“Great food, great beer, slightly overpriced.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ontario
“Great food, great beer, slightly overpriced.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This place was within walking distance of our hotel so we thought that we would give it a try. A picturesque location in a nifty old building. I found the food excellent but you pay a premium for the atmosphere. Hopefully you enjoy it. It's a bit noisy but kinda cool. The service was excellent. I was a little put off by the prices. Kids meal was $7 and his root beer was over $3. I wasn't thrilled with the other prices either. Good food so I recommend it as long as you aren't looking for the best value.

• Visited September 2013

Ottawa, Canada
“Great eating in Ottawa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We yesterday went for dinner at MSBP and had the beef noodle salad and the masala chicken and both were excellent. The beef was a bit tough, but because it was so tastily seasoned, in fact, it was better to chew and savour the taste rather than the usual bolting down of something that "melts in your mouth". The masala was done to perfection and just the right degree of spiciness. Of course the beer was terrific. Our desert, the carrot cake cheesecake caramel thingee was a very tasty surprise as we ordered it more out of curiousity than expecting anything that went down well. It was in fact delicious. Really friendly and attentive service as always. We liked that the music outside was subdued enough that we could enjoy the tranquillity of a summer evening without sacrificing an upbeat vibe.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, New York
“Noisy brew pub with an interesting menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Mill Street Brew Pub has an interesting history and fine location near the water, The pub is very noisy, but the wait staff is attentive if a little over friendly. ( Note to servers- I want you to wait on me- not become my new best friend) I ordered a very interesting salad- Indian Kale- It missed the mark of greatness, but was an interesting selection and I appreciated the flavor profile. My sister ordered a "Poutine burger"- she enjoyed it"s local flair. She also ordered a carrot cake cheese cake combo. It seemed like overkill to me, but after having a taste- it was delicious! We sat indoors, as it was very humid, but the outdoor patios seemed lovely. I would visit again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“Great dinner at Mill Street!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Probably the best experience I have had in a brew pub type restaurant and definitely the best pub experience I have ever had in Ottawa - and I've lived here a very long time. Great location, easy parking, and friendly and professional staff who actually knew what they were selling and actually seemed to care about customer service. They were packed when we got there and even though our waiter (Dan) warned us there might be a short wait for our meals, we got our drinks right away, our appetizers quickly and the main courses arrived in good time. We never felt rushed and we also never felt ignored (something that can be hard to achieve in a busy restaurant). Our waiter kept the drinks coming and even offered to replace a beer that I had ordered when I told him I thought it was a little light in taste. (To be honest the beer would have been great if I had been sitting outside on a really hot day but I was inside and it was nice and cool and I wanted a beer with a bit more body to it.) I finished the first beer and ordered another type - tankhouse that went perfectly with my main course.

As for my main course all I can say is that they serve quite possibly the best ribs I have ever eaten - fall off the bone tender and perfectly smoked and sauced. But be warned the portion is enormous so you might want to rethink the appetizers. I think the ribs are only available on Thursday so plan your visit accordingly.

Will definitely be back!