“Wonderful staff and comfortablicious =)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Ottawa

You added The Westin Ottawa to your Saves list
The Westin Ottawa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 9H4, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful staff and comfortablicious =)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The Westin Ottawa is a wonderful hotel, from the first step into their doors until the last. The staff was extremely helpful, friendly and hospitable. We stayed in room 2211; the deluxe room, perfect view of the canal and the Parliament building.

Other than the fact that the room was clean and the beds were comfortable, there are a few things that may needs some change. First off, the beds are too small (size: double) which is indeed hard to share. In addition, WIFI at the hotel is not free... This is a bit of a disappointment since you are paying for such an expensive room and the least they can do is provide free WIFI.

The location of the hotel is on point! Everything is within walking distance, also, the Rideau Center is connected to the hotel which is a plus!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

This was the first time in a while that my family had stayed in a Westin Resort. Although the valet staff were not as friendly as they might should have been (very stuck up), the rest of the staff were friendly and helpful. The lobby was clean, the room was great -- very clean, HD television channels, extremely nice bathroom, comfortable beds, etc. Because we got a nonrefundable rate, it was very competitive, around $225/night. A good price for a good hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear TravisA,

Thank you for your comments. Although I am pleased to read that the rest of our staff were friendly and helpful, I am concerned to read that you did not feel welcomed by our valet staff. I will be following up with our Guest Service Managers to ensure they follow up with the members of our driveway team regarding your experience. I am however very pleased to hear that the other aspects of your stay were to your liking, and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Be well,
John J
Canmore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Stayed here for a few days for a conference last week and overall the hotel was really good. The room was clean and modern, and well maintained by the housekeeping staff each day. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. Service from hotel staff was generally friendly and helpful. The hotel is really well located and easy walking distance to many great restaurants and sights of Ottawa.
The gym and pool facilities are excellent and were not very busy while I was there.
The ground-floor restaurant is very good too - especially for the carnivores!
Would definitely book here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Great hotel, right by the Rideau canal and other attractions. The rooms were spacious, and we visited when they were newly renovated, which was great. The restaurant is sublime, (I would recommend the gnocchi). Our room was very nice and clean and we had a comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I want to explain my review in point form as its easy to read and judge if this hotel will meet your needs:
PROS -
>Location (<5 mins) - Rideau Centre, Ottawa Convention Centre, Subway, Mcdonalds, Food Court, (10 mins) - Parliament, Byward Market
>Friendly really friendly staff. Was greet by telephone as Mr. Smith every time.
>Clean rooms
>Beautiful Lobby
>Staff recognized I had toddler and gave me gift set for her. Very thoughtful. I stayed in San Diego 5 years ago and they gave my baby 4 rubber duckies..thanks Westin
>Pillows and Bed
>Large Shower with Speakman shower head
>iHome Alarm clock with iDock charger
>LCD TV 46"
CONS-
>Wireless- I had wireless internet and it was absolute crap. Very slow.
>Elevators - You have to do homework here, if there are conventions during your stay, expect long waits. They only had 3 functioning elevators and 1 service elevator. I didn't want my pregnant wife taking service elevator.
>TV remote lost it's sensitivity. Had to press 3-4 times and channels changes uncontrollably.
NO OPINION-
>Taxi to YOW $31 plus tip
>Pool is salt water
My room details:
19th floor facing (west) Parliament - Beautiful
King Size
Large Shower no tub
Limited number of drawers. I had to keep clothes in luggage considering I stayed for 7 days
The iHome Alarm clock was a great feature but it didn't charge my iPhone. The connector is buggy and/or faulty.
TV service was down for a day has they upgraded the reception to HD. Crappy for my daughter who wanted to watch TreeHouse (children's programming).
My stay was paid by convention I was attending and the hotel staff will say that I will get points for stay but I never do or will. This is the 3rd time (14 nights in total) that this has happened to me. I don't like their policy on that. In the future I will probably stay somewhere else where I do get points. I don't travel that much like others so getting any points is always appreciated so they don't expire. For the record, I have always enjoyed my stays at Westin hotels.
I encourage the manager to contact me personally if he wishes to discuss my matter any further.
PD

Room Tip: 19th floor facing west (Parliament)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

On the plus side, this hotel is perfectly situated between the Parliament and the Byward Market area. It's an easy walk to all the major attractions of Ottawa. The rooms are very clean, updated, and comfortable.

I stayed solo in this hotel while visiting the city with family members who stayed at another hotel across the street. My room faced the Parliament and had a walk-in shower, which I prefer to a tub. Housekeeping service was excellent.

The gym/pool facilities are excellent. The whirlpool water was a little on the lukewarm side during this visit, but when I have stayed at this hotel previously it's been nice and hot like it should be.

There is a new steakhouse restaurant also seems very good. I did not eat a meal there but I had drinks at the bar. The only downside is that the new restaurant is on the ground level and does not have a view of the Parliament like the old restaurant on the third floor did.

Check-in was a little slow at the front desk this time, but it was very crowded during the weekend I stayed. The staff seemed to do their best. The elevators can be slow if the hotel is near capacity.

I will definitely stay here again when visiting Ottawa.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

As usual our room is very comfortable, clean, lots of amenities, we have a beautiful view of the Parliament Buildings, the hotel is connected to a mall and is only a couple of blocks away from Byward Market and some fabulous restaurants. The Hotel has an excellent gym, the conference rooms are nice and the food served during our meetings is also very good. Will certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Idahammer,

Thank you for your comments! I am delighted to read your review, as consistently providing the highest level of service and the best experiences is of utmost importance to us. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back time and again when your travels bring you to the Ottawa area.

Be well,
John J

Been to The Westin Ottawa? Share your experiences!