“Who knew” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Who knew”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This charming old house could provide one of the best steaks ever. Three out of 4 at the table had steak eache requested a different wellness - all were done perfectly and served at the same time.
The bacon wrapped dates are wonderful. I shall go again soon.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SweetOttawa, Owner at Main Street Cellar, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Ruth B

Thanks for the review. We must admit that we are getting a reputation........for our steaks that is. So glad that your table tried and enjoyed them. Also, I am pleased you like the bacon wrapped dates as this is a new winter menu item and we encourage feed back on our new items. I thank you again for the kind review and hope to see you again soon enjoying another steak!!

Ottawa, Canada
“Expectations missed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had heard good things about the Wine Cellar and when a Groupon came up we decided that was our excuse to make the drive to Manotick to see for ourselves. The service was a bit slow to start but it was very busy it just took awhile to get a glass of wine. The selections of wine by the glass were pretty limited for a place using Wine Cellar in their name and half litres non-existent which we found disappointing. We started with the mushroom, port, and brie flatbread which was quite tasty and turned out to be the highlight of the meal. For the mains we tried the Beef Tenderlion and Mumbai Chicken. The beef was well cooked and enjoyable, the chicken disappointing, it appeared to just be a chicken breast with paprika and was rather bland. I think for any higher end restaurant the diner is looking for something to wow them and we just weren't wowed by anything in particular.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
SweetOttawa, Owner at Main Street Cellar, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear opuscat

Thank you for writing your review. We always read these so that we can improve. As we all know we can never stop learning or improving. I agree we do have a small wine list by the glass, we do this as it allows us to rotate the wine menu often offering many different wines weekly. I apologize that you were disappointed with the half carafes not being an option. To be truthful, we are not asked for them often, also as we have a "Take Home The Rest" policy, so some people buy a bottle then we re-cork it and they take home the remainder. As far as the Mumbi chicken, I have asked our chef to look into it. Yes, you are correct there is paprika in it, but he also uses cayenne, coriander, cinnamon, cumin, cloves, ginger and garlic, so I am surprised you found it bland. We will ensure our recipe is correct and the true flavours come out. I do hope you might try us again, and maybe this time we can wow you!

Thanks you again for comments.
ottawa
“Loved it , loved it, loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

5 of use went for dinner on January 27. BYOW evening. All and I mean all the food was delicious, greeting, impeccable, service impeccable, atmosphere impeccable. Loved the bacon wrapped dates, loved the striploin, When we left, we thanks the kitchen staff (I always like to see their reaction when I take peek in the kitchen to tell them how much loved the food :) I will most definitely go back an experience the summer menu , thank !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SweetOttawa, Owner at Main Street Cellar, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Carlo - Celine

WOW!

What a nice review for us to read! Thank you far letting us know we hit the mark on your visit. We strive for everything you mentioned and we will take the kudos on behalf of our chef and servers!

Thanks and we look forward to you trying out the summer menu!

Kim
“Jury's out on this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I had dinner there last night. The food was good, I won't argue that. The wine was excellent. Our Server (Deedee) was excellent even though it was only her second day. She clearly knew her wine, and after speaking with her at the end, turns out she does have sommelier training. Where I'm not sure is the decor and atmosphere. It was cold in the restaurant. And it appeared a bit shabby and unfinished. we could see into the back of a lot of the house, which didn't present well. The fireplace they have upstairs appears to be only decorative, as it was not giving out any heat. And we were beside a very loud table of four that was very obtrusive for us. I'll try it again when it's not -20 outside, maybe it will be better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Yvonne H

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am glad that you enjoyed most aspects of your visit with us (food and service) and that DeeDee did well on her second day. I am sorry to hear however that you were not fond of the decor restaurant.

As you can imagine, the heating if a circa 1886 building can be trying at times. We did install the fireplace to be both decorative and give off some heat. I apologize as sometimes it is difficult to heat to everyone's liking in -20 degree January evenings. I will look into a solution for this...perhaps another heater.

As far as the rest of the restaurant, I can only assume you were looking into staff areas - that to be truthful have yet to be fully renovated. All areas where the public is to be have been renovated, restored and rejuvenated. The staff areas are being done over time.

I thank you for your review and hope you will come and try out the courtyard in the summer.
North Gower
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Been there several times and the food is always excellent, the service is attentive but not overwhelming. The atmosphere is good. I plan to return many more times.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SweetOttawa, Owner at Main Street Cellar, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Charles G
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We strive for consistent, fresh and well prepared food and attentive, friendly service. So I am pleased we have met the mark for you. I thank you for your support and your thought to visit us again! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards