“What a great place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ottawa
Swiss Hotel
89 Daly Ave., Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6E6, Canada (Formerly Gasthaus Switzerland Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Deal Romantic Escape
Ranked #10 of 67 hotels in Ottawa
ottawa
“What a great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

Gasthaus Switzerland Inn is a great place to stay. The location is perfect, just a few minutes walk to the market. If you like a really good breakfast, friendly poeple and a great hospitality, this is the place to go. No question.....this is a place to recommend!

Pat

Stayed June 2007

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

Gasthaus Switzerland Inn is a wonderful B&B in downtown Ottawa. The host’s utmost dedication to their business is felt through their warm treatment of their guests – we felt right at home! Being in Ottawa for the first time, Sabina, one of the owners, was gracious to direct us to all of the interesting places to go in the city and with the superb location of the B&B, everywhere was just a short walk! Furthermore, our room was clean and comfortable and the delicious breakfast by the large stone fireplace in their beautiful new dining room gave us a great start to our day.

Ottawa is a great city and Gasthaus Switzerland is a great place – we are coming back soon!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

I spent a few days at the Gasthaus after spending 5 weeks in Quebec (some intensive French immersion training). To sum up my stay - it was amazing. I normally don't review hotels in my home country but I felt this one was a step above the rest so I should give it the credit it deserves. My first night was brief, but very, very comfortable. The beds were amazing. I think it may be the Swiss pillows and mattress, whatever it was, I slept like I had never slept before. This was quite nice considering I had just traveled 10 hours on a train.

I have stayed at quite a few Inn's when I traveled through Europe in 2004 and loved most of them. I felt the exact same atmosphere at the Gasthaus. Bright and early in the morning after I had awakened I went downstairs to see a nicely laid out breakfast, which included juices, breads, cheeses and most importantly - Muesli. I probably ate 5 or 6 bowls on my first day it was so good, and that is probably an understatement. Nonetheless Sabina (your housekeeper) just kept feeding it to me! I felt like I was at home, away from home.

There is plenty of space to hang out while you're there. There is a computer (a nice one, not some crappy passed down thing) with free internet, and access was always available. I know they have free Wi-Fi as well if you bring your laptop (nice for the rooms). I spent most of my time on the patio (see pictures) and in the dining room. It was a real pleasurable experience because I was able to conversate with so many different people and they were all so happy.

The location was perfect, I was only one or two blocks at max away from any major source of entertainment. There are malls, grocery stores, and most importantly - the market nearby. I never ran out of things to do to put it bluntly. If you're coming to Ottawa for tourist reasons (as I did) the Parliament buildings are a quick, pleasurable walk away.

It's rare where you find yourself in a near-perfect situation. I know now that when I do return to Ottawa I will not even consider another place to stay. Thank you Sabina, Josef and Dom!

Good luck on your travels everybody! Hope this helps.

• Liked — very clean, modern and up to date.
  • Disliked — what i liked least..? maybe that i couldnt stay any longer.
  • Tips/Secrets — nil
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
Peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

I have stayed at the Gasthaus many times and have recommended it to friends and colleagues. The service is exceptionally friendly and courteous. It is like staying at a European country inn in the heart of a city. The breakfasts are memorable and the facilities for small conferences or gatherings are impressive. It is family- run, clean, well-appointed, and modestly priced. Friends who have stayed at larger hotels in the city, visiting on business or for pleasure, especially in winter, have invariably expressed their appreciation for the recommendation.

• Liked — friendliness, comfort and value
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

We spent one night at the Gasthaus Switzerland Inn in Ottawa.

We found our stay here to be ok, but there were some problems. Firstly, our room on the first floor was extremely pokey and barely accomodated the two of us and all our luggage. Otherwise the room was generally comfortable and clean.

We also had some problems with checking in (check in is at 3pm). The inn is locked by a security door and you buzz reception, but nobody seems to be there before 3pm. Apart from the inconvenience of waiting outside with all our luggage for 15 mins until someone arrived at reception the service was ok.

The location is good and only a walking distance from downtown Ottawa and a variety of pubs, bars and restaurants, as well as all the historical buildings. They also offer free internet access.

Word of warning - this B&B is quite close to the university and we stayed there on a Friday night - so we were kept up most of the night by drunk uni students ... we can hardly blame this on the B&B though!!

Unfortunately we cant comment on the breakfast - we had an early checkout and they didnt start serving until 7am.

Overall this was an average stay, but seeing as we only stayed one night we would be willing to give it another chance.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
vancouver island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

We Stayed at this INN for 3 nights and found it to be lovely and very clean with first class bedding. It is perfectly located downtown Ottawa and withing walking distance to most tourist sites The Swiss host couple is very friendly and prepares an excellent breakfast (with real Swiss Muesli) and is overall very helpful with any questions about restaurants, museums, taxi, etc.

Stayed October 2006
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2006

I stayed in this hotel after a friend advises. I arrived at 8:00 PM and left the next day. I cannot recall a worse treatment in any other hotel that I have stayed in my life. The receptionist was very unwelcoming in the first day. She did not explain where to park the car and she did not tell me that they have there own parking.
She yelled at me the next day because I rang the bell at 7:00 AM, which is half hour before the check out time. I did ring the bell due to an urgent matter to check out earlier.
It is located near downtown, but not nice area.
I do not advice you to stay if you are there for business, unless you do not care about services.

• Liked — None
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Swiss Hotel? Share your experiences!