“A jewel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 57 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A jewel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

We stayed unfortunately only one night at this lovely B&B, but the welcome we received was very warm and pleasant, we received a nice tour of the house from Richard, which is really really lovely, and lovely decorated. Our room was small, but very cozy, clean and comfortable. The house and the room had a lot of character.
The location is also impeccable. You can simply head out and walk 10 minutes and reach Parlement Hill.
We enjoyed a very pleasant stay and had a very good quiet night.
Breakfast was plenty and delicious (Richard and Partner mad pancakes and sausages).
Next time we're in Ottawa, we'll come back to the Inn on Somerset.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

This is a quaint little B & B that is one I would normally find in the UK, everything was spotless and neat. The host was very welcoming even introducing me to my fellow guest at the breakfast table. The breakfast was good (again like a Brittish B&B). It appeared that if I wanted I could have had my my own open fire in the bedroom. My bedroom had its own ensuite bathroom which I had asked for when booking

It was about 15mins walk from the parliament buildings but there were plenty of restaurants available on nearby Elgin Street.

I was arriving from the rail station which is a bit out of the City, but you can get the 95 bus to the Bank stop and have a ten minute walk from there (Be warned though have the correct change ($3 when I was there))

Who cares if it had a Gay Pride flag outside?

• Liked — Cleanliness and Friendliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

We stayed at the Inn on Somerset in early June 2007. I usually don't like B&Bs but everything else was booked because it was the NHL playoffs. Very glad we stayed there. The rooms were very clean. The owner and staff very friendly. Our particular room was spacious and had a solarium. Also had free wireless internet. Breakfast was served in the morning and it was good.

Some drawbacks: walls are paper thin; leave it at that. Have to share washrooms for some/most rooms. Other rooms we saw were quite tiny. This didn't bug me, but I was quite surprised and some may find it off putting, there is a HUGE gay pride flag outside the inn, just so you know.

In general, I would stay here again. Also, I should mention that it was less expensive than even the mediocre hotel chains.

• Liked — Clean room at the right price, friendly service
  • Disliked — Sharing washrooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

After travelling along day, I was warmly greeted and quickly escorted to my room as staff could see that I needed some downtime.

The staff was also very quick to try and assist me with my requests for restaurants and best ways to get to the places I needed to go. I was happy to find out how conveniently located I was to everything.

The Inn was well run and rooms were well appointed and very clean and quiet. I would not hesitate in recomending this place.

• Liked — The Service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

My mother and I rolled in late on a Monday afternoon, having a work visa appointment the following day. We had no trouble with parking, and even if the Inn's lot is full, there is an outdoor parking lot at either end of the block. We were warmly greeted, given a tour, and got a couple of excellent restaurant recommendations from our host.

It is definately a quiet oasis, as there are notes everywhere requesting that noise be kept down in consideration of others, and the sound on the TV in the entertainment room doesn't go up beyond a conversational level.

The food was excellent, and served with a smile, in a beautiful sunroom that encouraged conversation among guests. What impressed us most was the fact that no request was a hassle. They were always ready to help us with anything we needed.

The one downside was the construction on the street itself. The city is repaving Somerset ave. all summer. So this makes both parking and walking on the street a bit of an adventure. Work is due to be complete at the end of August, but don't let this keep you away. I would not hesitate to recommend this charming inn to anyone.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

We just returned from a one-night stay at the Inn on Somerset. We chose this B&B because it was close to the start line for the Ottawa Race Weekend. It is also in a great location for restaurants on Elgin St, walks to the canal, Museum of Nature, Parliment Buildings, etc. Our room was quite large with a bed and futon couch and a private bath. We were travelling with two small children so the extra space was welcome. There was air conditioning, so the heat outside was not a problem for sleeping. We were lucky enough to get one of the few parking spaces at the B&B so did not have to move the car during our stay. The breakfast was very good: eggs benedict, fruit salad, choice of fruit juices, dry cereals.

But, despite all these 'pluses', we did not find the hospitality that you would usually expect from a Bed and Breakfast. There was no effort to accomodate runners with an early breakfast (some bread/bagels, juice, and coffee would have been perfect). The hosts did not inquire about our comfort in the room, if we had enjoyed breakfast, if we had enjoyed our stay. I kind of got the sense that children were tolerated, but not exactly welcome.

We travel to Ottawa quite regularly and have stayed in many of the hotels and B&B's over the years. We walked away from this B&B with mixed feelings: we enjoyed the location and the breakfast, but were disappointed with the lack of personal touch that you come to expect from this type of establishment.

Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

My sister and I stayed at this B&B for two nights, the rooms where lovely and I found the service there excellent. When we asked for some ideas of where to eat, we where given more suggestions then we new what to do with. I would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Inn on Somerset? Share your experiences!