“A worthwhile drive!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“A worthwhile drive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We celebrated a very special occasion by going to the Main Street Wine Cellar, and this restaurant deserves its accolades. Located in a red brick Victorian house, they have two main dining areas, including one on the second floor. The service was attentive and not at all rushed, the waitress was very informative. The pace of the meal was excellent.
For appetizers, we ordered the dumplings and red pepper humus served with chick peas and naan bread. The dumplings were especially outstanding. For main courses, pork tenderloin and lamb were chosen. Once again, excellent. The sauce accompanying the pork very tasty. Portions were just the right size.
To note: with each main course comes a suggested wine pairing, which we followed for our orders. Great selections!

All in all, a wonderful, relaxing dining experience on our special night.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
SweetOttawa, Owner at Main Street Cellar, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear JAB11-11

Thank you for the review and for trying us out. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the dining experience at Main Street Cellar and that you enjoyed the service as well. We strive for a complete package at MSC and I am glad we met the mark for your experience. I hope to welcome you back again! Thank you again!

Ottawa, Canada
“Great food, very attentive staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We live in the area and this was one of those " we have to check it out" restaurants that we have been dragging our feet on going for no other reason but just not having the time.

This is a great little joint located in an older home. We were greater by a very pleasant and helpful staff and were offered the choice of a table in the dining room, bar or patio. I would consider this a somewhat upscale place and it is very comfortable and has great ambiance.

We ordered a la carte and from the daily menu. Soup, appetizer and mains were all excellent. There is a decent wine list but we were expecting a larger selection. That being said, the selection was very good. Overall I would recommend this restaurant.

I have one comment to make to the couple who decided to bring their pre-school children (including a very loud and obnoxious 3 yr old girl). Thanks for ruining what began as a nice evening out and holding a whole restaurant hostage by allowing your little " princess" to set the atmosphere of the dining room with her antics. If it were a loud and obnoxious adult they would be politely asked to quiet down or leave but because it's a "precious " little child the management can't afford the bad publicity of asking you to take charge of your kid or leave. Get a sitter next time. BTW. I have children too.

Dear Dakatzass

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed everything you experienced at Main Street Cellar - except your fellow dining companions. Hmmm. I am very sorry that your evening was ruined by people who were not able to control their children. We really never sort have this problem, as quite frankly we are not really toddler friendly as you can tell. We have no booster seats, no change tables in the bathroom and no children's menu. However, I am sorry you happened upon this anomaly for us. I will speak with staff so we can try and prevent this from happening again. It can certainly be a sensitive subject!I hope to welcome you back again - with the quiet, comfortable atmosphere we strive for.
Ottawa, Canada
“Piquant Sparkling Food - not Aura”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Food there is really good and different. Portions a small and rich. You cannot overeat there. The atmosphere there is not of same quality as food. We had a feeling of a cheap place: smell, quality of furniture inside and on the patio, but good and tasty food. The servant was too snobby and when we came without reservation his body language told us that we were not welcome there. Another servant lady offered couple near us a bug spray against ants :) So sweet.
The place is not cheap. Not a full set of entries was $108 for couple and they asking for 18% by default.
Some interesting experience with food but not a place to go second+ times or date.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SweetOttawa, Owner at Main Street Cellar, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Max R
Thank you for the review. However, with all do respect, while I appreciate how easy it is to write this style of review given your anonymity, I am disappointed that your review has pushed us down in the ranking as your review is full of inaccuracies. First I will state that I am unsure why you state we default our gratuities to 18%. This is untrue. If paying by credit card, you, the patron enters the tip amount - not us. Secondly you state that "Not a full set of entries was $108 for couple", given our most expensive entree is $32 X 2=$64 I am unclear where you were eating? That is a $44 inaccuracy. My servers (not servants as you put it) are very respectful of our all our guests, with or without reservations. I will not remark on your comments about smell or "cheap" furniture, as I believe others will read your review and my response to you and make their own judgement call.
Regards
Ottawa, Canada
“Top class dining out of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife tried 3 appetizers and all were excellent, my pate tasted excellent, but a larger portion that did not appear to have been shaved off something would have been better. The veal medallions were cooked just right, and the imaginative slaw and chutney served with them were great. For summer the dishes had a sweet fruity tone that was a change from the too spicy, too herby dishes that are so common. This theme was carried through things like the cantaloupe butter, the mango chutney with the pate and the strawberry,guava dressing on the slaw. Main courses run at about $30 but are comparablein flair and quality of any downtown restaurant in Ottawa, the wine and beer selections are excellent, but a little limited.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear jwforden
Thanks for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the summer inspired dishes. I have also passed your comments about the pate to our Chef as he makes it in house. Also, we do have entrees in the $21-30 range, so we strive to meet everyone's price point and I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience. Thanks you again for taking the time to review us - hope to see you again soon!

South Pole
“Very good, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The atmosphere and service at the Cellar are very good. The food is also good, but not stellar. The charcuterie platter has a way to go to compete with rivals; the entree we had was acceptable but not the kind of thing that I makes for a first-class dining experience. I think the Cellar has potential so I will return, but I will be looking for better. (Additionally, don't come here if you are looking for late night eating. This is Manotick!)

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear odot
Thanks for your review. While I am happy you seemed to enjoy most aspects of your dinner, I am sorry you felt somewhat disappointed with others. As far as our cheese and charcuterie, we strive for fun interesting selections, but I guess we missed the mark on your visit. I am not sure what you were hoping for as far as a first class dining experience as we try to give our customers, fresh, prepared to order cuisine, with friendly staff in a casual atmosphere, for fair prices. A place to go for a special occasion, or just for a nice cheese plate. I do hope you will come and try us again and that we will deserve a Great from you, not just good. Thanks for the review!