“A nice little neighbourhood find” 4 of 5 stars
Review of the urban pear

the urban pear
second avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (The Glebe / Dow's Lake)
613-569-9305
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Glebe / Dow's Lake
Ottawa, Canada
“A nice little neighbourhood find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had a very nice meal at this restaurant. It took me a while to venture there-the appearance looks somewhat uninviting (facing onto a parking lot) but I have heard lots of favourable reviews on the food. Our choices included scallops, duck and risotto. Scallops and the risotto were very good. The duck was somewhat tough, although flavourful. The ambience is surprisingly nice inside, but it could benefit from adding blinds or shutters to block the car lights from the lot.

Visited October 2012

“Great brunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went to Urban Pear for brunch with a couple of friends. Lots of good things to say about the place! The home made bread and caramelized onions butter was great. Menu had tons of great items and I'd definitely go again to try different things. Had the poached eggs served with hollandaise on striploin - really really good!

Only thing keeping this from being a 5 star review is price (a bit pricy, 22$ for a brunch plate is a bit much), as well as service. Both waiters that helped us looked like this was the last place they wanted to be. Unfortunate because the food was great!

• Visited November 2012
“Remarkable Culinary Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We went for our wedding anniversary. It was a Wednesday evening. The place was relatively quiet. So we had very attentive service. Not that we know if during the weekend, it is less so. But as a rule, when a restaurant is full, staff are in hurry. We had chosen this place for its good reputation. Having been around for a number of years, the Urban Pear has deservedly acquired a good reputation for its imaginative cuisine. We were enjoyably surprised. The food was definitely beyond our expectations. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable. A culinary experience that is well worth the visit.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Always pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have been to this restaurant about 10 times over the last two-three years and each time they manage to impress me. The menu has very few items on it, maybe 6 starter choices and 6 main menu choices, but it changes frequently. Most importantly, it combines flavors like no other restaurant in Ottawa. Its only shortcoming is the dessert menu - very basic. But I always order a starter and a main, knowing that I will love both and be too full for dessert. If you still want dessert, you can always take a short walk to Von's Bistro and have their chocolate pecan pie!

• Visited September 2012
Ottawa Ont.
“Great Food Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have visited the Urban Pear on many occasions and the service, the presentation and most importantly the food at the Urban Pear is exceptional. This is one of the top dining spots in Canada. You know I was looking on Trip Advisor for somewhere different to dine this evening but I just decided - I'm heading to The Pear. I'm worth it!

• Visited August 2012