“Poutine, Reimagined” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
“Poutine, Reimagined”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

It's insane! Toppings toppings toppings is all I have to say. Piggy Gone Wild is my personal favourite. I've never experienced a place like this. Must try!

“It's a great place, but fries can get better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Different from other placed in Barrhaven! Portions are huge, even the left over from the small size was taken home. We will come back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Fantastic fix for that "Bad for you Craving"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Went into the Spud's at Elmvale Mall for lunch - I had decided that today was going to be a cheater day for me. I ordered a traditional medium poutine and my husband had the fajita poutine also in a medium size. The portions are huge - and Spud's is very generous with their toppings. This is a very filling meal that is relatively inexpensive! Shortly after we started to dig into our poutine's we had both realized that we should have ordered the small.

This was really good "Bad for you food". As you first start digging into it you are greeted with heavenly delight, but as you progressively start getting full it is the kind of meal that once you have your last bite your regret the whole experience.

There are so many varieties of poutine and a few hot doges/sausages on their menu but that's about it - it is a Potato Bar specializing in poutine!

Overall a great, inexpensive filling meal - that you want to enjoy in moderation!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kemptville, Canada
“Good Food, but Poor Marks on Cleanliness”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We heard about Spud's from a friend who ranted about the choices and serving size. So we decided to try the Barrhaven Location one Saturday afternoon. The restaurant was pretty quiet with only three patrons. As we walked up to the order counter we were greeted with a friendly hello. The menu boards weren't the easiest ones I've ever navigated, but we were just looking to try the basic poutine and see if the fuss about them was valid. We finally found "Classic Poutine" and ordered a medium. One thing I suggest to relatively new resaurants, is for staff to identify 1st time customers and offer advice on ordering and food choices. This wasn't done there that day. After paying, which was reasonable, we turned to find a table and wait. There seemed to be too few tables for the size of the room. There were no aisles and rows in any order to the tables and chairs and they desperately needed a surface cleaning. There was garbage on many of the tables from previous customers and napkins and straws littered about on the floor. There were three people on staff at the time, so this should have not been an issue. We chose the table that seemed to be the cleanest although there was still traces of a ketchup accident. While we waited for our food we noticed a huge pile of bags of potatoes off to the side of the large room. This meant the cut their own fries, a welcome site. Next to the pallet of potatoes was another pallet with cooking oil in large plastic tubs and numerous empty ones. Unlike the potatoes, this didn't add to the room decor. The plastic tubs were dirlty and the wall behind them was full of scuff marks where tubs had hit the wall. The floor around the pallet was very dirty. I would recommend closing in that area from view. A dinning table was only a few feet from the area...not an appetizing thing to look at. When our food came about 3-5 minutes later is was very hot and tasted good. I have had better poutine from local chip trucks, but this was still pretty good in my opinion. We added extra cheese for a $1.00 and it was definitely worth it. I am no cheese expert and I didn't ask, but I would say that they don't use St. Albert's curds there. Now, because of th recent fire at St. Albert maybe they have a different supplier, but I didn't notice any signs and the cheese certainly wasn't of that quality. My wife and I shared a medium and we weren't able to finish it. I will probably try one of the other locations since the food was good, but if I find the same issues with cleanliness, I'll probably won't be back a 3rd time.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Way too many choices of poutine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

There must be at least 30 different types of poutine here. I really had trouble choosing one. (Finally settled on one with steak, onions and peppers).

It was quite good and would definitely try it again but as poutine isn't the healthiest of foods, it will be a while before I go back.

TIP:

The portions here are huge. A medium was more than I could handle and I usually have a good appetite. I can't see anyone finishing a large on their own without help. As such, I'd suggest a small.

Visited February 2013