“Great Place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Spokane
“Great Place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Excellent Service from the first moment to departure. It started with a warm welcome at the airport when I was picked up and continued with pleasant smiles, excellent service and a caring attitude.

The location was perfect - right next to the airport.

Rooms are spacious, clean with the right level of amenities and internet speed is fast (for a hotel).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Montreal, QC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

There isn't really much to say about this hotel other than the fact the rooms are large, clean, well equipped and the staff are friendly and helpful. We stayed there for a last minute weekend get-away and found it incredibly solid for the price we paid. We rented a King Suite so we could have a separate room for the toddler and actually burst out laughing when we first walked in; we just couldn't believe how big it was for $130/night. Two flat screens kept everyone entertained in the evening and the king size bed was insanely comfortable. Second best bed I've had in a hotel (first was Westin Edmonton). The pool/jacuzzi were clean and perfect temperatures, although proper changing rooms would be nice. The restaurant and room service prices were surprisingly modest and the quality was what you'd expect. The "cold breakfast" in the lobby restaurant was $6.95 and included more than enough for most people. I had coffee, juice, bagel, croissant, fruit salad and yogurt. Couldn't even get that much at Tim Horton's for that price!

I've stayed in hotels rated 4 stars that pale in comparison to this place and while the Hilton Garden Inn doesn't do anything spectacular, it does everything very well. In this day & age of corporate cost cutting and weak customer service, I'll take "very well" across the board any day!

Room Tip: King Suites are huge and surprisingly affordable.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Papa, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton from the 12th to 18th of November (room 602) and again on the 24th for one night (room 319). The location was perfect for me given that I was visiting family and friends located across Ottawa and didn't want the hastle of having to pay parking rates that downtown hotels require.

The staff were extremely friendly and professional with kudos going to the bartender at the lobby bar, 'The Great North American Grill'. The rooms were extremely spacious, quiet, and clean, although the bathroom fans were a little noisy. Food was delicious with good serving sizes and reasonably priced.

The only observation I have where improvements can be made is that the hotel does not exchange EUR. My daughter stayed with me on my last night in Ottawa and required a cab to get to classes at the local college in the morning. The bank machine was down at the hotel and I only had EUR on me but the hotel would not exchange. Given the Hilton is an airport hotel at an international airport which receives flights from Europe (i.e. Frankfurt), it would be beneficial to European travellers if their money could be exchanged if required. In the end, problem was solved by taking the shuttle to the airport to use the bank machine there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I did not stay at this hotel, but went to a 3 days meeting. It is a nice hotel, nothing around the area but the restaurant in the hotel They had free coffee/tea the first day for us, but started charging the second and and third day, since we were not guests. The room they put us in was very cold and everybody needed warm beverages most of the time....I went to a lot of meeting/convention at different hotels, but never encounter such experience as this one...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
AlisonHunter, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our hotel. It was in fact, not the hotel that provided the free coffee, it was the event organizer and they chose not to provide coffee on day 2 or 3. Also, the temperature of the room was requested by the event organizer. Since it was a seminar, they wanted to keep attendees alert. We are sorry these items made you not have an exceptional experience at our hotel. Since you live in the city, we hope that come back in the future and perhaps try a meal in our world class restaurant.
State Road, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I chose this hotel for its proximity to the Ottawa airport, because I was flying out very early the next morning and needed a hotel with a shuttle. (If I had been in town for sightseeing, I would have definitely chosen a downtown hotel, as the airport is about 20 minutes outside town, and a $30.00 cab drive)This is a very nice hotel - my room was huge, immaculately clean, totally soundproofed from airport and highway noise. Great bed and thick large towels. The front desk staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. The printer in the business center was out of ink, so the attendant at the front desk cheerfully checked me in for my flight and printed my boarding pass for me. (There is an airline arrival and departure display screen in the hotel lobby) I did eat dinner in the hotel's restaurant, which was very good (fettucine portofino and a crisp fresh salad), but expensive, as food in most hotel restaurants is. The shuttle was ready and waiting at 5:15 the next morning for the 5 minute ride over to the airport. Traveling as a single woman, I felt very safe and secure at this hotel, and I would highly recommend it, as well as stay here again.

Danby, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My elderly parents and I drove to Ottawa for a family funeral. We spent two nights here, in two rooms, same upper floor but opposite sides of the building (I did not request adjoining rooms, just same floor). Our experiences were terrific, and we would definitely consider returning to this particular hotel. The staff at check-in were friendly and efficient. Our rooms were large and clean, and the sound-proofing was sufficient so exterior noise from the highway and airport was very light and only occasional even then. I appreciated the extra "sweeper" baffle at the bottom of the door to the hallway to help muffle sound and light from that location, too. The breakfast specials in the dining area off the main lobby were terrific; filling, tasty, and cooked to order. We ate our first evening meal here, too; it also was well prepared and tasty. The wait staff were consistently friendly and courteous. Our feeling was that staff seemed to get along with each other, which can make such a positive difference in how they present themselves to the public. Check-out front desk staff were also accommodating when I asked to have tabs for both rooms put on one check-out bill. I have traveled a great deal both for business and pleasure, and I most recently have been working as a tour manager for a travel company, so I see a lot of the good and bad. This particular hotel is definitely on the better end of the spectrum! (It's also easy to drive into downtown Ottawa via the highway.)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I usually stay at a Hilton or Sheraton brand, as I travel on business quite a lot. Having business in Ottawa and booking later than usual, I found the Hilton Garden Inn near the Ottawa Airport.

The front-desk staff were friendly and helpful. Check-in was efficient, the room and sleeping accommodations quite good and the breakfast very good. It's not just a normal breakfast buffet; you have your choice to have your food is cooked to order. It was a little way out of the downtown Ottawa area for business.

The real down-side of the stay was on return to the room after the day away, housekeeping was still making up rooms. My room was not made up and it was 4:30pm. When it suggested that they could make it up during dinner, she said she was leaving at 5pm and couldn't do it - so it wasn't. I did manage to get fresh towels. It made me think they didn't have enough staff to handle the size of this hotel.

Given this last item, I'd rank the hotel as just average on this trip. Hope they improve.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport? Share your experiences!