“Great food, great people” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #159 of 2,149 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Classic French Brasserie food within a Canadian context
“Great food, great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot and am so sick of eating at chain restaurants, hotel restaurants and sports bar! What a great find! The place was packed, nice and cosy atmosphere, place was busy and the staff was still very attentive and quick! Sat at the bar and had a cold beer until table was ready, enjoyed the small French Bistro decoration...nice place and cozy. I got the table overlooking the open kitchen. It was great to watch the Chefs whip up my Pickerel on wild rice. A simple dish, well prepared with nice balance, tender and moist fish, nice light sauce balanced with acidity and lavender! I saw them prepare French Fries oer order, meaning they cut the fresh potato, fry it, and 3 1/2 minutes later you can eat it! ...who does that?! Try the french style fries, they are great! You can't get that at a chain or sports bar! Was recommended by my waiter a very nice Chenin Blanc with my meal! Was perfect recommendation! Then indulged in the chocolate/coconut milk and pistachio Pave....a long name for a great dessert, out of the ordinary from the traditional crappy desserts you find elsewhere. You get the feeling that here, food is cooked fresh, and they are having fun creating. It's simply and well prepared. I will for sure come back on my Ottawa trips! I wish there was one down the road from me...
All in all a great experience, good home some Brasserie menu and friendly efficient staff. I would recommend this place!
Thanks St-Martha's Brasserie! See you again soon!

Visited August 2013
Sandra M, Owner at St. Martha's Brasserie, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! This is exactly what we hope to create for every single client! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip!

Ottawa, Canada
“Orleans was so overdue for a restaurant like this!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was our third-time lucky getting a table on a Saturday night and it was worth it. The food is beautifully prepared, tasty and fresh. I especially appreciated that the wait staff was very knowledgeable about the food (sadly a lacking skill...and yes, I'm looking at you Stella Osteria!) and the wine list. Only very slight downside was the fact that our waiter was a little inattentive. Despite this, we will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Sandra M, Owner at St. Martha's Brasserie, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hi there and thank you for your review. I am glad that your experience overall was a good one and we will raise your comments about inattentive service with our team. Our goal is good food served well and we want to live up to this standard. Busy is not an excuse for inattention, we will work on this...
Ottawa, Canada
“Mikey really liked it !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Some friends and myself decided to try this place after our weekly golf get together. One of the guys had been to the Brasserie a few times and said we had to try it. I had read about it and had the impression in my mind that we would be going "upscale". It's not that at all !

What we found was a charming, little Brasserie that reminded me so much of the little unassuming restaurants in both Quebec City and the Alsace-Strasboug areas. This small and cozy restaurant has been decorated tastefully with traditional walnut and granite and that familiar tin ceiling.

We were greeted by an older gentleman, Alain???, who had to sit us at one of the tall tables near the bar as we didn't think to call for reservations. Despite the full restaurant, he got us a table and some menus in front of us.

We started with a round of beers, again reminiscent of Quebec City, when the Cheval Blanc and St Ambroise arrived with the foccacia sticks to nibble on. We shared some appetizers to start; Mussels, a Caprese Salad and some frites. Two of the guys took down the entire big bowl of mussels so I assume they were great. I had most of the Caprese Salad and it was a flavour party with the buffalo mozzarella, basil, tomato and the reduction that was drizzled across it. The frites were great...Alain?? told us they are cut and prepared to each order. No freezer fries here.

So far, so good. Our initial hunger had been taken care of so we had another round of Cheval Blanc. You don't see this beer in very many places. Its a hazy ale with a light body and a light citrus flavour. Very refreshing after a day on the links.

The main meals arrived about after about 20 minutes after the appetizers were finished; perhaps a little long if you were at a roadhouse but normal for true A la carte food. There was; a pizza with pesto, chicken, apple, walnuts ($17) and some other things. I stole a bite from my buddy. It was very, very good.; Next was the Duck Confit ($20) with a richness that seems to follow all the Brome Lake fowl, it was a strong choice.; a Salad St. Martha with grilled salmon on it.($16) This dish has a lot of flavours across it and is served on a bed of Quinoa. Nice texture touch !!; We had the burger served on a fresh foccacia bread which I haven't a burger served on that type of bun before. It came with the frites and a salad. ($15) It must must have been good as it was the first to disappear.

