“Great Little Place” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #155 of 2,149 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Classic French Brasserie food within a Canadian context
“Great Little Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Went here on a whim, no reservation, on a recent Wednesday night. It is a small place and even though we were there early, it was quite full already. We were fortunate to be seated at the "Chef's Table".
The menu is eclectic, from moules frites and confit des canard to burger and fries and pizza. Being seated at the Chefs Table we were able to watch the preparation of all of them and they all looked very good.The Chef was one of the owners and was very busy, but meticulous.
Our meals were just terrific and the prep was explained to us by the Chef. We had the petoncles (scallops) and they were perfectly cooked and excellently presented and, the special of the day was stuffed saddle of rabbit, also excellent. A small, but well selected wine list is offered as well.
It was a real treat to be seated where we were, you could really get a feel of the goings on in a busy kitchen. I did notice that the plates the servers were bringing back to the kitchen were all empty...a very good sign of the quality of the food indeed, the patrons ate it all LOL.
We will return but, we will make reservations to make sure we get a seat.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sandra M, Owner at St. Martha's Brasserie, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us! I look forward to hosting you again!
Kind regards,

Ottawa
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My husband and I went a couple of weeks ago on a rare kid-free Friday night; when we arrived, we were politely asked if we had a reservation. We did not, so the gentleman offered to seat us at the bar. My initial reaction was to say no thank you and go somewhere else, but my husband suggested we try the bar. What a great pleasure to have been served by Dan at the bar. He recommended some wonderful wine to go with our meal, and was extremely attentive. The meal was incredible; my husband ordered the duck (I was hesitant, because all the duck I have ever tasted has been very salty), and he gave me a bite -- it was wonderful, not salty at all. I had the pasta with scallops, and it was done to perfection. We shared the apple crumble for dessert and it was perfect for 2. We have recommended this restaurant to family and friends, and we can't wait to get rid of the kids for another beautiful evening out at St. Martha's!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sandra M, Owner at St. Martha's Brasserie, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hi there and thank you so much for your review. I will make a point of thanking Dan on your behalf and ours as he has truly lived up to our mission: Good food. Served well. Our little place is our personal passion and we endeavour to provide all of our comments with this experience. I am very glad we met your expectations and thank you for sharing your appreciation.

“Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We decided to celebrate our 25th Anniversary here on a recommendation from a coworker and we were pleasantly surprised. Typically one should book a reservation, however we were able to get a table. Staff were very polite, prompt and knowledgeable. Atmosphere had muted lighting and soft music, accompanied by excellent wine and excellent food. We will be back for more and will tell our friends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sandra M, Owner at St. Martha's Brasserie, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am very glad you enjoyed your anniversary dinner and look forward to welcoming me you back.
Ottawa, Canada
“high hopes slightly dashed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were excited to have a real restaurant within walking distance of our house, not a pub and not a chain family restaurant. So we decided to try St Martha's, so both of us could enjoy some wine and not have to worry about who would drive home. We called earlier in the day and were told the only seats available were tall bar tables. So we agreed, only to be rather surprised later on that there were at least 4 empty tables in the dining room when we went and never filled up before we were finished. Also, when we arrived there were screaming babies and children...again, not what we expected at a "fine dining" restaurant and not what we wanted for a Saturday night. This is exactly what we were trying to avoid with typical Orleans restaurants. My husband wanted to leave almost immediately after sitting down, but knowing there were no other options in the neighbourhood we stayed. The lighting was extremely bright- I would suggest they put the lights on a dimmer for evenings. It really wasn't a good atmosphere. Since we sat in the bar area the bartender was attentive and helpful. The wine was good and a decent price. My main course (scallops) was very tasty, but my husband found his (duck breast) to be quite fatty, lacking flavour, and the risotto was cold. Desserts were also a disappointment. The wait staff raved about the ice cream sandwich, so I tried it and it was nothing more than a replica of a Starbucks ginger cookie with vanilla ice cream. I could have made the same at home with almost no effort. My husband had the chocolate pave, which was so salty I could not have more than a tiny bite. It was really awful. Unfortunately, we probably won't go back, mostly because of the atmosphere. I should have known as soon as I saw they included a children's menu. It really isn't fine dining, so we will have to continue to take the car and head to other parts of Ottawa for a nice adult meal.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hello and thank you for trying our brasserie. I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations.
Ottawa
“Mario Ramsay would be appalled!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had visited the Brasserie before and were impressed enough to book for our anniversary dinner. On a scale of one to ten the best I can give would be a five. My tomatoe basil soup was delicious but things went downhill from there. My wife's scallop entree was supposed to be served with rice as a substitute for the offered couscous. The plate came with a scoop of cold rice mixed with arugula, also cold. My plate was entirely the wrong meal. Instead of supreme of chicken I was given a chef salad with chicken slices. The server immediately recognized the error and took steps to correct it. Unfortunately those steps took so long my wife had completed her entire meal before I was served. When my plate arrived I was surprised to find that what was described on the menu was not what was on my plate. When deciding on my meal I was torn between the pork tenderloin and the chicken. The tipping point was that the chicken was accompanied by potato Rossi, while the pork came with fingerling potatoes. Imagine my disappointment when my chicken came with fingerlings rather than the rosti. All that aside, the food was delicious and the service was good. Very busy for a Wednesday night. Will we try it again? Maybe.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sandra M, Owner at St. Martha's Brasserie, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hi there

First of all thank you for providing us with your honest feedback, we take our client reviews seriously and use the as a means of improving our overall service and standards. I would like to discuss this with you further. If you call the brasserie one of my team will be able to provide you with my contact information.