“2nd stay - consistent quality - a steal for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brookstreet Hotel

You added Brookstreet Hotel to your Saves list
Brookstreet Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Legget Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2K 2W2, Canada (Kanata)   |
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“2nd stay - consistent quality - a steal for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

My wife and I returned to this hotel for four days in June 2009. Although this is listed as an Ottawa hotel, in truth the hotel is much closer to Kanata and not really a convenient location for those wishing to stay in the downtown Ottawa area. The drive to downtown is approximately 25-30 minutes. The drive to the Kanata core is approximately 15 minutes or less. The hotel itself is in my opinion far superior to any other hotel in the Kanata area and was again consistent in quality and service. Check-in was quick and the front desk personnel were friendly and competent. Our king bed room on the 17th floor was spacious, well appointed and extremely clean when we arrived. The view of the golf course and pool area was pleasant but unfortunately due to the unusually humid summer heat we were unable to open the window as we had on our previous stay. The room has a big work desk with chair and a second phone and ethernet connection. The chair faces the window and thus allows for views while working or on the phone. There was a large cushioned chair and ottoman facing the TV and a bench seat on the opposite side of the work desk, facing the room/TV. There is ample drawer (6) and closet space, and there is a small bench that held both our 22 in. carry-on suitcases, allowing us to continue to use the suitcases for items we chose not to unpack. Next to the closet is a small stocked refrigerator, a safe and a small coffee maker. The large bathroom consists of a lengthy granite counter area with a single sink and a tiled tub/shower. All the usual amenities were in the bathroom, including soaps, shampoo and conditioner, a shine rag, a sewing kit, etc.. There is even a large umbrella in the closet in case of rain. The hot water was immediate and flow from the shower head was adjustable. We used early morning room service: the food was excellent, the drinks were cold and the food was hot. Most importantly, the food was delivered at the requested time. We needed maintenance for a light bulb that burned out and they were at our door within five minutes ready to assist. We did not experience the on-site restaurant but the Sunday buffet looked wonderful. My wife uses spas regularly because of the physical demands of her job (decorative artist) and she raved about the masseuse at the spa.
There are some potential drawbacks to the hotel, although they are not of concern to us when we visit the Kanata area. As previously mentioned, the hotel is in an industrial area removed from local shopping and restaurants. Without a vehicle, this would be a real issue. The Centrum mall/restaurants/movies is a 5-10 minute drive on the back roads. There is a substantial charge for parking and for the internet. The other hotel we normally use in Kanata (Holiday Inn & Suites) provides both for free but was 60 USD more per night for the dates in question and in my opinion is not of the same quality as Brookstreet. The price paid for our stay averaged less than 100 USD per night, which more than offset the cost of the parking and internet. If you need to be close (walking distance) to restaurants and shopping, this is not the hotel you need. For me this was a no-brainer given close proximity to shopping/restaurants is not a priority. Although I rent a car at the airport, there is a Hertz outlet in the hotel should the need for a vehicle arise. We visit the area every three months: I have stayed at most hotels in the Kanata area several times and Brookstreet is now my hotel of choice.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

We went for a wedding reception. This was the worst food I've ever had. They did not make enough for everyone, granted it was buffet, but they should have had enough for everyone to eat at least 1.5 plates of food. After the first 25 guests, there was NOTHING left. The groom's parents asked them to bring more out and they said they were "working on it". No coffee or tea at the end either. Terrible.

• Stayed May 2009
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

great hotel. very clean. Awesome Chef and restaurant

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Booked a one night getaway on the hotel web site, C$153 prepaid(!) for a deluxe king room. Hotel is in Kanata North, in the middle of a high tech commercial park - very little within walking distance. Clean and modern, nice furnishings, lots of amenities. Reminds me of the Sandman Signature Toronto Airport.

Wins the "won't come back" for three reasons:
(1) Check in - clerk #1 gives us keys to a room, when we go upstairs, it's two queen beds. So we go back to the front desk and clerk #2 tells us that there are no king rooms available. After replying that given that we prepaid they should have kept a room aside for us, much hemming and hawing, and ultimately a room is found at the last minute. No apology, no complementary drink, nothing at all.

(2) Parking - despite plenty of room, prohibited from parking outdoors, so the hotel can charge $9.99/day for underground parking. When we came back that evening, the regular underground lot was full so we were routed to an overflow lot - which is free. What a scam!

(3) Bed killed my back and that of my wife - not sure why, but it's the first time we've had such a problem at a four start hotel.

