“A great dining experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 2,223 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: O'Connor
Description: Perfectly grilled Canadian Prime steaks, cold martinis and warm hospitality. A relaxed, refined atmosphere. You deserve to visit Canada's Premier Steakhouse. We are Hy's, and proud of it, since 1955.
Ottawa, Canada
“A great dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Hy's is wonderful. Excellent food. Excellent service. Excellent décor. We went there hoping for an awesome evening, and we got it. Our server was was terrific. Very attentive. Knowledgeable. Down-to-earth, yet with those touches of dignity and thoughtfulness that you expect from the finest of restaurants. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Delicious but a bit expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

This is an amazing place for a fancy super. The way they cook there steak is very good, fancy, and creative. The food is a little expensive however very good. I would certainly recommend this place.

Visited June 2013
“love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I visit at least once a year. Usually to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. We actually took our son with us the last time we visited, now that he is 15 he can appreciate what fine dining has to offer. I am often surprised that other "families" choose to bring their children so young. In my view until you hit a certain age you cannot appreciate or give the right attitude required to dine in higher end restaurants and wish others would hold the same values. Often you see toddlers or barely 8 year olds at places causing a stir and ruining for people out to escape the children or just trying to enjoy a romantic adult ambiance.
That said aside our son's first fine dining experience with us was like all our previous experiences-AMAZING. Our son has a great palate and love of food-his mom is a chef after all :) and thought the lamb was superior. As per usual my steak was amazing and tender as you expect the filet to be but again as usual cooked to perfection! My boyfriend really enjoyed the porterhouse and the service is ALWAYS amazing. We will be back again for my birthday shortly !!!

• Visited November 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“good food, service, a bit expensive for what you get”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

A few friends and I went to Hy's in December 2013. We went there on a Friday night with reservations. When we arrived, we were greeted and someone hung our coats for us in the closet. We waited for a while in the bar until our table was ready. The service was good but nothing outstanding. The food selection was great. I ordered a filet mignon with aside of double baked potatoes (a baked potato that had its inside mashed, then re inserted into the potato and baked again.) I also ordered an extra side of mac and cheese. There was a waiter who came by with a tray of sour cream, butter, bacon, etc as toppings for the potato. My steak was done right, and it was very delicious. If you order salads, the salad is prepared right in front of you. The ambiance was very nice and elegant. However, to me, the taste of the food was only a bit better than the Keg (however, the prices were a lot higher.) The restaurant would be nice for an occasional treat but I don't think the high prices are that worth it for the food. (I would pay the extra price just for the nice ambiance.) The service was just average and I was not given any outstanding service at all.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful evening !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We rang in the new year at Hy's Ottawa and had a wonderful evening. Food was excellent as usual and staff and atmosphere very very nice.
We look forward to going back in 2014.
Leslie