“Amazing Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ottawa
You added Swiss Hotel to your Saves list
89 Daly Ave., Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6E6, Canada (Formerly Gasthaus Switzerland Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Deal Romantic Escape
Ranked #7 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at the Swiss Hotel for two weeks at the end of March and had the most wonderful experience. My room (standard double) was clean and cozy, and I looked forward to coming back to the hotel after a long day at work. The bed was incredibly comfortable, with perfect pillows, mattress and sheets. Decor of the room makes it feel like you are in Europe, which I really loved. Location is perfect. Close to shopping, restaurants, and even public transportation, should you need it. Sabina is the owner and she is wonderful! Great attitude and personality, very intelligent lady, and always aiming to making your stay perfect. I would highly recommend a stay here :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Quaint, small, B&B style hotel. We stayed in room 104, queen standard. Room was cozy but a little cluttered. Three sitting chairs, a desk, and a free standing closet seemed like a bit much for such a small room. Orange walls behind bed, hardwood floors and shag area rug are a warm touch. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. TV is good size and mounted out of the way. Coffee maker in room. Rooms come with Ipod/Iphone dock alarm clock and your own personal iPad which can come in handy. Rooms even have candles to burn. Bathroom was not large but still adequate. Shower stall(no tub) with rainfall shower head with plenty of water pressure. NIce fixtures, rustic tile floor and fire engine red tile in the shower. A/C was very weak but I'm not sure it was turned on yet as we were there during the spring when it was still a bit chilly out, the windows open though. Location is great, or not so great depending on your perspective. Hotel is tucked away in a residential area extremely close to Byward Market, which is good for those who want to be close to many nightlife options. Unfortunately it also means that on weekend nights people may or may not be wandering around till the wee hours of the morning. From our room the noise seemed to be minimal from the outside. Noise from inside the hotel can be a slight problem since it's an older building(creaking floors, noise from rooms above yours). Parking at hotel is limited and fills up fast at $12 a day. Staff couldn't have been nicer, made us feel right at home and since it's a small hotel you get more personalized attention. Overall I was more than satisfied, but some more high maintenance people may have some issues.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I like quiet, small hotels. This one fits my specs. Recently renovated, clean, and in a quiet neighbourhood. Fifteen minutes walk from the Byward Market (a restaurant for every palate) and from the Rideau Centre (for your inner shopper) and to the major city bus interchange. Twenty minutes to Parliament Hill. Our room was small, but just right for our needs. And the windows open, so you can have fresh air (bonus!). You can get breakfast on site (smorgasbord for $15) with eggs or French toast (yum!). And best of all, the room rate is at least $50 per night less than hotels mere blocks away. iPad in the room, free Wi-fi, large-screen computer workstation in the lobby. Space for small-group meetings. The one drawback, for those with bad knees, is no elevator. But think of it as a built-in stair master. GDV

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side will be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Firstly let me say I was really looking forward to this hotel and wanted to love and expect it to knock my socks off but simply didn't.

Tripadvisor come become self fulfilling by a bunch of people with low numbers of reviews under their belts following others advice and then continuing the love gets when in fact the place, experience, etc is in fact just average, so here's my review.

Location - not impressed, a fee tattoo places and got challenged on the front step by a couple of guys while waiting to leave and the streets around seem to be the homeland of drunks and crazies - I used to live in a big cosmopolitan city and I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around here, just didn't feel right.

Check in :- arrived very late at night and did as instructed on the front door, pick up the phone, and got no answer, I then hunted around and on the opposite wall found a door with 'late check in' on a piece of paper. In this I found my key so basically my key was there in an effectively unlocked hotel with no security, anyone could have take my key and walked in, really bad security.

Room - I want their camera ! It makes everything look larger as the room I as in which was supposedly larger than standard was very small and the bathroom was tiny.

Decor of room - when you look closely or move any of the furniture you realize that it is in fact Ikea's finest, nice enough but photographs much better than it actually is, probably not all Ikea but mostly.

Now the three important things for business travellers

- bed, truly excellent and good quality pillows and bedding
- wireless, fast and free
- shower, I really hate these open type ones where half of you is cold whilst showering, they look good but getting sprayed with cold water whilst turning it on and then getting cold while showering really annoys me. Again style over substance.

Decor of public areas reminds me of a 1970's guest house in the UK, small pokey, nasty mirrors and generally faded, they clearly focused on making the rooms look nice which is fine but I expected everywhere to be stunning based on all the rave reviews.

Finish quality - lots of reviews mention cleanliness, I didn't see this as baseboards etc are marked and white walls have lots of scuffing so again style over substance, looks great until you look closely and I did because of the high ratings.

Noise - omg from everywhere, from street but more importantly the hardwood floors they are so proud of meant that I got 4 hrs sleep as whenever the person above me was up then so was I.

Breakfast - I misread the instructions in the room so thought it ended at 10 and when I went down it was all cleared up, my mistake but in a high service place I would have expected to be offered something rather than very nicely being pointed to Cora ........... Which was very good so glad I went.

My plans changed meaning that I could go home that day so got back to hotel by 1 and needed to use the room until 5 so asked about late checkout and was told cleaners left by 3 so was charged a full night to keep the room until 5, again in a service place I would have expected maybe 50% charge, I paid as I just needed to sleep.

This surely cannot be the best hotel in Ottawa, if it is then I pity travellers to Ottawa, use Tripadvisor with caution would be my advice to other travellers.

