“Beautiful spacious rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Ottawa
“Beautiful spacious rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here for one night using marriott reward points I had collected. It's by far the nicest Courtyard I've ever stayed at. I had a room with a king size bed, and it was huge. The kitchenette area was very useful and the bathroom had two showers in it, one was a bathtub/shower and the other was a standalone shower.

The decor is very modern and crisp. The bed was so comfortable and I really wanted to stay for a few more nights.

We ate breakfast at the Bistro by the lobby, (which is basically a glorified Starbucks, so be prepared for pricey meals). It opens at 6 am, perfect if you have to be somewhere early. They offer basic breakfast meals, I had a Breakfast sandwich that was quite good.

The staff were very friendly and quite accomodating for our very late check-in and also allowed us a late-checkout.

The complimentary underground parking was very nice as well.

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Ottawa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Brand new, I don't know when this hotel was built but it can't be more than a few years old, it still smells new.
Good size rooms, mine had king size bed. Room equipped with small drink fridge and microwave.
Lobby and bar area is spacious. room pricing probably at market .
Overall I'll probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Courtyard, and it's a great hotel. It's new, so everything is modern, clean and spacious. Our room had a king size bed, with a pull out bed from the sofa, a huge living room/office desk area, great view. The room had a kitchenette with stone countertops, sink, fridge and microwave - really convenient since I was travelling with a child. The hotel has a swimming pool/gym on the penthouse (15th floor), and great lounge and restaurante on the main floor, and they serve Starbucks. There is also a mini-market, with all sorts of conveniences for food. Parking is underground and easily accessible from the hotel elevator. This hotel in NOT downtown Ottawa, so some driving is required. It is close to the highways and shopping plazas. From the hotel you can get to anywhere quickly.

Room Tip: 822 was quiet, close to ice/beverage vending machines, and had a nice view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed in a king bedroom for four nights and felt right at home at this hotel, didn't want to leave. Very spacious, nicely decorated room in soft red and cream tones (a far cry from the usual sterile hotel rooms). Used the laundry room with driers, didn't use the pool but it looked nice. Everything very clean and new, looking forward to staying there again. Nice view, had some minor traffic noise in the evening but very quiet at night. Requested a room away from elevator and didn't hear noises from within the hotel as someone stated. Yes, the fan in the bathroom is very loud, a shame one cannot switch it on and off, but no big deal. Had some food in the bar/restaurant area one evening and both, my caesar salad and the dessert were presented in a hard plastic bowl, I thought that was rather odd, almost off-putting. Check-in was quick, friendly and express check-out. Free newspapers and free computers. In good weather the mall (St. Laurent) is to do on foot, in heavy rain its better to take a taxi. Taxis are present near the entrance of hotel. Oh, and I almost forgot the impeccable job the maid did. I never had to request new towels or else, the mini-kitchen was cleaned every day and coffee/tea refilled. Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This hotel really surprised me -- in a good way.
My expectation for a Courtyard Marriott Hotel was something very bland and boring, and uber functional for biz people. Just standard stuff. Reasonably clean but nothing special -- at least that's what I thought.

Boy was I surprised. This is a really nice property and the finishings are very pleasing.

Getting off the elevator (a bit slow moving that elevator was), I was shocked at how wide the hallway was, and light and airy. Also appreciated that ice and soft drink machines were out in the open, not tucked away into a dark room where a female, especially, might feel vulnerable.

My room was massive with really high ceilings, a seating area, huge windows with nice drapery to block out view of parking lot, desk area, closet, huge wet bar area etc.
The room was also immaculate, especially the bathroom (see photos) which gleamed. In fact, this has to be the cleanest room I have ever stayed in.

Heating and air conditioning worked really well and was very quiet, so sleep was no problem.

I loved the natural tones used to furnish the room and found the desert-like colors very relaxing.

I thought the extensive range of food products available by dispensing machines 24/7 on the ground-floor near lobby was a good idea -- especially the many single-serving Hagen-Daz flavours to choose from. Nice touch.

Location wasn't bad - about a $14 cab ride to downtown, one-way.

Great property -- I would stay there again in a heart-beat.

(By the way, was travelling with my parents, who are in their 70s, and they also raved about and enjoyed their own room.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

As I entered this new hotel I have to say that I was not impressed, the reception was a kind of huge cold space in yellow tones, hard surfaces and a sense of industrial space, almost. Once I walked inside and paid attention to details I discovered the theme of the decor, evoking nature with earth tones and stoneworks. The bedroom was splendid, very spacious with all the commodities, almost. I advocate that all hotels of that category should have a close-up mirror in the bathroom. Also, the tall mirror should not be in the bathroom but in the bedroom area. The bed was very confortable and furniture was fine. There didn't seem to be any room service available so I went down for breakfast. The choice was large; this morning a buffet was on offer, and I must say that the canadian bacon was not crispy, maybe because of the way it was kept warm, and the sausages of very poor quality. The rest was very good. Lots of fruit, cereals, yogurts, etc. I was surprised to be served the bill once I had already made my way to the front counter to pay my bill. Being a buffet I had of course served myself and a lady came twice to ask if all was right, and she caught up with me at the cashier with a bill that had a gratuity slot. I don't expect to pay gratuity when I use the buffet... All in all it is a very nice hotel and I would return for business in the area, for sure.

Room Tip: I asked for a room away from the elevators on a high floor and got it. It made for a very quiet nigh...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Very happy with my choice of this hotel for a weekend stay while attending an airshow in Gatineau. Fast, efficient late evening check in and off to a very well appointed room with nice view from massive window.

Beds were comfortable and mini-kitchen was a nice touch. Both shower and shower/bath in large brightly lit bathroom with only a very loud fan to spoil the effect.

Restaurant/coffee shop/bar is an interesting idea and worked quite well - enjoyed both breakfast and dinner.

Room rate was not overly expensive for such an excellent property located centrally in downtown Ottawa and I would heartily recommend the Courtyard Ottawa East be part of your travel plans should you need to visit Canada's capital for business or pleasure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard Ottawa East? Share your experiences!