“Good selection of authentic dishes” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Salvadoran
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Takeout
Ottawa, Canada
“Good selection of authentic dishes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I apologize that the spelling is very bad, I made notes but ...

We tried the mixed appetizer sample plate (el gunaco) and thought the plantains to be excellent, we liked the salpicon and loved the beef taco

We thought the Hortchata frescos good but not great, the Chan fresco and the Tsmarindo fresco were nice but the Maranon fresco (cashew Apple) was very good.

All of our other mains were very good.

The restaurant décor is very basic but the service was fantastic and the owner (and family) took great pride and was happy not just to answer questions but to explain and even offered us some samples.

I would recommend a visit if you want authentic dishes served with TLC!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ottawa, Canada
“Chicharron Con Yuca and Salpicon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I went to the restaurant that we discovered in our neighborhood and were pleasantly surprised. The service is slow as you are on Latin American time, but the food is very tasty. My wife tried the salpicon which is low in fat and tasty whereas I tried the Chicharron with Yuca that was a fried, and greasy delight - not for those who don't want the grease. My wife had the horchat which is a barley or rice and cinnamon drink - very good and I had cashew apple juice which was also very good. The price was exceptional and the owners friendly so I would definitely recommend this place again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Very friendly, cashew apple juice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

La Cabana is located in a small plaza south of the 417. It shares a door with a sister store which features all kinds of latin goods. I didn't explore much of suburban Ottawa, but I would bet that it is the only place to find specialized goods from Latin America.

Wife and I shared the sample platter (pupusa, tamal, plantain, beans and cheese) and an extra pupusa. I was a fan of all the items on the plate and was surprised to see that the plantain wasn't cut up, but fried whole. We preferred the mixed pupusa over the cheese.

For our main, we shared the steak and shrimp. Both were great with excellent flavour. The rice was good, but we were too full to finish the salad. A word to the wise, El Salvadorian tortillas are much thicker than the typical Mexican ones.

Both dishes were priced quite reasonable, but the real home run was the atmosphere and service. The decor was old, there was a tv in the background and it was attached to a store. But, the people who run the place were super friendly, they let us try the juices to see which ones we liked (Chan and Cashew Apple!) and they made us feel welcome. Most of the other patrons spoke Spanish, and it felt like we were in someone's home. This is my favourite type of restaurant. Next time we are in town, we will definitely visit.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa ON Canada
“Barely Edible, Disgusting Slop”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Yesterday was my son's birthday and he asked for pupusas for dinner.

We ordered pupusas de queso (cheese) to take out and were absolutely horrified with the inedible garbage they pass off as food. The pupusas were a congealed mass of disgustingly greasy slop barely recognizable as pupusas (and I've eaten a lot of good pupusas in Canada, USA & El Salvador), the cheese they use was far too salty and the courido (coleslaw like condiment) was greyish brown and tasteless.

I guess we're just going to have to keep on driving to Montreal when the craving for Salvadoran food hits.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Mucho Perfecto!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Brought my daughter in for supper. We try something new about every two weeks.
We started off with the fried plantain served with refried beans and sour cream. It was delicioso.
Then a pitcher of juice called cashew apple. Very tasty.
For my main I had the taster platter with a selection of the paposa plantain spicy coleslaw and a cornmeal concoction. It was very delicious and my daughter picked from my plate as I picked from her fried beef plate.
The cost was a little more than $40 and it was very tasty with lots of, "what's that?" going around. All the other diners ordered in Spanish and the big screen TV played Mexican soap operas/comedies.
The décor left something to be desired but the good food made up for it.
Service was prompt and friendly with the owner serving.
A quick trip to the attached Latino grocery store was in order with many pleasant surprises awaiting.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere