You added Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West to your Saves list
Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1376 Carling Avenue | Carling and Kirkwood, Ottawa, Ontario K1Z 7L5, Canada   |
Ranked #46 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday May 28th, 2011. My husband had booked the room months in advance and paid for an upgrade. The room we booked was described as “a spacious King Bed/NS/Fridge/Free High Speed Wireless/Sofa/Sitting Area/Working Desk with a Maximum Occupancy of 4 people”. What we got instead was a tiny dank and dark room with neither a sofa nor any type of seating area. (Room #134) In fact the room was so small that if one person was standing up the other person would physically have to either walk or crawl over the bed to get to the other side of the room. We attended the front counter twice in an effort to have our room switch to the appropriate category that we had paid for but we were met with extremely unhelpful, uncaring and rude staff. Normally I would have just pack up and found another hotel but it was the “Ottawa Race Weekend” and all the other hotels were fully booked. The staff was clearly aware of this and knew that we would have to put up with anything they gave us.
The only window in the room was a set of French Doors were dead bolted shut and would not open. Our view was of a pile of garbage bags and broken computers pieces that had been piled up on the ground outside our French door. There was an overwhelming stench of chlorine in the room and I woke up with a spitting headache the next morning. Finally the mattress was terrible. It was incredibly soft and you could actually see the sagging in the middle. Although I can see that the water park would be good for children all other aspects of this hotel are so far below standard I would not recommend it to anyone. Further this hotel blatantly lies in their room descriptors.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
RDM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. It is only through feedback that we can work on improving our service and operations. I am sorry that your experience at the Travelodge was not as positive as it could have been due to various concerns. I apologize for the concerns with the room you reserved. I am looking into the method your reservation was made and where the room information came from as it seems the description you received was incorrect. I have gone over the concerns with our staff to ensure that when concerns are brought to their attention, they are addressed properly. Again, I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. Please contact me toll-free at 1-800-267-4166 if you would like to discuss the matter further. I hope to speak with you soon and also hope that you will give the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel & Conference Centre a chance to prove the level of service we pride ourselves on.

Daniel Greer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Sudbury, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel because of the great reviews for the pool. We had life guards yelling at all the kids. The hotel room a/c did not work room was at 30 degrees.
Had to fight to get a new room. We prepaid our rooms and got billed for our rooms
even after we came home. still fighting to get reinbursement from this hotel.
Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
RDM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Dear Andre1975,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. It is only through feedback that we can work on improving our service and operations. I am sorry that your experience at the Travelodge was not as positive as it could have been due to various concerns. I apologize for the concerns with the water park staff and air conditioning. I have gone over the concerns with our staff and to ensure everything is properly addressed and examined. I would like to discuss the concerns of your being overcharged for your stay. Please contact me toll-free at 1-800-267-4166 and I will personally look after your concerns. Again, I do apologize for the difficulties you encountered during your recent stay. I hope to speak with you soon and also hope that you will give the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel & Conference Centre a chance to prove the level of service we pride ourselves on.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a Saturday night. We found the room (including the bathroom) clean and comfortable. The kitchenette area even included plates and cutlery, which most hotels don't offer, and we appreciated that. Taking a nap during the day was a bit difficult because of the excited children

The wavepool and water-slide were fun, but the hot tub had so much chlorine that breathing near the water caused my eyes to burn. Personally, knowing how much bacteria can fester in hot water, I'd prefer too much chlorine than not enough.

We didn't eat at the restaurant so we can't comment.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
RDM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I was glad to read that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us at the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel and Conference Centre. I appreciate your positive feedback and kind words on our hotel. I have shared your comments with our associates and management team. All of us at the Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me toll free at 1-800-267-4166.

Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

The music in the pool area was very loud and made it difficult to hear the lifegaurds directions.