We didn't have dessert as we were just too full but I would have liked to try the Creme Brulee that everyone else was having around us. We finished with coffees and called it a night.

Brasserie D'Orleans isn't the upscale restaurant I had expected but rather a nice, little traditional Brasserie that served good, basic French style comfort food while not breaking the bank. Our entire evening for four people including beers, appetizers, mains and coffees was $150.00 or $37 each.....or about the same amount we normally spend at the big name pizza chain. There is no comparison. You leave the Brasserie thinking that you just had a dining experience that left you very content and satified. It's not to say that there was not little flaws or breaks in the service along the evening, but it's part of the Brasserie character.

Mikey realy liked it !!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Sandra M, Owner at St. Martha's Brasserie, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We really are delighted that we delivered on our mission statement, good food, served well. I will pass on your compliments to our team as this is a great motivator. We look forward to welcoming you back!
“"Great little restaurant!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I have been to this restaurant several times for both lunch and dinner. We've been as a couple, with family and with friends and were more than satisfied with the food at every occasion. The bavette is tender, the burger very tasty, the lamb shank delicious . My friend Bernard raved about the French onion soup. My wife and I are fans of the " moules et frites" because we like to dip our bread in the broth. For dessert, it's hard to beat the "crème brulée". I recommend reservations if you go for supper and ask for table 41 if you plan an intimate evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Sandra M, Owner at St. Martha's Brasserie, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I am very pleased you enjoyed yourself and we appreciate your support!
Cornwall, Canada
“Extremely disappointed with poor service...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Extremely disappointed with poor service. My wife and I were excited to finally get a chance to dine at this "hot spot" in Orleans. We were celebrating my birthday with a casual lunch as we were able to get a babysitter for the day. We decided to go early (11:30am) to avoid the lunch rush. We arrived and there was only one table seated in the dining room. The "host/waiter" was chatting with the table(of 2) and left myself and my 8 month pregnant wife standing at the front door for approx 5 minutes. When he decided to seat us he asked if we had a reservation to which we did not. He hesitated and gave us a lecture on how we need to make reservations. We asked what time the reservations were for and he hesitated and told us noon. He decided to "allow" us to sit in the middle of the restaurant where he apparently had two open tables all along. Not sure what the lecture on the reservations were all about. As we were seated a waitress ( with red hair)who was starting her shift walked in and our waiter walked away from us to go and chat with her without even giving us menus. About 5 minutes later he came back and brought us menus and took our drink order. I decided to order a Beau's on tap and my wife had water. Once again he disappeared into back as I stare at the empty bar. At this point we felt so uncomfortable and unwelcome that we decided to get up and leave. If you know me you know that I am one of the most easy going and easy to please people there are. I have never felt this way at a restaurant. We have dined at 5 star restaurants in cities around the world including Montreal, New York, Las Vegas, Rome, and Paris. Which means nothing other than that we love food and have never had a worse experience. We were very sad to have this happen in our own backyard. I'm not sure if this waiter was the owner or not. He was older and bald headed. His pretentious attitude was unforthcoming and unnecessary. I understand there has been other good reviews and I am sure the food is quite good but their service needs a great deal of work. I have never been compelled to write a bad review until today. We're not sure if we'll be back unfortunately...

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hi there

Your experience with our restaurant is not acceptable and we have taken steps to ensure no one else is ever treated this way again. I would however like to speak with you about this further. Would you be willing to call me via the restaurant ? I will advise our staff to pass on my cell if I am not onsite when you call. The restaurant number is 613-424-9199, my name is Sandra.
Thank you and again I sincerely apologize for your unfortunate experience with our restaurant.