“Wonderful home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambiance Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ottawa
Ambiance Bed and Breakfast
You added Ambiance Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
330 Nepean Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 5G6, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 57 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Maria made our recent stay such a memorable experience, we just had to say thanks again!

From the moment we arrived we felt instantly at home - how warm, welcoming (& trusting) to find a personalised note awaiting us with a set of front door keys & directions to our room in her absence.

Our queen size room was clean & comfortable & included a desk & chair which made free wifi considerably more comfortable than sitting on the bed! The ensuite was large & provided seperate wardrobe space along with robes & slippers which were appreciated.

Cold drinks along with bickies, tea & coffee were available for the duration of our stay in a small upstairs kitchenette which also housed a fridge & microwave for guests use.

We made good use of the cozy downstairs loungeroom with open fireplace, TV & a great collection of books, magazines & brochures, along with a comprehensive folder of personal recommendations on everything from local restaurants & transport options to shopping & sightseeing tips.

Breakfasts were a real treat & each morning a freshly cooked suprise appeared following our fruit & yoghurt entrees....delicious artwork on a plate! Freshly brewed coffee & home baked pastries followed with friendly conversation between fellow guests & Maria's very helpful suggestions & tips on best planning our daily activities.

We thoroughly enjoyed all interractions with our host who is so very suited to her role & clearly enjoys what she does for a living...it shows! Maria is a talented & amusing conversationalist, brilliant cook & kind & genuine soul.

We hope to make it back to Ottawa one day to enjoy her hospitality once more & perhaps see more of this wonderful city!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

... then the town must be filled with brusque, sarcastic, rigid townspeople. The proprietor is not what one would expect in a B&B host, and I've met dozens in my travels. During my stay, I witnessed her being sarcastic and overbearing with several guests, including myself. There were way too many rules (remove your shoes at the door, park in this exact lettered grid and leave your key at the door at all times, don't expect me to be around to greet you when you arrive), too much judgement about people's choices (dietary and otherwise) and a general sense of cheapness (asking for a second towel in my bathroom caused a pregnant pause). The bed was old & creaky, and the bad 80s decor tired. The appearance of some of the surrounding houses on the street made me a tad uneasy when I arrived. On the positive side, it was clean and the breakfasts were quite tasty. There was a nice tea/coffee room with cookies and a common bar fridge in which to keep lunches, etc. About a 10-minute walk from Bank St.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
AmbianceOttawa, Owner at Ambiance Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
First allow me to thank you for taking the time to express yourself and for also making an effort to include some positive observations in your unfavorable review.
While these criticisms will provide me the opportunity to inform, what would be most beneficial and educational to the entire service industry & business owners as a whole as well as to consumers would be if people addressed & discussed their concerns at the time of their experience rather than waiting to return home and anonymously make judgments on the internet without making an effort to learn the reasoning behind the actions or policies of an individual business.

Direct communication truly would make the world a better place don't you think?

I apologize if my personality is not what your opinion of a host should be, obviously as humans we are not all the same. Just as all B&B's and their policies and amenities are not all the same, guests & customers are also not all the same.
I've met thousands of people over the years and thankfully the majority are fantastic, but that's just my opinion of course.
Most of my guests have appreciated my outgoing bubbly personality and yes what could sometimes be described by some as a sarcastic sense of humour.
Life is too short and serious so I choose to be funny and try to enjoy life while I can :-)

As for the 'rules' you speak of these 'policies' are to ensure the comfort and convenience of all our guests.
Regarding check in and arrival it is impossible for us to be here all the time. While we do live on the premises we still must leave the B&B to shop for food in order to operate the business as well for personal appointments. Unfortunately due to the nature of the business this is usually only possible after 3:00 p.m. when rooms are ready and so we must make arrangements for guests to be able to let themselves in if we are not able to be here.
Most guests appreciate the flexibility of arriving at their own convenience and not having to be here at a designated time convenient only to us.

Removing shoes and boots at the front door of our home is not unique. Most homestay B&B's have similar policies as do most people in their own homes.
We ask this of our guests not only to help keep it clean but to help ensure all guests have the opportunity to enjoy a relatively toxin free environment without having to step in and breath in everything other people have walked on throughout the course of their day.
Many people have allergies and sensitivities to environmental toxins and so we try to help avoid any unpleasant situations.
This is also why we use non toxic/natural cleaners in our home.

As you are aware we go out of our way to ask in advance about peoples dietary restrictions & allergies so that we can plan menus ahead and accommodate needs accordingly to ensure that all guests have the opportunity to enjoy their stay. Unlike a restaurant we do not have a menu from which people can select their breakfast when they sit down. We prepare a different entree everyday and we plan each days breakfast ahead of time and shop accordingly to accommodate our guests individual specific needs.
When you reserved you advised us when asked of your food restriction and that you were also allergic to feathers and so for your comfort we removed any items from your room that may have caused you any discomfort.

