“Love this Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Tapas
Ottawa
“Love this Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I've been meaning to try this place out for ages and wish I had done so sooner! Went with a few friends for a birthday party and our server made it his mission to make sure we were well taken care of and had a good time. He didn't disappoint. The food was excellent, good selection of drinks and wine. The atmosphere was really cool, very modern. Definitely going back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Par C, Owner at ThaiPas, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
I am really glad and happy to know that you and your group enjoyed the wonderful night at Thaipas.
We hope to see you again soon.
Par

Ottawa, Canada
“ThaiPas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this little gem. I walk by the restaurant daily, and passed it by as the name didn't intrigue me. A few weeks ago, a friend told me she loved the food, and my next lunch opportunity, I decided to check it out.

The decor made me smile, as it reminded me of little lounge spots from my Shanghai days. It has more of a drinks, and night out place than lunch....yet it's fun for the neighbourhood. The menu selection are small plates, and main plates.

I smiled again when the complimentary shrimp chips were brought to the table. I ate these often as a little girl, and it's the first time I've seen it served in a restaurant. I had coincidentally made some at home the week before. I began with the chicken satay and peanut sauce, and it was very tasty. Just enough to whet the appetite. My tastebuds rocked with the red curry shrimp. So flavourful, spicy, delectable! The portion size was just right accompanied with steamed rice. The flavour punch was a very pleasant surprise. I ate every little bite.

I will most definitely return, and even check out the late night offerings as of 11pm, with a drink or two.

• Visited March 2013
Ottawa
“Nice, quiet date spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stumbled across this little tapas place. It had an odd decor (bright neon lights) with with a retro feel at the back. Service was very good, although waitress did not have good knowledge of the extensive wine list. Food was delicious, Satay a bit greasy for my liking but my partner loved them. Plates are on the smaller side for tapas, so be warned. Owner even came out to ask how our meal was. Definitely recommend and go back for a nice, casual night out.

• Visited December 2012
Par C, Owner at ThaiPas, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your visit and your helpful comment look forward to seeing you again:)
Par Chiturai
Ottawa, Canada
“Thai snacks, soft neon ambience, chic atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The food was good and the staff were friendly and relaxed. The indirect coloured neon lighting spread throughout the small establishment is soft and cool without being cold and harsh. Depending on your apetite you can snack on chicken or beef satay, calamari, spring rolls and so on or you can have a steak and salad or something more exotic like Thai spicy beef salad. There's also sweets like coconut ice cream and fried bananas. When we visited free apetizers were available if the group ordered three or more drinks. So six drinks among four people meant three free apetizers. Snack size plate portions averaged $5-$8 or the day's special, more substantial as a meal, Thai steak and mango salad was $16. Two or three small plates are satisfying enough to be a meal. This is also a cocktail bar featuring exotic martinis as well as an array of mixed drinks. According to the staff (owners ?) the bar caters to an evening crowd looking for a late night snack or meal. Open only three months when we visited they were hoping to attract more patrons. The bathrooms were clean, the small kitchen at the back of the place also looked clean. Pleasant atmosphere overall.

• Visited September 2012