“Already a repeat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 2,149 Restaurants in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Ottawa, Canada
“Already a repeat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Been twice, once with friends and once as an adult family. Very good service. Restricted menu, but fine dining. Great atmosphere. Best tables are the one right by the door and several on the half floor that is 20 stairs up at the rear. Had two starters the first time - scallops and pork belly - and duck the second. Good wine selection. Pricing is fair for the quality.

Visited May 2013
stevebeckta, Owner at Gezellig, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi John: Thank you for coming to see us twice so far at gezellig. I'm delighted t read that you've enjoyed both of your visits with us so much, and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with TA. I hope I get to welcome you back personally on your next visit.

With Many Thanks,
Steve

“Great food and ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant is just down the street from me and I have been meaning to try it for a while. There were three of us and we all enjoyed our meals. Although the menu is not huge, there is something there for everyone. I found the sevice to be excellent, the server was able to recommend a wine and provided info on the meals. We tried the fish, the rabbit and seafood curry, all were excellent. The butter fingers for desert and to die for. The decor is nice and relaxing. We will be back for sure.

• Visited May 2013
Ottawa
“Exceptional evening of excellent food and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of our first evening out at Gezellig. Long-time patrons (although infrequent) of Beckta, we were curious to see the "downscale" Gezellig (I use the term quite facetiously!)

Gezellig is a lovely restaurant--nicely appointed, but lower key than Beckta--no linens, for example, but very contemporary and welcoming. The staff are exceptional--all are friendly and approachable and make you feel very welcome in the restaurant. Our server (Sarah) was exceptional--excellent knowledge of the menu and the accompanying wines. Her timing, coupled with the kitchen, was spot-on. Food came at appropriate times, with no long time lags, and Sarah got to the table at exactly the right time after the food was presented--probably 3-5 bites in!

The pork bellies were fantastic (Beckta--take note--there are way better than the pork bellies you had on the menu last year!). The seared scallops...heavenly.

Main courses were the strip loins, duck leg and risotto. Duck leg was spectacular. Minor problem with one of the steaks--it was a bit small (compared with the other one) and probably shouldn't have been served. We didn't send it back since it still tasted very good (and upsets the overall timing), and the server adjusted our bill to compensate.

Rather than order wine by the bottle, we accepted the pairing recommendations, and what an excellent way to try different wines, and well-paired (naturally).

Excellent value. $300 for 4 of us (tip, tax in). Cheaper night out than Beckta (although I think we saved money by doing the pairings rather than full bottles), but easily as memorable and satisfying. Perhaps more so since the price was less, and the food portions were more substantial (always a pet peeve of mine re Beckta).

Well done, Steve Beckta. Another home run!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere, great food, great wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I went for dinner and had a great time. Greeted at the door, seated promptly, and all with a smile. The decor is modern and very inviting and upscale and warm. It's very pleasant and the chairs are surprisingly comfortable. We had an appetizer (pork bellies, which were incredible) and a main (risotto). The risotto was good, but I found it a a bit heavy - but it tasted amazing. The wine was excellent with some unusual and tasty choices. We will be back again. Good job Steve Becka. You surpassed by expectations.

Ottawa, Canada
“Great service, interesting food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

As soon as you walk into Gezellig, you are greeted by the top-notch signature service from Stephen Beckta's group of restaurant, that is tentative, warm, and welcoming. I have been to Beckta and Play many times, the service is no difference. I advised them about my food allergy when I made the reservation, and I am very surprised that my server prepared herself on all the food ingredients and provided me alternative and some good recommendation. Absolutely great.

I had the steak tartar for appetizer, strip lion for my entree, and pot of cream for desert plus a glass of awesome Tawny 20 yrs. I am not a big fan of steak tartar, I am glad that I gave it a try. It was really well seasoned, it was tasty but not over powering, lots of flavor. The strip lion was really good with good flavor and not overly salty, which is opposite to the sautee vegetables that came with steak. The vegetables were really salty but it is pure personal preference. The Tawny was awesome, and it went really well with the pot of cream (like a creme brulee without the burnt part and it is a cheesecake without the crust).

My friend had the scallop for appetizer, fish for entree, and the butter finger for desert. And all of them were really good.

The price is very reasonable, and you will get your money worth. Our bill come up to about $50 per person before tax and tips.

• 4 of 5 stars Food