“Condecending Service and a GM who will blame you!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West

You added Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West to your Saves list
Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1376 Carling Avenue | Carling and Kirkwood, Ottawa, Ontario K1Z 7L5, Canada   |
Ranked #49 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Condecending Service and a GM who will blame you!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I tend to support Wyndham properties - in the US this includes Travelodge, but little did I know this was NOT the case in Canada. Regardless, the location was pretty good so I probably would have stayed here even if I had known.

That stated, what happened on my arrival would prevent me from EVER staying here again or from recommending it to anyone. First, they charged me before I arrived - and they charged me SIX times claiming that I had reserved SIX rooms for that evening. Sure - that seems logical right, that I would reserve six seperate rooms utilizing six different transactions on the same credit card as opposed to simply buying six rooms all at once on that card.

Okay, so taking the above into mind, even if this did happen (which it did not according to my e-mail records and reservation records made through Wyndham Rewards....y'know, the Wyndham the are supposedly not part of in Canada) one would obviously assume this was a computer glitch - right? NOPE! Instead they charged my card and then told me I was wrong and that I'd have to pay a roaming charge on my cellular phone to fix it.

So I call, the lady on the phone was competent (the same cannot be said for the people at the hotel) and tells me they'd "investigate" but I should talk to the Manager on Monday morning - two days later and the day we would be checking out.

While the stay was uneventful (even accounting for the antiquated equipment in the 90 degree Farenheit gym) flash forward to Monday when the Manager, Daniel Greer, a condescending 30-something in a suit who did not appear capable of a smile or any form of humor, literally told me I was "wrong" and that I "had made six reservations" finally showed up after being called by the front desk staff fifteen minutes prior....

Awful from beginning to end - even if they did "fix" MY mistake.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Michael U,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us. I apologize in regards to concerns about the exercise room. Thank-you for letting us know and I will have the equipment and air conditioning unit verified that they are in working order. I am sorry that you feel I did not address your concerns in a courteous and efficient manner. I had believed when we concluded our conversation and I had assured you the additional charges would be removed by the end of that day that the matter has been successfully resolved. Please contact me toll-free at 1-800-267-4166 if you would like to discuss your concerns further. I do hope that you will give the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel & Conference Centre another chance in the future to prove the level of service we pride ourselves.

Daniel Greer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Mtl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We were at this hotel Mar 4-6, 2012. We were really impressed with impeccable service at the pool, and also especially amazed at the service when at night some children were playing outside our door in the corridors and we called to see if there was anything that could be done, and were told a security guard would be passing by in 10mins. A little later there was silence enough not to disturb our sleep (as we had read in previous reviews that it was a very noisy place, we were worried when this was the only available hotel on our last minute booking.)

This is not a luxury hotel, but it is a perfectly good hotel, and we enjoyed our stay immensely and had not problems whatsoever. (Just make sure you have your donot disturb sign out as maids come by quite early in the mornings.)

The salt-water in the pool makes hair quite hay-like and the kids' skin was itchy dry, so bring along aloe/oil and make sure hair is washed/rinsed out well.

Room Tip: We were downstairs, we didn't really check to compare as that was the only floor available.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed there for the "water park" feature. It's all right considering the indoor wave pool and slide but it's time for a retro-fit. The pool area needs a good cleaning and I don't mean just add more clorine. Srub the sides of the pool and kids pool with a brush, the brown water marks need to go. I don't let my bath get this dirty so I expect the same from a public swimming pool. I would recommend a salt water pool because the high amount of clorine made all ours eyes burn.

As for the room, well the bed was colapsed from the years of use. I did tell the front desk while checking out and nothing was said so I suspect that's a common complaint. While leaving that morning there was three tractor trailers delivering new beds.

The first floor seems to be in better shape then the second floor. The second floor looks like a slum budget appartment building in need or repair and maintenance.

No free breakfast, get with the times !

Bottom line, with some serious upgrade this good be a very exciting and fun place to enjoy for a view days with the kids. Some serious money to be made with that feature.

Would I go back, not until it's cleaned up.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear hugues s,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not exceed expectations during your recent stay with us. I apologize for the condition of the mattresses in your room. As you mentioned, we are in the process of replacing the mattress sets throughout the hotel. This project will be completed by the end of March. We are also working on upgrading various other items throughout the hotel in the next few months. Your comments in regards to the water park are appreciated and I will investigate further. Again, I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. It is only through feedback that we can work on improving our service and operations. I do hope that you will give the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel & Conference Centre another chance in the future to prove the level of service we pride ourselves. If there is anything I can do for you please contact me toll-free at 1-800-267-4166.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

This hotel was smelly. The non smoking room must have been a smoking room the previous night. I, my kids and all of our stuff stunk when we left. The hotel is in disrepair and we slept on the blankets, not under them.

