“Perfect place to go to find peace of mind” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Wandering Pheasant Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pelee Island
The Wandering Pheasant Inn
You added The Wandering Pheasant Inn to your Saves list
1060 East-West Road, Ontario N0R 1M0, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 14 Pelee Island B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Perfect place to go to find peace of mind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I (along with our car and kayaks) enjoy the 2 hour ferry ride from Sandusky OH that transports not just our luggage but our minds to a different place. The Canadian island of Pelee is a unique and special place to "practice doing nothing". The island is unspoiled by commercialism and has a laid back feeling that is just right for a get away that really lets you feel like you've had a break from your busy life. Biking is a joy on the island because of so few cars and the scenery is great-very safe, too. The Wandering Pheasant Inn provided my husband and I with a soul refreshing experience that we are still relaxed from and we cannot wait to return. Sandra and Rita have done a wonderful job creating a lodge experience that is very rare to find. The care that they take to make the historical home feel welcoming is truely what makes the place feel so special. I loved the no shoe policy and enjoyed walking on clean floors in my bare feet. I also loved the quietness (except the soothing sounds of the "ocean" thru my bedroom window) as the beautiful grounds are rendered a kid/pet free zone. Food was so fresh and beautifully prepared! We LOVE this place and the met Canadians that were so wonderful. Great conversation with lovely people who made us feel like we were family on a vacation together. If you seek a gentle sweet spot to just sit and think about things, this is it. No TV to interfere with sitting down with a good book in the lovely living room. The decor is just right. Not stuffy or pretentious but interesting and cozy. All the bedrooms have a fun theme and contain little thoughtful touches that show the attention to detail Sandra and Rita have given to each room. They are two sweet cousins that work so hard to make everyones stay enjoyable and are both are really special people. I recommend this Inn whole heartedly!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are large and some small, rooms on the east can hear the waves if the weather is n...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a rustic old inn with a lot of charm, located on Pelee Island, which is also rustic with a lot of charm; but we were taken by surprise when we were told upon arrival to take off our shoes and leave them by the front door! Unlike a ryokan in Japan, however, there were no slippers at hand for us to put on, so we had to go barefoot, which was a bit unpleasant at first. But once we got used to this practice, it was no problem. The bedrooms each had a delightful theme -- heaven's gate, the music room, the winery, and such -- and were quite small, but you have to remember that this had been a hunting club 100 yrs ago. Bathrooms were shared, but everything was immaculate, and the breakfast was perfect, esp. the freshly baked muffins. My husband is vegan, and Sandra and Rita went out of their way to accommodate him. We need more time to explore Pelee by bike, so plan to come back in the fall when the birds are heading south from Canada. Pelee is the southernmost point in Canada, and this inn the southernmost inn! Only one ferry leaves the US daily, so be sure to book passage on it before making any reservations on the island. You will need your passport. Four ferries go between Pelee and the Canadian mainland, so traveling north from Pelee is easier.

Room Tip: If you pay a bit more, you may choose a suite, which is on one floor and has its own private bath, a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We had a wonderful time on Pelee island . Very relaxing. Sandra and Rita even made it more enjoyable. They are friendly and willing to please. When driving down the lane way this inn gives you a welcoming feeling. The inn is very clean and homie. You start your day with fresh coffee , juice,muffans, home made bread and jams etc. The breakfast was wonderful. If they were serving somehing you didn't like they were more then willing to get you something else. It was very hot when we stayed on the island the inn was very comfortable. The screened in area gives you a chance sit and chat with other traveller's. Make sure you bring bug spray if you plan to do any walking. If you think you need something make sure you bring it with you there is no general store. The winery has a great the tour. We liked that after we did the tour and the taste testing then you could enjoy the beautiful gounds. Purchance a bottle of wine and some food go out the back to BBQ your food drink your wine and enjoy the peaceful surronding. We hope to return someday and will stay here again.Thanks Sandra and Rita for making this stay one to share with are freinds and family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

At the risk of sounding like a snob I would say that a trip to Peelee Island is for "travellers" rather than for "tourists". My husband and I said it reminded us of a combination of northern Ontario and Belize, Central America - and that's the way we like it! Friendly, rustic and imbuing one with a sense of adventure. If your style of accommodation is 5-star, with all the bells and whistles, then Peelee Island is probably not for you. That said, our stay at The Wandering Pheasant Inn was delightful, starting with the owner Sandra and her sidekick Rita. Their warm welcome made us feel at home immediately. We chose a suite in the separate annex ( a four suite building at the back of the property) because each suite had a private bathroom). In the main house bathrooms are sometimes shared - depending upon the number of guests. Our suite included a large room with a comfortable sitting area, a small coffee bar with coffee maker and kettle and supplies. The bathroom was 3 piece with shower only but very clean and well supplied with toiletries. But, the highlight of the room was the very comfortable bed! As comfortable as ours at home. After a good night's sleep we were treated to one of Sandra's great breakfasts. Fresh fruit, freshly baked muffins and a delicious and healthy vegetable omelet. My husband is a jam fiend and when Rita set a tray of about 10 homemade jams in front of him he was in heaven! Other amenities at the Inn include a sandy beach about 2 minutes walk away; a screened-in hot tub where we enjoyed a bottle of wine from the winery late one evening and also a screened-in gazebo. Oh, how could I almost forget - our suite had a spacious screened-in porch with a comfortable hammock. Guess who got that? One tip Sandra gave me when I called to book our room was to check that there is room on the ferry, especially if you intend to bring your car, which I strongly recommend. We had no trouble getting on. If you're looking for a laid back, relaxing get-away from the hustle and bustle of mainland Ontario Peelee Island is the place to go. But be prepared to smile and wave because absolutely EVERYONE on the island gives you a friendly greeting!

