“Great BB, friendly owner, service dog welcome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gilmour Inn

The Gilmour Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ottawa
The Gilmour Inn
You added The Gilmour Inn to your Saves list
431 Gilmour Street, Ottawa, Ontario K2P 0R5, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 59 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Dartmouth, Canada
“Great BB, friendly owner, service dog welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed a week. The owner is very friendly and wants to help in every way! Very accommodating of service dog even though the inn is not set up for persons with visual disabilities(narrow stairs, lots of lovely decour- I wish I could have seen the christmas tree better!), the owner still made things as easy as possible for me, and my fully sighted partner. It's a beautiful old building.

For having rooms close together it is remarkably quiet at night but do expect to hear some minor night sounds.

We stayed in Darcy room which had a gorgeous bath with seat and a heavenly Jacuzzi.
The only complaint is it took a long while for the hot water to kick in in the shower; but if you let it run a few minutes before stepping in you had a lovely shower.
The laundry room is right next to this room so if you have a long stay in mind that's a convenient thing.

Breakfast was enjoyed by my significant other every day and was quality.

Great location downtown close to everything like pubs, restaurants, stores, all the historic federal government buildings.

It's a lovely B and B run by a great couple- just don't book expecting a modern, cookie cutter hotel room. This is staying in an antique building with antique charm. And you'd search high and low for a hotel with a proprietor willing to do so much to make you happy!

Room Tip: Darcy room is near the stairs and on the front so has some street noise, there are thick drapes but...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner and I recently returned from a little get-away to Ottawa, and we stayed at the Gilmour Inn for two nights. We had a great experience, and we particularly enjoyed the decor and ambiance of the Inn - it really felt like "coming home" after a long day. We had a room on the 3rd floor, and although it was a little warm in the room the first night (there is a ceiling fan), it was very comfy and quiet. Richard cooked a great hot breakfast each morning, and there was cereal, fruit salad, yogurt, muffins, etc., that you could help yourself to. The location of the Inn is very central, and just around the corner from the Village on Bank Street. We had our car, and there was plenty of parking behind the Inn. Overall, we were extremely pleased with our stay, and we'd definitely come back when we're in Ottawa next!! Thanks Richard.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I just got back from my first trip to Ottawa. We stayed for 4 days at The Gilmour Inn. The Inn is conveniently located near everything. It is minutes to the beautiful Ottawa River & Rideau Canal. It is also walking distance to the Byward Market and parliament buildings. The Inn was cozy and our room was AWESOME! It was spacious and included a mini fridge and fantastic jacuzzi bathtub. Richard provided us with all of the comforts of home and then some. There was access to laundry and ironing at anytime. The Inn had ample parking and easy access. Richard's breakfast was delicious with beautiful presentation. I am especially pleased with this visit because Richard was so accommodating about our particular needs. I am traveling with a severe airborne peanut allergy and it was no problem for Richard to pay close attention to the foods he was preparing us. In addition, my partner and I are both Kayakers. Richard went out of his way to find the best Kayaking spots in Ottawa. I would highly recommend The Gilmour Inn to anyone!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was somewhat disappointed. I did not warm to the decor which seemed "period" to the point of not comfortable, convenient or particularly attractive. The room was very small, the carpet not that clean and public areas contained weird stairs and steps that seemed somewhat hazardous. The breakfast was good and it's in a good and very convenient area. So all and all, average.

Room Tip: Try to get a bigger room. Watch your step.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have been a loyal customer of Richard's for many years. The transition from inn on Somerset to The Gilmour Inn has been seemless (to customers anyways). The quality of the craftmanship and decorations is as implicable as expected. I am more modern in my design; however, the Inn is decorated very tastefully and with the service it feels like you are visiting family.

Breakfast is always delicious and coffee is always hot. I personally pray for the "baked eggs" each morning. Very delicious.

I personally, like Room 4; however, all the rooms are exceptional and very well decorated. All the bathrooms are modern and updated. The hot water on demand and plenty of it.

There is no cable for the TVs in the room; however, it is coming but Richards has a selection of movies/tv shows you can pick from if you need some down time. I see other posting about the telephones not in the room, but this is not a concern for me, we all have cell phones. If you really need a landline, speak with Richard.

I love Richard's sign outside; "Enter as a stranger, leave as friend". The sign truly should say: "Enter as a stranger, leave as family".

You will enjoy your stay. If you never stayed in a B&B before, this is a good place to start. If you have, then is a good place to remind is why we select a B&B instead of; cold and over priced hotels.

This B&B is a good place to call home, if you are working in Ottawa for long term contracts.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights this year in January, several of the coldest days of the year. The Inn is beautifully furnished (traditionally), comfortable, and the owner Richard is very welcoming, accommodating, and generous. His breakfasts are great! Because it was one of the coldest weekdays of the year when I arrived, I happened to be the only guest there and was treated to a free upgrade to the best room in the place (a spectacularly furnished room with a full bath (including a jacuzzi bath) - it was truly very comfortable and I slept like a baby.

Richard has been at his new location for a relatively short period and has undertaken a massive campaign of improvement and restoration. ...as such there are a few things not completed (wiring for T.V.'s, and outgoing calls from rooms only). ...for this reason some might not give it 5 stars, but I do. (I don't watch T.V. and my cell's always with me)

As far as location it's very convenient to the small gay village and the trendy parts of Bank Street (if you're not a gay/friendly traveller, the village is so small, odds are you might be oblivious to it). It's about a $10 ride by cab to the Market Area and the National Gallery (or a 25 minute walk I'm told). The walk might be very pleasant any time of year, but I elected for the cab this time.

I can't recommend The Gilmour Inn enough. It's really great and Richard's hospitality is generous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Now on Gilmour Street, previously on Somerset, the Gilmour Inn is a very tastefully refurbished house with excellent amenities. The ambiance is excellent with period decor, fixtures and fittings all done with consistently good taste. The room was warm and comfortable with en suite facilities. Traditional breakfast was prompt and freshly prepared. I highly recommend the Gilmour Inn for your stay in Ottawa.
Stayed October 2012

Room Tip: There's a room to suit everyone, including families
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Gilmour Inn? Share your experiences!