Parking there, we were worried that our car would be broken into because there are condemned houses on the same street as the hotel as well as many in horrible disrepair.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear TeamWardo,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not exceed expectations during your recent stay with us. I apologize that the room you were in may have been smoked in prior to your arrival. The hotel is 100% non-smoking and should someone decide not to follow that rule, we do have machine to remove the odour from the air as much as possible. I am also sorry that you did not have a good sleep and would like to let you know that we have all-new mattresses and box springs purchased and we are just waiting on delivery. We are also working on the selection and purchasing of new bedding for the hotel as well. Again, I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. It is only through feedback that we can work on improving our service and operations. I do hope that you will give the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel & Conference Centre another chance in the future to prove the level of service we pride ourselves. If there is anything I can do for you please contact me toll-free at 1-800-267-4166.

Pembroke, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Honest to god I never leave bad reviews but this needs to be said.... we stayed here with out 21 month old bc of the pool and slides however it was terrible. First we went to our room where the door was already opened but the key didnt work anyway once we left. than we went to have dinner at the resturant and there was one man working who gave us no menus and we seated ourselves after waiting on him, than we sit down at the table and the glasses my son was playing with were dirty from food, so we moved to another table at that table again the glasses had LIPSTICK marks on them ( OMG ), the highchair my husband grabbed looked like it was last cleaned maybe a year ago bc it was all sticky, the waiter finally came but we got up and left and went to the Monkey Joes Across the street for dinner. Finally got back to the hotel to use the pool but the room we paid more money for to overlook the pool and to have doors leading to the pool, were not actual doors you could use to go into the pool area??? extra money paid just to look at other ppl swimming?? the pool was freezing cold, so cold my son could not go in the kiddy waiting pool. The rooms were absolutly gross and we didnt notice at first because the lighting was very bad and the lamps all didnt work. The rooms were extremely small, even with the queen / couch option, everything was just pushed closer together. You could hear everything from the hall and other rooms not to mention our room had a door leading to the other room, lol. We travel often and this was by far the worst Ive ever seen, we have even been to overseas areas nicer. After waking up in the morning we noticed the blankets had been moved away from the box spring and to our surprise the mattress and box spring were completely stained beyound repair. Completely freaking gross and Ive never seen anything like it. The front desk staff never answered the phone when we called down 4 times so my husband went down and complained, they told him they were ordering new beds next month but gave us the 1 night stay for like $65. We also did eat the free breakfest in the morning bc my son was starving so we decided to make sure everything at our table was clean and eat and leave but that was a bad idea..... the food was to say the least BAD..... the eggs were a light yellow colour with no taste, cereal honestly was old and the toast was hard..... no bacon and the sauasges you could tell were old and reheated from the day before. my husband had waffles and asked the waitress why the food was old, hard, stale and she said bc it was sitting since this morning??? ya ok, needless to say we just simply left. DO NOT STAY HERE PLEASE! i dont mind cheap 1 night stays but this is not worth any money unless u NEED to stay somehwere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Well after reading the reviews I was not looking forward to our 2 nights here. We booked because of a basketball tournament so didn't have a choice of where to stay.
As has been said the bed was awful, mattress really soft and pillows thin and lumpy. The room decor and fittings were very tired especially in the bathroom - not a place you wanted to linger!
We were assured at check-in that we were in a quiet part of the hotel - however our room was right opposite the stairwell, elevator and drinks/ice machine so constant noise and door slamming. There were big groups of kids running up and down the hallways late at night making a lot of noise.
I didn't go in the pool so can't comment. My kids did go and their only comment was the water was cold and the slide was slow!
One good thing was our room although tired was clean.
So as the title says I would not ever go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear tallperson,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not exceed expectations during your recent stay with us. I apologize for the condition of the mattresses in your room. We have all-new mattresses and box springs purchased and we are just waiting on delivery. We are also currently working on some updates for our bathrooms. I also apologize for the concerns with noise during your stay. I am pleased to hear that you found the room clean as our level of cleanliness is normally something we pride ourselves on. I will look into the concerns in regards to the waterpark you mentioned. Again, I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. It is only through feedback that we can work on improving our service and operations. I do hope that you will give the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel & Conference Centre another chance in the future to prove the level of service we pride ourselves. If there is anything I can do for you please contact me toll-free at 1-800-267-4166.

Lindsay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

On the one hand, a wave pool and water slide free with your room? Awesome. Peeling paint and ratty carpet in the stairwells? Not so awesome. It's great for families with younger kids. Rooms are nothing special, but are clean and comfortable, if dated. Be sure to call to find out when the water park is open--hours during the week can be inconvenient.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West? Share your experiences!