices are worth it for a special nite out

Visited October 2012
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
“Not what I would expect from a Steak House”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I've been here a few times for birthdays and because we received gift certificates. There's nothing particularly wrong with the steak, but there's nothing great about it either. I make a far superior steak at home for a fraction of the price. The vegetables are always soggy and bland, not at all what one would expect from a restaurant that's supposed to be one of the best in town. I like to try to give a place a fair shot, but after several visits, I'm truly unclear on what people see in this place. The atmosphere is fine, the service is decent, but the food is sub-par in my books. The only thing I'd eat there again in their desserts. Now THAT is good food. But not enough for me to return for their meals.

• Visited January 2012