Pembroke, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We had a wonderful time while staying at the hotel. My sons loved the wave pool and spent quite a bit of time in it. The restaurant was a great value for the money and the restaurant staff was wonderful- very friendly! We had 2 different rooms while there (due to me only booking one night online). Both rooms were great but we especially liked the room with the kingsize bed and pull out couch as it was particularly roomy. the housekeeping staff was also very friendly. The location was perfect- equally close to shopping centres. We didn't take our pets with us but I do know that this hotel allows pets. Thank you for the wonderful time!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
RDM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I was glad to read that you and your family so enjoyed your stay with us at the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel and Conference Centre. I appreciate your positive feedback and kind words on our staff. I will ensure they are shared with our associates and management team. All of us at the Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me toll free at 1-800-267-4166.

York Region, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed here for one night, as we had a quick trip into Ottawa. The hotel was very busy as it was the first weekend of March Break. My expectations were low based on the reviews I had read, but really it wasn't too bad. We got checked in early, the room was clean, and for a hotel full of Kids for March break, it was pretty quiet and I had a good nights sleep. We were away from the pool area and I'm sure that helped with the noise factor. I did find that parking was a bit far from the door, and half the lot was underwater due to the spring thaw, but not a huge factor. The hotel does exit onto a one way street, so if you want to go the other way you have to make a u-turn in the mall down the street. This isn't the fanciest hotel, but it will do for a night or two. Oh yeah, they also let me bring my dog in, which was why we stayed there in the first place. My dog is pretty awesome.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I was glad to read that you decided to visit us and pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel and Conference Centre. I appreciate your positive feedback and I always make it a practice to share all our guest's comments with our associates and management team so that our entire team may continue to improve our guests' experiences. All of us at the Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me toll free at 1-800-267-4166.

Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Booked this hotel for a 'staycation' for March Break. Stayed two nights and would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Arrived on Sunday March 13th for a two night stay, to find the wireless in my room was not working. Informed the front desk and after a bit of discussion, and having to ask to speak to someone 'higher up' was moved to another room. Our new room was filthy. Urine on the bottom of the toilet, walls in room and bathroom were dirty, carpet unclean, and were only provided towels for one person. Had booked this spot specifically for the 'water park'. The pictures are very deceiving. Made a trip to the pool on the night of our arrival and had hoped that given all the reviews I'd read over pool temperature, it would have been rectified and warmer. Not the case. Pool was cold and children are not allowed in the hot tub (not even their feet). Spoke to the lifeguard about the pool temperature and was told the temp was 80 degrees and the air temp in the room is 83. He went on to say something about the balance between the pool and air temp, the hotel could not adjust the pool heat. At one point, there was only ONE lifeguard in the pool area while the others were in the lifeguard room. One of the 'lifeguards' was wearing a COAT, sweatpants and running shoes. I wondered how exactly he would handle an emergency in the wave pool he was supervising with so much heavy clothing on. Furthermore, if the lifeguard could work comfortably in a coat and long pants, this should tell you something about the temperature of the pool area. Most of the children around my son and I had blue lips and were shivering. Unfortunate because I am nearly certain the pool would be the big draw there for March Break.
The walls are paper thin. Doors are constantly slamming shut...maybe the hotel could put something between the door and frame so it doesn't sound like a car crash everytime someone enters or exits a room? Had a hard time getting to sleep with people running up and down the hallways half the night.
There is no room service which I half expected given the hotel has a restaurant. The only friendly staff person I encountered during my stay was the woman who switched our room at the front desk.
We will definitely not be recommending this hotel to out of town guests, nor would we return. Better off going to a higher end hotel that has a pool. Not worth it to use this location for basically, a waterslide/wave pool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
RDM-Travelodge, Manager at Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. It is only through feedback that we can work on improving our service and operations. I am sorry that your experience at the Travelodge was not as positive as it could have been due to various concerns. I apologize for the condition of your room and the concerns with the water park. I have gone over the concerns with our staff and to ensure everything is properly addressed and examined.
Again, I do apologize for the difficulties you encountered during your recent stay and I would like to discuss the matter further with you. Please contact me at 613-722-7601, extension 4216 at your earliest convenience. I hope to speak with you soon and also hope that you will give the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel & Conference Centre a chance to prove the level of service we pride ourselves on.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West? Share your experiences!