“SpicyyyyyyyLiciouss !” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Ottawa
“SpicyyyyyyyLiciouss !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you love spicy food, this is the place to be !!! I have been to Smoque Shack quite a few times and never been dissappointed! Their peri peri wings and jamacian jerk wings are ohh soo amazing!! (warning: they are really really hot ! :P) Besides the wings, the ribs, the jerk chicken, everything is so delicious! The servers are very friendly! Great place for a quick bite with friends and family. I'll definitely be back :)

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Red Deer
“Average food, not great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were invited to the Smoque Shack for a pre wedding dinner and we very disappointed by the lack of parking, lack of a greeter to dirrect us where to go and lack of items suitable for kids. I understand that this restraunt is not geared for kids as it looks like a full out pub downstairs but if they are going to offer the space upstairs for private parties with kids then some consideration should be in order as well as some kind of dirrection from somewhere at the door so people aren't leading their kids through a drunken crowd trying to find their party. Our food was ok. Average. Nothing exciting. My daughters salad (the only thing she would eat) was misplaced and the waiter kept trying to push the maccaroni (very garlicy) on her.

Visited February 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Great local fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have been there 3 times, and each time the food and service was consistently very good. Love the portion sizes, not too big and perfect for sharing. Great place for a quick hearty meal with family or friends.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mississauga
“Consistently delicious, amazing value, local flare, great beer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We've been going to this place since it opened and it has been excellent every single time. The ribs are among the best we've had, the pulled pork is sauced beautifully (you can taste a little Jamaican twist in there, it's very satisfying) and served on an ACE bakery bun if desired, topped with their home-made coleslaw. I'm drooling just writing about it.
Order a Smoque Shack Ceasar at every chance you get because there is so much going on in the glass, a few of those and who needs dinner? They add BBQ sauce to the clamato, and they garnish the drink with pickles and a little nibble of tasty meat. Love it. Another favourite is the southern style greens which are usually a hearty mix of whatever seasonal greens they have (swiss chard, kale, etc) and hunks of bacon in a savoury aux jus.
The way the menu is structured makes it easy to order several sides with your meal and not break the bank. They offer very simple main dishes which you can then add whatever sides you desire. You can order "sharing" sides which are also nice if you feel too guilty hogging your very own side of sweet potato fries, Mac and cheese, potato salad, fried pickles, poutine or creamy coleslaw.
The beers they carry are all Ontario brews, and Beaus is a staple, thank goodness, because it's some of the best beer around.
The staff who work here are casual, professional and consistent, and it's nice to see familiar faces when we come in.
We keep coming back to Smoque Shack whatever the occasion: a weeknight meal, night out with friends, watching the game.
Thank you for this Ottawa staple!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, Canada
“Smoque Shack Ottawa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I visited the Smoque Shack recently with my 8YO son, at his request as he wanted ribs for his birthday. The Smoque Shack is rated as the #1 BBQ restaurant in Ottawa, so we gave it a try.

Though some reviews have mentioned poor service, I found our service to be excellent. The restaurant was busy when we arrived (shortly after 6PM on a Saturday) but the greeter at the door found us a table within 5 minutes. Our server was prompt and friendly, and very helpful.

I knew that we wouldn't be eating a lot, since I was dining with an 8YO and we'd both had a late lunch, so we only ordered one main each and no sides. I didn't want any food to be wasted. He got a half-rack of ribs, and I got a half-pound of brisket, then we split both orders and shared. I thought the ribs were good, but not the best that I've had. The brisket though was very nice, with lots of flavour in the meat and the sauce, and some nice bark on the meat. I was wishing I'd been hungrier so I could have ordered some corn bread to go with it, but on this day that would have been too much for me to eat.

Overall I was pleased with my meal there, as was my son. We'd both visit again.

• Visited February 2013