“GREAT FAMILY SPOT.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown

You added Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5J2, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Hamilton, Canada
“GREAT FAMILY SPOT.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

We spend tow nights here traveling with our 4 and 7 year old grandchildren. The biggest hit has to be the waffle maker at breakfast - they LOVED this treat. The staff, especially Anthony at the breakfast were fabulous. Usually the morning breakfast staff just run and basically ignore the guests unless you need something. Anthony wandered around like a very attentive maitre'd and was very friendly. His staff were on the ball all the time. The buffet was fairly standard, but fresh, well presented and always topped up.
The rooms were clean, comfortable and well equipped. We used the pull out sofa (an item that can be iffy at best) and found it to be a more than adequate mattress and a good size for the kids.
We booked the hotel as part of an Ottawa Tourism package and got a great deal which included admission to the museums. The hotel is central to everything important for Ottawa visitors. Front desk staff greeted us warmly and were helpful and courteous.
The pool was a nice addition - great entertainment for the kids after a busy day touring Ottawa museums. (BTW - our young kids much preferred the Nature Museum to the Museum of Civilization. The M of C is very well done and huge, but more for an older crowd and great for CDN history buffs. Museum of Nature is small but great fun for kids.)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
DAB8899, Director of Sales at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your stay with the Residence by Marriott Ottawa. Your feedback will be shared with the staff as we always enjoy celebrating their success. We are very proud of all of our staff members and their focus on customer-service. We feel it is what brings our guests back to the hotel time and again.
Children love staying at the Residence Inn Ottawa, from the pool to the buffet breakfast, all of it is family friendly. I am very pleased that your grandchildren enjoyed the experience.
Your specific comments regarding Anthony have been passed along to both our General Manager and his direct supervisor. It's team members such as Anthony that make our hotel a home away from home for our guests.
Again, many thanks for posting the review and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

I usually stay at the Sheraton on Albert Street when in Ottawa, but I had a great experience at the Marriott Residence Inn King Street West in Toronto so decided to try this one.

This one is clean and the room was spacious, but it is about 15 years overdue for a major renovation. The furniture was dated, the decor was dated. Marriott, invest some money in this location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I was at this hotel for one day. I found the room clean and the average conformable.

The first floor was nice but since the lobby was on the fourth floor I had to take the elevator. The elevators.... it's dirty and decors are falling apart (it was bad; I was scared to see my room). The room looks old, the kitchen is smaller than most Residence Inn I been to (Half the size and dated appliances) but it was still better than I expected after seeing the condition of the elevator.

The breakfast was good (hot and cold), very standard to Residence inn. Hotel staff were friendly and well prepared, they loan me an umbrella for the day (which came in very handy).

This is a great hotel for family and business traveler looking for value and location (Free breakfast, internet, and large living area). It’s within 10 minute walking distance to the parliament building.

Overall good value hotel but overall ambience is below average. Most likely won’t stay here again as breakfast isn’t that important to me.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I stay in a lot of hotels. I stayed in the Residence Marriott for 30 days for business. Not until after I left and started going to other similarly priced hotels did I realize just how good I had it at this one!

The service at the front desk was always attentive, professional, helpful and positive. Anytime I had a request they would always go above and beyond.

My room was excellent. There was so much space! The bedroom with the king sized bed was huge. I rarely ever went to the other side of the room because it was so far away! In the living room there was so much space to move around. The kitchen was wonderful. The cleaning service in the room was always top notch. They always make the kitchen spotless, doing all the dishes every day.

The fitness centre was very well equipped. It was so nice to swim in the pool, use the hot tub, and the sauna every day. Never too many people, even though it was shared with the Indigo next door.

The staff at the front door downstairs were always friendly and attentive. The cleaning staff was always friendly in the hallways! That's very rare!

The breakfast got very repetitive - always the same thing every day. There was a week when it went a bit downhill, but then it picked up again (maybe someone went on vacation). My only suggestion would be for them to have a bit more variety of what's for breakfast - maybe a 2 or 3 day rotation of breakfast items. Also, sometimes - especially on the weekend, the kitchen staff were working past their capacity and there was always things empty on the buffet. If they had more staff they wouldn't have to run so fast.

It was also very nice that they held little dinners a few times a week. Although the food was never amazing, the fact that there was free food in the lobby was very nice.

I would definitely recommend this place for a long term stay. The room was so big that you could really get yourself settled in.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dartmouth, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

I was at this hotel for three weeks . I found the room clean and the bed conformable .
but the the selection of TV channels did not include the "History Channel" and the remotes were did not have a recall button and the TV did not allow me to connect a DVD player . The internet was slow and did not allow uninterrupted video streaming so one could see the news broadcast from home or view stuff off the internet or upload videos to email or for Youtube . It also barred POP email clients from working and I would have to visit the library to use it .This something that I did experience in other hotels . When one is away for an extended time its important for the hotel not to have such restrictive internet .
The breakfast and social hour was great . However beening on the 6th floor I could the street cleaner come by every night at midnight , sometimes stopped in front of the hotel with the motor still going while they went into the Tim Hortons for coffee so I could not have the window open .Some the kitchen utensils were missing . The underground parking was restricted to the 2nd and 3rd levels .
Having a Internet or good TV choices is just as important as clean room and comfortable bed

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

This was our second stay at a Residence Inn with our two small children and once again it offered everything we needed for a comfortable and worry-free stay. The facilities were clean and even, dare I say "stylish". We had a two bedroom suite on the top floor and it had clearly been recently rennovated and decorated. The place was very spacious and we had two bathrooms plus a well appointed kitchenette. The workout room was the best I'd seen for a hotel in this price range and the kids really enjoyed the pool. The breakfast was also more than adequate and the staff was attentive and pleasant. The laundry facilities were also a big help after more than a week on the road with small kids.

Two areas that could have been improved: 1) although we were provided with a room service menu, oddly there was no answer when we called to order. Our voicemail was never returned. We found food elsewhere eventually but it left me wonderign whether they actually have room service at all.
2) The room was cleaned thoroughly all three days we were there but the cleaning staff came very late in the day which isn't what we are accustomed to--inconveniently at the time my son was napping in the late afternoon. On the last day I called housekeeping (again, no one answered or responded to my call but I left a message which seems to have been heeded) and asked them to move up the cleaning schedule, and they did oblige. I'd recommend that you make a specific request in this regard if you are travelling with small kids who nap.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
DAB8899, Director of Sales at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your stay with the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa. It is the feedback we receive from our guests that assist us in improving the services we provide.
I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed our suites, our fitness centre (open 24/7), breakfast buffet and more. It certainly seems like you took advantge of all the amenities our property has to offer.
I was, however, disappointed to hear of your experience with our room service provider and I would like the opportunity to discuss this issue further with you. This service should be convenient for our guests and you certainly did not experience that during your stay.
If you would be so inclined to do so, please contact me at the following phone number or email address.
Denise Breau
Cluster Director of Sales & Marketing
denise@ribm.ca
613-369-5001
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Stayed at this hotel with my husband. The staff were able to recommend good restaurants, shopping and attraction to visit during our stay. They were even able to promote the trails/biking paths. The breakfast buffet was ample and varied. Would suggest others stay here as it is in walking distance of many Ottawa attractions.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Again, many thanks for posting the review and we hope to see you again soon.
Denise Breau

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown? Share your experiences!