Next time I'll save a few bucks and stay at the Holiday Inn Deluxe down the road.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

My wife, daughter and I stayed here in June 2008 - I forgot to rate the hotel at the time. I wanted to report on the stay given our overall favorable impression of the property, albeit with one problem at checkout. I visit the area every few months and normally stay closer to Kanata. Other hotels were booked and I was able to get a room at Brookstreet. Glad I did! The only drawback to this hotel is the location as it adds 10 minutes travel time to central Kanata and is slightly farther removed from most restaurants/stores in the area. Conversely, it is closer to Ottawa if you need to go in both directions. But it is definitely a notch above other hotels in the area in quality.
The hotel was fully booked for the NHL draft but check-in was quick and seamless. The front desk staff was friendly and pleasant. The room was modern and comfortable, with two queen beds, an ample work desk with ethernet access and a great view of the pool and golf course from the desk. We were pleased we were actually able to open the large window for some fresh air. The bathroom was very large and somewhat luxurious, with a glass window divider with curtain open to the room. It was stocked with all the usual bathroom amenities and a hair dryer. Only thing lacking was flat screen TV but the TV worked well and the picture was good.
We did not use the restaurant but family has dined here in the past and states the food is very good. Several restaurant patrons remarked on the good quality of the food. The workout facilities and the spa were both well received by my wife and daughter. The golf course was in excellent condition and the golf course staff were extremely helpful and friendly. There is a parking fee in the underground garage. I was told parking in the front lot was not permitted. Only disappointment was checkout. The checkout personnel at the counter questioned the rate and tried to charge me a much higher rate. I advised them of my quoted rate and was told that could not be possible given the hotel was sold out and the NHL occupied most of the hotel. They were not particularly pleasant at this point: I felt I was being scrutinized and was suspect. How the correct quoted rate could not be in my reservation file is beyond me. I produced a printed copy of the reservation and rate. The counter person became slightly more polite but insisted on making a copy! I question how this would have been resolved had I not brought a printed copy of my confirmation rate. I have not had an issue with rates at any hotel in the past. This was a first.
I would recommend this hotel to friends and will stay here again, assuming the price is right (in several ways) and I have a copy in writing of the rate..

• Liked — Quality of the hotel for the price and the location close to Kanata
  • Disliked — Rate discrepancy and longer distance to central Kanata
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Bay, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Our hockey team stayed here and be warned that they have a Special Policy for "our kind". If your team is anti-social and just want a room to stay in - this is the place for you. If you are like our team and like to kick back with the parents in a hospitality room and enjoy some beers and let the kids play mini sticks in the hallways - NEVER BOOK HERE! They had security (which i lovingly called the Warden) who walked the halls of each floor that had a hockey team on it. They also had another who ( i can only assume) stayed in the elevator all night. Pool is nice and so is the exercise room - if you don't mind a 10 walk to get to it.. High class and snobby is how I would describe this hotel. So if you like Presidential security and tipping your doorman kind of hotel - Brookstreet is your place. If you want relax - go somewhere else, anywhere else!

• Liked — Heated garage for my car.
  • Disliked — Horrible policies and bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever had!
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

This was my first stay at the Brookstreet, although I am often in Kanata on business. I was very impressed with the entire experience - from check-in to check-out. The staff were friendly, the king room was nicely appointed and it had a great bed. I was a little nervous about the pillows, but they turned out to be absolutely fantastic, and I slept extremely well. The hotel mentions that their windows open, and in fact they do, which is a big plus for me. The room temperature is controlled by a digital thermostat that can be set in 1/2 degree increments and has an extremely quiet fan system. I had the a la carte breakfast downstairs and although it was pricey (as expected), it was delicious. The dinner menu definitely looked worth a visit to Perspectives Restaurant but I had unfortunately already had dinner elsewhere -drats - the "Six-hour Braised Bison Rib, with rhubarb & brown sugar toffee, pistachio and lime cheek" had me regretting having already eaten in Ottawa. There was a terrific jazz quartet playing in the lobby lounge. Parking (underground) was an extra $10, but well worth it for not having to freeze in the -12C morning temperature while waiting for your car to warm up. The Brookstreet will definitely NOT be over-run by hockey moms & their kids partying in the hallways all evening, as in other Kanata hotels that I unfortunately have had the pleasure of experiencing. Looking forward to staying there again on my next trip to Kanata.......

• Liked — Perfect for a business trip
  • Disliked — No ice machines
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Brookstreet Hotel? Share your experiences!