“Rather expensive for what you get” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #153 of 2,223 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: Wilfrid's Restaurant offers diners a vibrant seasonal menu featuring local and regional ingredients. The culinary flavors are rich, the presentation is clean and the service is exceptional. A complete selection of wines is also available to compliment the Chef's creations. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch - this stunning newly renovated restaurant is more than just a restaurant; it's a complete culinary experience.
Ottawa, Canada
“Rather expensive for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hmmm...what do I start with? It was New Year's Eve and there was a set menu for $159/person. The first course was lobster bisque or another soup.  We both had the bisque and it was very tasty.  The second course was a green salad, golden beets, and a mini cheese souffle (no other choice) which was also flavourful.  The third course was a palate cleanser of sorbet.  The fourth course was a choice of sable fish and half a (small) lobster tail, a beef rib Wellington style and a tenderloin steak, or a duck dish consisting of a breast and a confit leg. I had the fish and lobster which came with a bit of truffle oil risotto which was slightly undercooked but tasty.  The sable fish and lobster were quite good.  My partner had the beef course which was also good.  We saw the duck at other tables and it appeared to also be of the same caliber.  The final course was a dessert plate with several types of chocolate desserts.  The dark chocolate dessert was heavenly and the highlight of the meal (and I am not a dessert person!) and the other items on the dessert plate were nearly as good.  My complaint about the dessert would have to be that it was simply too much food for a dessert course; it could have easily been half the size.  I would have preferred to have seen another course or perhaps the other half of the lobster tail! All said, a very tasty meal but rather expensive when you consider that it was over $500 for two people once you add in a bottle of wine, tax and a modest tip.

With regard to the service, our waiter was friendly and professional until a table of Russian (tourists?) we're seated nearby and then the service level dropped significantly.  I have never seen a table monopolize the restaurant staff in such a way before.  First, they spent about fifteen or twenty minutes letting one of them wander through the restaurant to select a table (the whole while, he complained loudly about why this or that table just couldn't possibly work for them). Then, the same man spent close to half an hour grilling the poor waiter over the wine list (and asking to taste various wines) It was probably a good hour or more before that table ordered their meal.  In the meanwhile, our wine and water glasses sat empty for nearly thirty minutes and we just sat there with empty plates waiting for someone to take our coffee or after dinner drink order (and to bring our dessert). In the end, we didn't have coffee or drinks with our dessert as our meal had lost its momentum and we felt that it was time to leave.  I wouldn't be surprised if that man at the neighboring table sent back at least one course of his meal .

We also noticed that all the other tables seemed to have received party hats, noisemakers, etc.  The only festive addition to our table was a sprinkling of some stars and sparkles on the table cloth.  Not that we needed party favors but it would have been nice to have been offered them.

All in all, we can't fault the food as it was good but I don't believe that it hit the price point that it was being sold at, and, unfortunately, our service was severely affected by a nearby demanding table which monopolized the poor waiter's time.

Would we go back? Hard to say.  We will have to sleep on that for a few days.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kingstown, St. Vincent
“Slow Service - Average Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

A group of work colleagues and I were looking for a place near the conference centre to have lunch and we ended up at Wilfrid's. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, but it seemed to take forever for our food to arrive. I guess Wilfrid's is not the venue if you need to get back to work on time.
They do have a rather interesting menu in that they cater to various dietary restrictions (e.g.: Vegan, gluten free, diabetic). The prices are a tad steep, but of course that is to be expected from a restaurant in the historic Chateau Laurier.
The food was a bit of a hit and miss I'm afraid. My Nicoise salad was pretty decent, not outstanding but definitely ok; the tuna was cooked properly at least. There were far too many raw onion chunks in the salad that I wasn't aware of by the description in the menu. I am allergic to raw onions so this was a bit of a nuisance.
My companion's beet salad looked nice and she had no complaints, but for the price it sure was a small portion! My other companion's seafood alfredo was alas disappointing. The alfredo sauce looked starchy and gummy, the shrimps were still transluscent and some of the clams were still closed. I would think Wilfrid's would do better than that.
Given that Ottawa has so many new and eclectic restaurants now, I cannot see myself coming back here for dinner (or for lunch for that matter).

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Overpriced and undercooked”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I almost rated this as "average" as the service was quite good however, I have chosen to reduce this to "poor" as I have chosen to rate this restaurant on it's food.

Went there with some dear friends 2 days ago for lunch and ordered a pasta dish...with grilled prawns and white clams. Prawns were quite large, light pink and transparent in the middle (obviously quite undercooked). I had about 7 clams on my plate and one was not open so obviously not cooked. One would think that, in such a fancy restaurant, the plate would not have been served with an unopened clam. The linguine, sticky. Overall, the taste was however, quite nice. The sauce was quite flavorful.

I did not raise the issues with my server as I was already running quite late. The dining room was very busy and we waited close to 45 minutes for our food and, with a meeting at 1:00...food arriving at 12:40, I could not afford the time it would have taken to replace my meal.
To summarize, a $33 + tip bill for a lunchtime plate of pasta and one beer certainly comes with an expectation of quality in my books. At Wilfrid's, the quality did not appear.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“great brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

To eat to Wilfred's is like eating with class, everything is beautiful from the decor to the presentation of their lavish brunch buffet. There
is something for everyone.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I cannot praise the Sunday brunch at the Chateau highly enough. There is a wonderful range of choices of food available. The ambience is second to none, and the staff are really pleasant and attentive.