“Quality Food and Service with a Smile” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Quality Food and Service with a Smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

On Saturday, January 14, I treated some friends to a supper. We all love Italian food, but through circumstances had not been able to visit the Preston Street Strip for too many years. Because Ciccio was the first name to come to mind, we chose to go there. And although we were late arriving, we were met graciously and warmly (important because it was -28 with the wind chill) by the fellow who turned out to be our waiter. I was impressed right away with his service and his advice. Two of my friends were about to over-order on an appetizer and his advice was that the one plate of smelts would be more than enough - saving both their appetites and their wallets. Each of us ordered a different entrée covering salmon, chicken and veal and all turned out to be excellent choices. The bill was $151 (including taxes) for wine, appetizer, four main dishes, espressos and dessert for two of us. Our waiter (I believe it was Marino) ensured wine glasses were topped up and checked an appropriate number of times to ensure we were enjoying the food. It's taken a long time for me to re-visit Ciccio. My next visit won't. I'll be returning very , very soon.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ottawa, Canada
“Crazy server but the food was good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We enjoyed our food however, the server was way to comfortable with us. She kept touching one of the men at our table and gave him a nic name ( If it was a male server and a woman being hugged and touched throughout the meal what would people think?). At the end of the meal she had insisted he finish a slice of orange and put it on a spoon and told him she was not going to put it down until he got his vitamin C!! Once all was said and done it came to our attention that the wine served was not the same as the one we ordered and more costly. It was an honest mistake on our part as it was a red, it was italian, and it was the same type of wine we ordered. We were trying this wine for the first time so we had no reference as to what the bottle should look like. After the bill came and we saw the 20 dollar difference, the manager blamed the waitress for ordering the wrong one, the waitress blamed the manager for giving her the wrong one, and somehow we still ended up paying more for it! Never again will I eat this place.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Worst Service Experience ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Myself and three friends ate at Ciccios last night and it was a terrible experience. The food was good by in my opinion the veal meals were fairly small for the price. I had a pasta dish which was very good but the service ruined the quality of the meal for me. Here's the scoop...

Very dated restaurant... with so many nice places on Preston street they really need to update the furniture...

Our waitress "Sue" was a friendly lady - just a little too friendly. I am an outgoing person and love to joke around but several times throughout our meal she was putting her arm around me, calling us names, being bossy and pushy... One could argue it was all in fun and I played it that way but when out with friends and paying good money for service I don't expect to be treated this way - VERY unprofessional!
After many inapproriate jokes, touching and hugging me while ordering is was all topped off with the dessert order... I ordered the Creme caramel and Sue insisted I get something else cause it was better! If I wanted something else I would have ordered that!!! But, to not cause a scene I went along (I didnt really care to be honest what dessert I had but a server should take what I order!). Once complete our dessert she I had left the slice of orange on the side of the plate and she insisted that I eat it, to the point she put it on a spoon and forced it into my mouth...right there at the table with 3 other guests at the table... I was very offended but laughed it off to not cause a scene.

Once the bills came our friends were charged the incorrect bottle of wine...charged for the one they served which was NOT the one we ordered. When the owner/manager came over they didnt know what to do....he pointed to the one we had which wasnt even on the same page as the one we pointed to on the menu. They had this "well you should have known" attitude... whatever. The manager indicated it was "Sue's fault" but would only lower the price by 1/2 the difference...unbelieveable. We were all in a hurry and in the interest again of not causing a scene our friends paid the difference.

Message to anyone reading this - There are alot of great italian restaurants on Preston with equal and better food. I have never had such unprofessional service and will NEVER eat at Ciccios again!!!!

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Waterloo, Canada
“A gathering to remember”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

My mother passed away and she wished for a gathering of friends and family at one of her favorite restaurants. When I called Ciccio Cafe, I spoke with the owner, Marino. Although the restaurant was normally closed on Saturday afternoon, Marino understood the significance of my mother's last wishes and agreed to host our family gathering.

Care taken to accommodate our guests and the staff of Ciccio's were warm and helpful. The service was very good.

It was a warm, sunny afternoon and everyone enjoyed the patio, and the people watching, right there in "Little Italy".

I'll always be grateful to Marino and will return again and again for the fine food, warm atmosphere and great location.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kapolei, Hawaii
“Absolutely Delicious Italian With Fabulous Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I am still raving about this restaurant!! Located right in the heart of Little Italy in Ottawa with a very nice outdoor (covered) patio for the summer months .....however we did decide to eat indoors - and it was fabulous! Our waiter, who I believe was also the owner, was kind, helpful and proud of the food and the restaurant. I would go back any time - and would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves Itialian!!!!

• Visited July 2011