“Would definitely recommend to tourists” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Earl of Sussex

The Earl of Sussex
431 Sussex Dr, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (Byward Market Area)
613-562-5544
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 73 Nightlife in Ottawa
Type: Jazz Bars, Bars
More attraction details
Owner description: A great place to defrost the winter chills or cool off any summer evening. We draw patrons of all ages, from twenty-something's to seasoned regulars, minus the boisterous happy-hour set. Authentic Irish pub for a pint and an awesome burger. Earl of Sussex also serves pub classics like fish and chips, pizza, wings and Shepherd's pie.Save room for dessert too!
Hull, Canada
“Would definitely recommend to tourists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We recently came in for dinner and drinks and left with a good experience. The service was a little slow for our liking, but still got the job done. Shout out to the hostess who did a wonderful job putting us first when we needed something. All in all, good experience, great beer, okay food and wonderful location.

Visited July 2014

Ottawa, Canada
“Extremely Disappointing Experience- Ambience with Overtones of Complaints about Manager”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Food was presented politely; however it was still frozen in center; staff appeared a bit uneasy (and complaintive remarks about manager could be heard). Overall experience was poor as ambience is important.

Visited April 2014
“Culinary education recommended to be the cook. Be glad chef Ramsey is not there.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I ordered steak and fries for me, medium. It came out rare and bloody. Ordered fish and chips for my wife, the fish seem frozen fried and breading is doughy raw inside. Service is good. Chef needs some education.

Visited May 2014
Toronto
15 attraction reviews
“Nice patio and reallygood pub fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We needed a rest stop mid afternoon on the way to the Mint. Earl of Sussex was right across the street with a very inviting patio. We had some draught and shared a plate of delicious (lemon pepper dusted) hot wings. We like it so much we went back for dinner after visiting the Mint. The food selection here is very good, a step above usual pub food, the patio was relaxing and quiet and our server (who had lived in Toronto for a few years) was very attentive and accommodating-even brought my grandson a bandaid to cover his blister.

Visited July 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Worst experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went as a party of 8, from the beginning the waitress was not friendly. After waiting a lengthy time for pub food, I received my chicken wrap. I took one bite and was not happy. It tasted like fish. After 15 min of the server not being in sight , I finally was able to flag her down to tell her. She said thats what it's suppose to taste like. I told her to please take it away from me. She never asked me if I wanted anything else. When receiving the bill ( ordered nachos and beer too) the wrap appeared on it. I told her this must be a mistake and she said that I will be paying for it as there was nothing wrong with it. I asked for the manager. The server kept arguing with me stating the manager will not be removing it from the bill. When the manager came over (10 min later) He asked me how many bites I took ( which was very unprofessional to even ask that question ) after I said one bite he said okay we will take it off the bill. When tiping I gave her 10% tip ( shes lucky to even of gotten one), as she did an awful job. When getting up to leave the manager (in front of the whole restaurant ) started yelling at me and telling me how I gave the server a horrible tip and that now she has to pay for it. The manager then told me I was never welcomed back ( which is fine cause I never was going back ). I have never experienced such an awful experience in my life. I will be spreading the word to everyone I know and to NEVER go to this awful, tacky restaurant!

Visited May 2013