“Intimate pleasure” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Intimate pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Lovely spot,, fantastic food. The owner/host is very entertaining and always looking to please. I have been here several times and have been served new and exciting food each time. LOVE IT

Visited September 2012

Ottawa, Canada
“Great food but something ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Food is good, service is pleasant and kind (come on they have sunscreen available for patio goers!) the food was good but showed what seem to be a lack of experience or attention to detail in the kitchen. Star was the appetizer with scallops but fois GRAS a bit disappointing. Special was tilapia with roasted pepper purée was delicious but plate was unadorned kind of slopped on a la hospital kitchen style.... All in all evening pleasant but kitchen needs to step up the style quotient. And the chairs are awful, creaky and felt unstable.

Visited June 2012
“Impressive food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

I bought a müv Weekend eCertificate Bistro and used that on a super hot day in May 2012. We were served with the four-course meal as stated on the coupon. Since it was a very hot day, I was very happy we were served with a cold soup with cucumber with a pinch of mint, which was very refreshing. The cheese selection was very interesting, as I don't know much about cheese, I can't comment too much on that, but it was an eyes opener for me. For the main dishes, we had grilled salmon on salad and steak respectively, and they were perfect. The desserts were only average, but we were very satisfied already. Canvas is more causal but the service was great. Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is not my first visit to this restaurant. We returned with another couple for Sunday Brunch. It has to be pointed out that Canvas does not have a Sunday Brunch menu, the hours of operation do not correspond to Brunch hours either, the concept of Brunch is to offer a very late breakfast usually after 11am which straddles the lunch hour until 3 pm. A brunch menu is usually composed of items mixing breakfast and lunch. Canvas offers none of that, it's basically eggs, toast, sausage, watered down coffee. Not very inspiring as a breakfast menu goes and it is not a brunch menu either. Either the chef and the owner of Canvas do not understand what brunch is or they are too lazy to care. I also noted on this visit again that the decor is dirty, total unkempt look, from the sickly plant above the bar to the banged-up tables and rotting floor.
When the bill came I thought too expensive for breakfast, not very good overall, I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London Ontario
“Great Little Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

One of the elements that drives up my opinion of Canvas is it's unassuming nature. Had I not read about it, I would have walked by the location and never thought a great restaurant was inside.

However, inside, they've done great with the space. The 2 servers I have had have both been great and the food also has been very good. I believe it's very reasonably priced and worth the visit.

My last dinner was a tradition Steak frites, and it was cooked perfectly. My lemongrass ginger and potato soup appetizer was also fantastic. There may be more extravagant restaurants in the city, but Canvas does very well for the niche it serves.

Will definitely be back.