Room Tip: If you prefer a private bath choose one of the suites in the building at the back of the property. A...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Sandra and the team at The Wandering Pheasant help make your stay extremely comfortable and enjoyable. The rooms are clean, the breakfast is delicious (we had creme brule french toast on one day, veggie omlette on another day, fruit, bottomless coffee, muffins, O.J., and more! The hot tub is very relaxing! The grounds are lovely and the beach is 60 seconds away. Totally recommend this place (we were on a couples escape--and this place was great for that!) don't worry that it's on the south side of the island-- just rent a bike and away you go! It's really not that far--it's a small island! The beach is way better on the south anyways!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Corunna, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

The Owner of this Inn puts her heart and soul into this hotel. Up every morning at 5:00 am she serves a delicious breakfast including homemade jams, jellies and muffins. The hospitality was awesome and she makes sure everyone is comfortable and happy. I wanted to take my boyfriend back with me last year but never got the chance. Will be returning this year with a group of girlfriends to enjoy the pleasant surroundings and the winery. Also, enjoyed the hottub and close proximity to the beach. The decor and cleanliness of the Inn was excellent. Enjoyed the local restaurants and biking!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
London, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

My husband and I went to Peelee Island for Friday Sept 2nd and Saturday Sept 3rd/11. We traveled a great many places and stayed at many inn's/B&B's and I don't think I have ever been so torn on a property quite like this one.

I'll start with the Pros: The location is very quiet. It's close to a beach. Down the street from the winery, which is a major attraction there. The hosts provide you with wine passes, so you aren't paying the entrance fee(which is only 5 dollars). The inn doesn't allow people under the age of 18, which is a wonderful thing when going somewhere to relax. There is a hot tub and gazebo both are which screened in. The property is large, so you don't really feel cramped.

The cons: If you plan to arrive on the island and the only transportation you plan to bring are your bikes--this inn is far from a great many things. The lighthouse attraction, the only general store in town. 3 out of the 4 restaurants on the island are atleast 15km away.

The inn is close(about 5 km)to a tavern/restaurant. However, it's a place you dont want to eat every meal. The taxi service is great. 12 dollars and Mo will take you anywhere on the island. However, be careful, because Mo doesn't run until the taverns close. So if you dont drive, make sure you have a way back to your accomodation.

There is quite the price difference with the 2 major restaurants on the island. The Westview is anything from 6.95 and serves things in baskets. The typical bar food(5km from the inn). The Anchor & Wheel is $24.95 minimum. It does include soup, salad and entree for that price. We didn't eat there, but heard from another guest, once the sun goes down, it's very hard to sit outside on the patio due to the bugs.

We chose this place because of the hot tub, the suite option,which had ensuite bathrooms(after reading a review on here about how chaotic someone found the shared ones)and heard nice things about the gourmet breakfasts.

The fresh baked muffins in the morning, with the little fruit cup and coffee were wonderful. What I wish was an option: Was knowing what was going to be on the breakfast menu each morning. My husband was in love with her breakfasts, I on the other hand, didn't really care for the french toast or the egg contraption that looked like mushed up salad. However, the next morning, the home fries were amazing! Having a guide to what guests could expect to eat, would perhaps solve this, by allowing guests to have more of something and decline another option.

The suite is clean and situated at the back of the property. Im torn here, I read a review where someone said there was no air conditioning and the beds were old. We had a nice cool room, which was great, because after biking 10km to the inn--it was very much needed! The bed was comfortable, but the fitted sheet didnt seem to really fit, so as a result-- it kept coming off. Some would describe the inn as "old"(i think i also read that in a review). I think it's both a combination of old and antique-ish. I do believe the owner is trying for the latter. Which gives the inn a nice historic appreciation. The walls for the suites are thin, so you are able to hear the couple next door and noise seems to travel through the room at times.

The room had the amenities for the bathroom. However, if you are looking for a tv, phone, note pad, pen, kleenex etc. Those are not in the room. (we were aware of the first couple,which was fine with us). The bathroom is modern, but there is no tub. The suite is 175/night. It does have a private veranda with a hammock, which is very nice. However, the veranda retained alot of heat. The chairs in the front porch are also low, so it's hard to look out onto the property. There are signs everywhere in the suite about what you should not be doing.

There are ALOT of bugs. I really would recommend you bring something for that. The screened in areas are a huge help for that because without them the flies would just eat you alive(yes it's the flies that bite and not the mosquitos!). A couple people we spoke with also had the same complaint for the beaches and trying to see the lighthouse. The bugs are so bad, it makes those trips short lived.Another guest did mention beaches on the west side had no bugs.

Rita was very friendly and very helpful in helping us decide how we wanted to spend our afternoon and where we could get some snacks. The other one seemed distant and almost unfriendly. She didn't seem all that interested in explaining things to do on the island, or where we could get something to eat. I asked the question, "do they deliver?" A.)I'm from the mainland where that is an option. B.)I biked 10km with 30lbs on my back in 42 degrees and wasnt all that interested in going out back into the heat if I didn't need too.C.)I would need to bike to and from somewhere before nightfall(for safety), since there are no lights on the roads She seemed almost in shock one would ask the question and borderline offended. I, however, was dead serious:)
(Can i not pay Mo to pick up my food and bring it to me?Is that not an option?) If it wasnt for Rita's kind and helpful nature and wonderful smile, that inn would lack exceptional customer service.

In the end, the hot tub made that inn completely wonderful. There is something great about being able to sit outside, protected from bugs, and being able to watch a storm come in with some very sore muscles from biking.

Room Tip: End unit suite(less traffic and noise that way)also gives you a private bathroom and are very spacio...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wandering Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!