To management, I say please take this as an honest critique and do what you can to fix these issues and really live up to your currently undeserved ratings. I wavered here between average and poor, think it deserved poor but only because the expectations I had built from TA and your website were not close to being met. I kept it as average as wanted to give you a wake up call rather than damage ratings, hope you appreciate the honest critiques from regular travellers as well as the glowing reports, that is after all what TA is for ...........

Rob

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
svs3, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear OmanRob,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and for taking the time to write us this review.

This neighborhood is beautiful and vibrant and predominantly characterized by student housing due to the Ottawa University being a few blocks away and heritage buildings (like ours!). The city has decided to pool many of its social services downtown, you will be extremely hard-pressed to find any hotel located as close to the downtown core as we are without said locals walking by. We cannot control pedestrian traffic.

Ottawa is a safe city, comparable to downtown Calgary - not quite a "a big cosmopolitan city" yet. Like in every city, there is homelessness, and like in every city, it is not invisible. However, homelessness does not equal violence. Ottawa is considered one of the safest cities in Canada, and this area in particular is home to many elderly people, university students and families (including my own) who choose to live here for the sense of community and walkability in the city. Perhaps your complaints should be redirected to the inequalities produced by capitalism, not our establishment. The tattoo place you are talking about is on Rideau St., we are literally blocks away.

We are a small, European-style hotel with 22 rooms, privately owned, and we depend on our policies so as not to be taken advantage of. Our check-out time is clearly stated as 11 am, and we are very clear about our 48 hour cancellation policy in all of our peripheral literature.

We wouldn't put the pictures online if we didn't feel they were representative of the room, and for every instance that you can see a room on our website we also list the square footage alongside it. Our "Swiss" flair may manifest itself in smaller rooms - but also in beds that certainly did NOT come from IKEA.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us, and thank you for your comments.

Sabina Sauter,
Owner,
Napanee, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a King- sized suite room for one night and had a great stay.. Our room was facing the front of the hotel at ground level. We thought the hotel was very nice , almost feeling as though we were in someone's home. Our room had a king-sized comfortable bed, a gas fireplace and a mirrored sitting area with a desk and iPad. We were wondering what all the mirrors and tiles were for in this sitting area, but then figured out it must have formally been a Jacuzzi tub area, which would have been great. I liked that the hotel was within walking distance to the Byward Market area.
The only negative thing I could say would be that you could clearly hear the conversations of anyone walking by on the street outside our room. I was woken up a few times in the night by loud people walking by on the sidewalk. This of course, is of no fault of the hotel's, but you might want to choose a room away from the sidewalk area, if you want quiet. The owner was very lovely to deal with and had great suggestions on where to dine. Wish we spoke with her about dining earlier!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night's sleep, you may want to request a room that is not on street level, f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Loved my stay at Swiss Hotel! Comfy bed, a room with unexpected touches......hardwood floors, fresh pressed duvet, impeccably clean, curling iron in the modern bathroom, chocolates at bedside, super friendly and accommodating owner.....and an in-room iPad to use comp.! I was not disappointed and will return!

Room Tip: No elevator for elderly.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed in March. We found this to be a very nice, comfy, clean and well situated hotel. While the room was a bit on the small side (superior queen), it was very clean and comfy. The amenities were excellent as well (iPad including), as were the breakfast and the hostess.

Luckily, there was plenty of parking during our stay,but I'd hate to think what would happen in the summer, when it evidently gets busier, or worse, during the bad months of winter when there are but a couple of parking spots on the premises and the streets are covered in darn snow.

Unfortunately, we were cold at night during our stay and had trouble setting the heater on a higher setting for it to warm the room a bit more. It would warm up but not really provide more heat in the room.
There is construction going on nearby, so it got a bit noisy.
Also, we were not huge fans of the green carpet.
iPad cord too short, can only be used at the desk.
Would have appreciated a luggage fold-able bench for a second suitcase, there was but one, and it was in the closed. The other option was the desk chair.
I am not sure what type of queen bed that was, but it was too small for a queen, I ended up not being able to turn for fear that I would wake my fiancé up .
I know this is a European style hotel, but a mini fridge and microwave would have been great.

Don't forget to pre-order breakfast, it's served upon request only, thus you need to book a sport the previous night (by 7PM I think).

A second visit? Definitively for the right price. I would however bring thicker PJs, socks and ask for a second thick blanket.

Room Tip: Go for a superior queen room, even if sleeping by yourself. Or, try a king room or double queens, t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
svs3, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Cocolinu,
Thank you very much for the review and for staying with us. We are sorry that your recent stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations. We do take customer service and comfort to the heart and we do our very best to provide a positive experience for all guests.

I regret that on your first night you used the air conditioner instead of the thermostat on the radiator for the heating system. I assumed that you were comfortable after you came to see me and I explained that the heating system is different from the air conditioning. You indicated in your reservation that you wanted an extra blanket which we provided, plus we always have another one in the closet just in case. The black binder in the room has all the relevant information, but we understand that not everybody will read it.

Please note: We would like to clarify however that when we advertise queen size beds they truly are the standard North American queen-sized beds. For king-sized beds try our Superior King or Romantic Getaway Suite.

Limited onsite parking is available at a rate of $12 on a first come first served basis. In case our lot is full, there are public pay parking lots in the vicinity of our establishment with competitive daily rates $14 to $20. In the front of the hotel is a loading zone where you can park your car for 20 minutes to check in and the receptionist will help you further. Once you are checked in you will get an electronic key for your convenience.

I hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you back here at the Swiss Hotel.

Sabina Sauter
Owner
Swiss Hotel

Been to Swiss Hotel? Share your experiences!