If my discussing your dietary restrictions as well as those restrictions of other guests during breakfast was interpreted by you or any of your friends as judgmental I'm sorry you took it that way but it was for no other reason than to obtain further knowledge.
There are many various food sensitivities, allergies, restrictions and choices and no two people are exactly alike.

I believe in asking questions to further learn and not just assume I have all the answers.

Same goes for your judgment about the towels.
If there was a pause when you asked for an extra towel, it was because you did exactly that...simply asked for an extra towel without specifying was it a hand towel or bath towel? I paused because I was uncertain I knew exactly what you needed. Everyone's needs and causes are different.
We clearly state in our guest information that if you need extra towels or anything else at all just ask. We are trying to do our part for the environment (which most people appreciate) so we do not automatically replace towels everyday or provide more than one set per person unless asked. Not uncommon in the B&B's of today's world.

Cheap to you is environmentally conscious to us.

Parking is included in our room rates and we have exactly one spot for each room. We are lucky to have parking at all as many B&B's in the downtown area do not have any parking or not enough for all rooms. Yes it requires people to park properly and accurately as indicated or not everyone can benefit from the free onsite parking. Leaving keys ensures that we can always move the cars to ensure all guests can benefit from the space and I thank you for having left your keys each day as we did need to reposition your car on two occasions so other guests could also access the parking.

Again, this type of parking arrangement is also very common where parking is often limited if available at all.

As for the area, well I'm sorry I can not control the neighborhood.
While we are very centrally located downtown yes a couple of the homes (all over 100 years old) on the street unfortunately may need a fresh coat of paint and a little work.
Regardless of that our area as well as the city of Ottawa as a whole is still a very safe city at any hour of the day or night.

Also like many cities there is construction where condominiums are being built and that too is not always a pretty sight for us but it is a reality of urban life.

If we truly were rigid, cheap and judgmental we wouldn't be so flexible to accommodate peoples arrival times, breakfast times or their special dietary needs and restrictions. We wouldn't provide all the extras like drinks, cookies, toiletries, robes and other numerous amenities that we do and we would accept only guests that we felt were exactly like us no differences...well thankfully it is the opinion of our logical, respectful, inteligent and experienced B&B travellers that we are none of those things.

I hope that perhaps you may now have a better understanding of why and how our policies are structured to provide comfort and convenience to all our guests equally and not just a select self-interested few.

Wishing you nothing but perfection and complete satisfaction in all your future travels!
Penticton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Maria went above and beyond to make my stay most pleasurable. She was SO generous to invite my Univeristy attending son for a meal too!. We really enjoyed the food , ambiance and company of the other guests. This home is in a very convenient location too. I even went home with one of her cherished recipes! so thoughful . I will be sure to pass this B & B name on to my friends,

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed for 2 days and were very pleased with Maria's hospitality and great location.
We would recommend this B & B to anybody traveling to Ottawa.

Halle, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We had a wonderful time at the Ambiance B&B in Ottawa. Maria is a cheerful host, always in for a chat, and she makes the most delicious breakfast, actually, the best we had on our holiday in Canada. The B&B is within walking distance of the center of Ottawa, in a nice area. We had an onsuite bedroom on the third floor, with a comfortable bed, a desk, and a bathroom with toilet and bath (with shower in bath). The tea and coffee facilities were a nice plus. So we can surely recommend the place!

Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed at Ambiance B and B for a week in September 2011 as I was in Ottawa for work purposes.

Maria's home is exeptionally clean, well presented and in a handy location close to the City and Parliament.

Maria ensured that I had everything I needed and provided the most deliclious breakfasts I have ever had in a B and B or five star hotel. Her attention to detail in my bedroom was second to none.

She provides her guests with a small kitchen in which you are able to store items in the regrigerator. She supplies complimentary coffee/tea and cold drinks which was so welcome on the day of my arrival which was very hot.

The house is spotlessly clean and nicely appointed and decorated.

The house is air-conditioned which was really important in the humid summers.

The B and B is central to most of the tourist or business places of interest. Maria is very knowedgeable about the city and was able to give me information about getting around the city, which is handy for the business traveller.

I would not hesitate to recommend staying at Ambiance B and B, it is very special, as is Maria.
She is a warm and generous hostess and does her best to make your stay pleasurable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Probably one of the cleanest B&Bs we've ever stayed in. Room 4 is nicely decorated with a good sized bath. There are nice hard wood floors throughout the house. The location was really convenient and we parked our car on Friday and kept it there all weekend as we just walked everywhere. Nice converasations at breakfast with Maria and the other guests. I thought the breakfasts were alright, nothing spectacular, but it wouldn't stop us from staying again which we plan on doing the next time we are in Ottawa.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambiance Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!