“I shall return” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #689 of 2,149 Restaurants in Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario,CANADA
“I shall return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I wanted to make a change and visit a different restaurant on Corso Italia in Ottawa. Something simple. Our standard has been la Trattoria Italia, a few doors north of this one. So I compared the food fare, presentation, service, ambiance and..price. Da Sergio is located below street level but, for warmer days, has a sidewalk café style outside. It is a few years old and therefore is not as upgraded as my Trattoria benchmark. Also, I should add that few if nobody can match Trattoria's wine cellar. However, my priority for the moment was "a good meal", at a reasonable price. And that, I got. It was fresh,tasty and easy to digest. As we headed back home, we shared on the presentation, freshness and "italianness" of the recipes. And our comments were wholly positive. Pricewise, it is not out of range but tends to be 15% over priced regarding the more expensive bottles, while wine by the carafe is perfectly well priced. This is a "café" and not a full dress table, and so, the price range tends to be slightly higher than should be, but the food was so good that I plan to return. Oh, and service? you couldn't get more attention, even when delivering a baby:-) In short, go there for an informal chat with a friend, over a litre of open wine and simple true traditional italian food.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ottawa, Canada
“Enjoyable evening....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

5 friends (late 30, 50s and 60s) professionals eat out often.... Celebrated a birthday... Most have been there many times before... Relatively quiet given sunday evening... Ordered various appetizers --calamari and smelts delicious... Well prepared fish dishes, a good indicator of a good italian restaurant. The anti pasto was good but over priced for the dish. The fish of the day was very good and the stuffed veal was delicious as well as the veal of the day. Most opted for penne rather than vegetables... Pasta cooked al dente, sauce delicious but everyone pasta was cold! Not sure how that happened, given restaurant was not busy.... Waitress was very efficient.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
OIttawa
“excellant service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were a group of 18 persons who reserved ahead of time, we had calamari that was the best I have ever tasted, light and airy, anitpasto plates that were very well served with a great variety, salad was very fresh, pasta dish was more than we could ask for, and the main course of veal was delicate and full of flavour. I wish I also had the recipe to the pasta sauce.. The service was great, very accommodating and friendly. Will certainly go again and bring friends and family.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Food OK, service appalling!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were checking out the menus down Preston on our first visit to Ottawa and decided to go to Da Sergio only because the other restaurant we had in mind had a line up. Big mistake. We were rushed in, seated and were not even offered water or...A MENU!!! One of us has to get up after nearly 10 minutes to GET menus. The "manager" (or whatever his role is) then came over and said "you're gonna have to wait for your food. It's busy, tonight". He came back a few minutes later, took our wine order and then came back with these ridiculously huge wine glasses filled almost to the rim with lousy Sangiovese. A few minutes later, he came back with a note pad and a pencil, stood by the table and loudly said "YES?". We ordered the caprese salad and the ravioli of the day (chicken in a rosé sauce). The food was excellent, the caprese was the best I have ever had in a restaurant and the pasta was obviously home-made, but we will, however, NEVER, EVER, EVER go back there again. The attitude of the waiter or manager, an older guy with a three-piece suit (ridiculously overdressed for a basement restaurant with an incredibly tacky 70's decor), his rude manner, were enough to make us never want to go back again. Too bad, because the food was actually decent. By the end of the meal, we were fuming. They have GOT to do something about that guy. There are bad reviews all over the Net because of him.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Read First and decide”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

When for lunch june 27

First we ordered Antipasto Misto
Fresh italian deli meats, fresh bocconcini chesse and an assortment of our chef’s specialties

We rec'd 4 kind of meat which I though they forgot because they put on bottom of plate and could barely see it because they top with CAN artichoke, CAN eggplant, 8 or 9 olives, 4 slice tomatos, 4 to 6 hot pepper.They put a drizil of oil all over, therefore the meat was wet with all the juice of veg and oil...it was eatable but....the meat should be dry not juicy. MY friend wanted to leave and go eat the main course at restaurant beside, but we decide to stay give them a chance.

I went for the spaguetti vongole (clam, olive oil and garlic), it was excellent, except, the plate was full of baby clam all over and to decorate, they put 3 big clam, the shell all broken. I asked to see the cook and ask why all broken. Claim and mussel if they dont close before cooking, they are dead. If they dont open while cooking, they are dead and if they are cracked, they should be discared because they might contain bacteria.

THe chef told us to pay the bill and get the F. of his restaurant and to never come back. The owner arrive as we leave and are leaving. WE told him of the situation he was explaining that if clam dont open when cookin, they force it open and that how it break???? I could not beleive what he said. The chef (is son) again arrive and tell us again to F.O. and to leave...we did.

Now chose were you want to eat....

Now decide were you want to eat.

• Visited June 2012