“Disappointing treatment” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Ottawa, Canada
“Disappointing treatment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have been to this restaurant quite a number of times and enjoy the country atmosphere it provides. However, on my last visit I was very disappointed with the service. I went there to enjoy a relaxing breakfast with a friend. After we finished our breakfasts we asked the waitress for more coffee. She reluctantly agreed, but came back shortly after to tell us that if we wanted more coffee we'd have to move to another table since the one we were occupying has been reserved and the guests is expected in 5 minutes. We agreed to move, however, after another 15 minutes the expected guests had stilled not arrived. We were just finishing up our coffees when the waitress approached us again to tell us that we'll have to leave since this table has also been reserved and they want to move the tables together for a larger group. Many other tables were empty at that point with no 'reserved' signs on them.

I would expect that, if I arrive at a restaurant without a reservation, that I be told upfront that I am welcome to eat there, but that I can only stay a specific amount of time because of expected guests with reservations. It is only common courtesy. I did not appreciate the treatment or the unwelcoming looks that we received during our visit.

I will not be back.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ottawa, Canada
“Worst service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I have been going to this restaurant for years and have never been treated this badly in any restaurant. We arrived for breakfast without a reservation and were told that they do have a table for us. After eating our breakfast we ordered more coffee. They told us that if we want more coffee we have to move to another table because the one we had was reserved. We moved tables and got our coffee. I had just finished my coffee when the waitress approached us and asked us to leave. Our original table was still empty. I told the waitress that you don't tell customers that you do have a table for them and then later tell them to leave. We were there for less than 2 hours when we were asked to leave. This is not the way to treat customers and I will never go back or recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Juneau, Alaska
“Good Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We were visiting friends for the holidays and got up one morning to a power outage. We all got dressed and drove around till we found a restaurant that was open and had power. Heart and Soul was our choice.

When we got there, it was packed and there was a line - no one in the neighboring area had electricity. We eventually got seated, but standing in line was not bad as everyone was friendly and chatty.

There were four of us and we were seated at a table. It was a bit cramped, but it was warm and dry and the food smelled great. Three of us had coffee and one person had an espresso. Our waitress was a bit frantic, but she settled down after a bit. She even apologized for her initial rude attitude.

Everyone ordered breakfast - but no two orders were the same. The food arrived after a few rounds of coffee. And all of the food was consumed down to the last piece of bread. So I would say that it was a tasty meal. We went away full and ready to face the day.

• Visited December 2010