“Average food, slow service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Cactus Bar & Grill

Blue Cactus Bar & Grill
2 Sq Byward Market | Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7A1, Canada (Byward Market Area)
+1 613-241-7061
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #833 of 2,149 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Contemporary, Continental
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Cross street: Clarence Street
Transit: Transit stops in surrounding area.
Holmdel, New Jersey
“Average food, slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is the first time we are here on Byward market and here in Ottawa since 1983. It's Saturday night, after we walked for 30 mins, we found the price here were reasonable and no waiting. The seating was good, next to a open windows watching the sidewalk. The food portion was large but the taste just slightly above average, we had the beef poutine ,seared tuna sandwich, chicken chimichanga, and burger for my son. Our female wait staff looks like she is having a long day ( it's about 8:45 pm ) and the food came little slow. She only fill our water when we requested and asked how is the food when we almost finish. I guest those black mini skirt (Blue cactus's uniform ) and pointed black shoes are killing her feet. There are plenty of other restaurants in this area and will not return.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ida F, Owner at Blue Cactus Bar & Grill, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Castle 88,
I was sorry to read that the service you received with us was slow and you found the taste of your food average. We strive for excellent service, food quality and atmosphere. Unfortunately, we did not attain our goals during your visit.
I hope you enjoyed your stay in Ottawa, and hope you can visit again soon!
Regards,
Ida

Bonne Bay, Canada
“great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I had lunch at the Blue Cactus early July, 2014. I started with a cocktail... they had monthly specials so I left it up to my server, Eric, to choose one. He made a great choice -- so yummy!! I had the Smoked Tomato Bisque and a Quinoa salad for lunch, both of which were absolutely delicious. Several of the servers came to my table to bring water and bread. All of them were great. Eric was my main server and I couldn't have asked for better service. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and will go back there when I'm in Ottawa again.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear 13Sharon,
Thank you very much for choosing to have lunch at Blue Cactus....and for sharing your remarks on Trip Advisor. I will definitely share your remarks with our team and specifically Eric.
I hope you enjoyed your stay in Ottawa and look forward to seeing you next time you visit.
With Best Regards,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great Service and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

A group of us (22) ventured to this restaurant Monday afternoon to celebrate an event. We were served promptly and with a smile. Every one liked what they ordered and every plate was served warm which can be a challenge for a large group. Kudos to the kitchen folks and the servers.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ida F, Owner at Blue Cactus Bar & Grill, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Eric M,
Thank you very much for allowing us to host your group at Blue Cactus and for sharing your wonderful remarks on Trip Advisor. I will certainly forward your comments to our kitchen and serving staff.
We hope to have you as our guest again soon, perhaps celebrating another event, or just a casual evening out.
Sincere thanks once again....
Regards,
Halifax, Canada
“Great spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We randomly stopped in here on canada day. They were able to accommodate approximately 16 of us. The food was great. They were prompt and very attentive.

Visited July 2014
Dear East Coast 1979,
Thanks very much for choosing to dine with us at Blue Cactus on Canada Day and for sharing your remarks regarding your experience. I was pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your large group on such a busy day and that we reached our goals with regard to the food and service!
I hope you enjoyed our beautiful city over Canada Day, and we hope to have you visit us again soon!
With Best Regards,
Ida
Winnipeg, Canada
“Horrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Food here is mediocre at best, but worse than the food is the service. Wait staff ignored us for so long we thought they forgot we were there. She finally brought over menus, disappeared again for 15 min when she came back with water and took our drink orders. We knew it would be a long wait before she came back so we placed our food orders right away she brought us our drinks and we didn't see her until our food came. There was no checking to see if we needed anything else to drink how our food was, nothing. We were the only table in her section no one else around so can't say it was busy just poor service. Would not return.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Liz t,
I sincerely apologize to you for the poor experience you had while at Blue Cactus. There is no excuse for this. We continually emphasize the importance of excellent service and food quality to all staff.
If you have a few moments, please contact me directly at ida@bluecactusbarandgrill.com so I may apologize to you directly and perhaps gain some information to determine who your server was. I hope to rectify the situation in any manner possible.
Again, my most sincere apologies. I hope to hear from you soon.