“It was just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Cambridge
“It was just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We found this hotel ok for one night. The price was decent but I don't think that I would stay there again. The area was fine and the it was comfortable but quite dated. The continental breakfast was very basic, with cereal, toast, english muffins etc, this could certainly be improved on.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Niagara Falls, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

While this hotel provided a clean and reasonably comfortable place to sleep it was little annoying things that didn't wow me. Breakfast was not all that special (though the staff were nice) so it's a good thing McDonald's was close by for morning coffee. We had four people booked in our room but every day received only 3 sets of towels......had to sign a set out four times.....As well they required a MASSIVE credit card pre-auth ($1400 for the two rooms) and thankfully I had enough room on my credit card.....I've stayed at nicer hotels with no pre-auth required - while understandable it was still annoying. Overall, it was okay - served its purpose - but that's it.

Niagara Falls
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights, for a family vacation. We had our two sons, aged 6 and 9, and did the museum tour in our nation's capital. Booked through Expedia and got a decent rate.

The hotel itself was OK. It could have used a good spring cleaning, inside and out, but wasn't really dirty. The front desk staff, the cleaning staff and the people in the breakfast room were all very pleasant and friendly. The room was adequate for the four of us, and was comfortable, if a little dated. It could have used a refresh, but nothing that impacted our stay. The beds were OK, the pillows were terrible. Fortunately we had brought some of own for the kids in the car. The room could have used an extra chair or two, as there was only one, at the desk. The elevators were extremely slow, and stopped on every floor, until my 6-year-old figured out if he just held the button for our floor, we zipped right to it.

The parking was free, as was the internet, and it was pretty fast, better than most. There was a free breakfast, coffee/tea, three kinds of cereal, toast, and mini muffins. Adequate, but nothing to write home about.

My only real sticking point was that we were charged $10 per night, per child, for a total of $80 (+ tax) for our stay. I'm not really sure what we got for that extra money. We received no extra towels, there were only two plastic cups in the bathroom (we went to Walmart and bought our own). The only thing I could see we got, was for the "free" breakfast, and my kids didn't eat anywhere near $10 worth for the whole stay. I thought this surcharge was a rip-off, and for this reason I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people travelling with kids, and I think if I was travelling with just my wife, I might try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't stay here with kids.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed here on many occasions when visiting Ottawa.
The hotel is not central but has excellent access to the 416 and hwy 417 . Access to downtown is best by using the Ottawa River Parkwsay which brings you to parliament hill.

I found it to be better than most Days inns possible because it was originally a Luxor Inn.

There is a pleasant Irish type restaurant attached , not managed by the hotel , a cosy and comfy place to meet friends for a drink or meals.

I usually ask for the north view end units as there are no neighbours attached.

One negative is one of the elevators has been out of service for my past few visits ..Hoever does not affect guests much

Room Tip: North view end units
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Lee, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

clean nice room.
free parking.
close to town.
we had a good experience, and hope to visit again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
North Bay, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

I've stayed in a few hotels in my time... some for business, some for pleasure. This was a business trip, and this hotel did not live up to expectations. Overall, it's average, with nothing really special about it.

There is a Loblaws across the street, and some smaller restaurants in the area, but nothing really close by that is sit-down. The restaurant connected to the hotel is an Irish pub style chain restaurant, and the food is quite good. However, they don't take debit, and I could not charge my meal to my room. I had corporate approval to do so, but judging by the wait staff's response, it's not something they do. Who advertises their hotel as being attached to a restaurant if you can't charge the meal to your room? Also, in this day and age, not taking debit so you force your customers to pay a fee at the ATM terminal in the lobby is bad business... but that is what this establishment expects.

The rooms were average, but very clean. TV was an old style CRT, needs updating. The bathrooms weren't bad, again very clean, but very cramped as another reviewer said. The bed and pillows are very comfortable. The heater/air conditioner in the room is old style controlled at the source, and the fan is quite loud - which is fine with me becuase I enjoy white noise when sleeping. This may bother some, though. There's an in-room bar refridgerator, the tall type, which was actually set to cold when I entered the room. There's no closet in the room but for an open area with hangers - not really good for hanging up clothes as it's very "out in the open".

The internet in this facility is awful. I connected to the wireless the first three nights, but switched over to the ethernet connection on my final night - which was a marginal improvement. If you prefer wireless, though, prepare for dropouts and slow speeds the majority of the time.

I didn't partake in the continental breakfast or use the weight room, so I cannot comment on those.

Overall, it's an average hotel (other than above average cleanliness). Given how average it is, the cost for a room (king size) is somewhat over priced. There's a Holiday Inn Express and Suites just across the street that is about $30 - $40 more per night, but if you're a business traveler it might be worth your while to have the company shell out some extra bucks for a better room... especially if the internet is improved!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

The hotel is a little dated but seems to be very popular with people like me, who were there on business and needed a hotel in the west end. Hotel is clean and my room was well maintained. Had an excellent pillow top mattress with good quality pillows, good sized bar fridge for personal use in room and Nabob coffee with the supplied coffee maker. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash come out a dispenser in bathtub/shower. Drinking containers made of glass, not sealed plastic cups. Very small gym, mostly for aerobic exercises on main floor, but you have to walk past the lobby to get to it. Very basic continental breakfast supplied free in main floor room. Very popular pub, D'Arcy Magees is attached to hotel. I think this place is too far from downtown for tourists, but good for workers. Wireless internet is terrible, however, my room had a LAN cable, which provided okay service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Days Inn Ottawa West? Share your experiences!