“The Best” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ontario
“The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Casual dining, no need to dress which is great when you are travelling. The waiter "Michael" was excellent. The Absinthe salad with lemon thyme dressing was the best ever, wonderful dressing with tender greens. The beet salad was full of so many flavours that complimented one another. It was the best beet salad I have ever experienced. My husband had the salmon which was vey flavourful. I am not much of a meat eater but decided to have something different this time and ordered the steak and fries. It was very good but next time we are in Ottawa I will definitely go for the salmon. This was one of, if not the best, meals we have ever had. A must when in Ottawa.

Visited July 2014

Ottawa, Canada
“Still wonderful - flavour and service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The service here is simply splendid and the food is varied and wonderful.
We enjoyed a salad dressed in a light thyme vinaigrette with toasted pepitas. The duck had a great salty crust but the mini pot pie that accompanied it really had nothing to do with the plate. The asparagus soup met with rave reviews. Unfortunately the hamburger, while tasty, was an architectural feat and ungainly to try to eat. The plate overwhelmed with food. The poutine and salad that came with it, made for an enormous meal.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Amazing Duck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I loved the duck! it is delicious, medium-rare, cooked well :) all dishes on the menu are great, service is great.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Appreciate the change in menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

the restaurant overall was ok - not what expected from a restaurant named as one of Ottawa's top 20. The menu was simple and had some appeal, though very difficult for a vegetarian. I would have expected at least one main to accommodate my needs. I asked for a "specially made salad" and fries and the kitchen did accommodate me, making a "blended" version of some of their other salads. Good wine list and excellent service.

It seems like a safe place to go, "a good bet" but did not make me pledge to come back. I applaud them however for their commitment to local and sustainable. For that reason I'll try them again if they make a few menu changes.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, Canada
“So worth the trip away from the Market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We had a wonderful meal at Absinthe. I would not have known of this place, if not for my friend who had been here on a previous trip. As we usually stay downtown when visiting Ottawa, the Byward Market is the default dining options. I was so glad we broke out of that mould!

The food was fantastic, and it was served in a highly professional manner. The staff made sure we knew about the uniqueness of the dishes, and were highly attentive that everything was perfect. A specific shout-out to Patrick and Mindy for their hard work!

This will be our new "go-to" restaurant in the future!

• Visited April 2014