“Fantastic Ottawa weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown

You added Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5J2, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto
“Fantastic Ottawa weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Fantastic weekend visiting Doors Open Ottawa. As a family we planned ahead of time what we were going to visit and we were certainly not disappointed. The Supreme Court and Parliament Building tour were very informative and amazing to see. The highlight of the trip was the Royal Canadian Mint which I highly suggest a visit there. Byward Market was fantastic as there were many choices for lunch and dinner. We ate at the Heart and Crown 80.00 for a family of 4 including drinks (excluding tip) and Highlander Pub. Heart and Crown did not disappoint with their fish and chip platter which was awesome. The kids had the blue cheese bacon burger and left no left overs. Both restaurants are pubs so kids can only stay up to 8 pm. There was lots to see and do around The By - street vendors, street performers and a bustling night life. You cannot visit Ottawa without treating yourself to a Beaver tail which was yummy. You can pretty much walk everywhere as all locations are very close to one another.

Room Tip: The room and washroom were outdated however the location was fantastic. The complimentary breakfast...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
N R, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
HI,
Thanks for your comments after your recent stay with us.
We are extremely happy that your stay in Ottawa was exciting and every word of your denotes the good time you had here. Ottawa does have a lot to offer, and staying in the downtown core offers these at close proximity.
While we have noted your comments we do hope the services that we provided met your needs. We have a great team of associates who are out to please every guest at the Hotel !!
Please do visit Ottawa again and give us the opportunity to be of service to you again.

With kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
West Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

A colleague and I stayed here recently while attending a 5 day conference. This hotel is well located on Laurier Street, about a 10 minute walk to the conference centre and Rideau Centre Mall. It is also convenient to all major downtown tourist attractions.

The set-up of the hotel isn't typical. The lobby and breakfast room are on the 4th floor. There is a small lobby at street level with a concierge desk. There is a pool and health club on the 3rd floor which we didn't get a chance to visit.

Check in was a smooth experience, and we were soon on our way to our room. We had requested a quiet room on a high floor and we were given one on the 14th (top) floor overlooking the back of the hotel. It looked into various office buildings - not what I would call an exciting view, but it was very quiet for a downtown location.

Our room was a very spacious one bedroom unit. The decor is somewhat dated but fittings are in a reasonable state of repair. It was a convenient set up for sharing, as my colleague took the bedroom (good beds, lumpy pillows) and I took the sofa bed in the living room (lousy mattress - I ended up pulling it out of the sofa and putting it on the floor) and each room had a door into the bathroom. There was a full kitchen, which we didn't take full advantage of (although we valued having a full sized fridge, dishes, etc.). After long days of meetings, it was nice to come back to a place that wasn't cramped.

A few aspects of our stay weren't perfect, but nothing was serious enough for us to need to contact a manager. Our room was clean but not spotless (noted significant dust on back part of the dresser for a few days, crumbs down the cracks of the chair, and it seemed that the baseboards had not been vacuumed in some time. We also had repeated issues with room keys, which various staff members said were likely due to a battery in the key scanning mechanism, an issue that was never addressed. It also seemed the wifi system was undergoing an overhaul during our stay. We had to call the desk on multiple occasions in order to find out what was happening (it did seem to improve towards the end of our stay). On our final day we put our luggage in storage and when retrieving it it took quite awhile for someone to come to the main floor concierge desk to assist us and a few other parties. On the upside, I will say that most staff we encountered during our stay were pleasant.

The included breakfast was what you would expect from the Residence Inn brand (a reasonable selection of basic offerings, including very average coffee). There are a couple of major chain coffee shops steps away from the hotel if the coffee isn't to your liking. The hotel also offers an included simple evening meal a few days a week, which we noticed that quite a few people were taking advantage of.

In summary, this is a well located downtown property, with large units and good inclusions (including wifi, breakfast and some dinners). On the downside, it is somewhat dated, and if our experience is any indication, there are some areas for service improvement. I would consider staying here again if in town for business, as to me, the strengths outweigh the negatives.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel on higher floors are reasonably quiet for a downtown location.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
N R, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Hi kayteeYVR,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review and we are very pleased to note that while not everything was to your satisfaction your general experience was positive.
You specific comments are being addressed and we certainly are happy that you pointed these out to us. We have a good team of associates and are always trying to better ourselves everyday. Your comments assist us in ensuring that we do not miss out on the services we promise to provide. Certain things that you pointed out require capital infusion and we are aware of them and they are being addressed.
I hope you do come back again to stay with us and we will do our best to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay!

With kind regards,
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Friendly efficient staff. Great location regardless the time of year. Easy walking distance to Byward Market, a mall, a cinema, the river, the canal, the cool shops on Banks Street, and has a Tim Horton's restaurant at the entrance. Room rate includes breakfast. Rooms are spacious and come with kitchenette. Underground parking is available. Fitness facilities are basic but well maintained and open 24 hrs. No onsite restaurant. Check-in is on the fourth floor which is a tad different. In-room movies are pricey at $16 plus tax.

Room Tip: Take a room away from the 4 th floor as the activity around check-in and included breakfast can be n...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Douglas C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear David P,

Great review! Thank you very much for your comments and sharing your thoughts. Our location at the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Ottawa is hard to beat, and we do have an excellent staff here at the hotel (if I do say so myself!).

Should you need to discuss this stay in further detail, or would like information about Ottawa or an upcoming visit, please feel free to contact me directly at 613-231-2020 or e-mail douglas.crosbie@marriott.com

Regards,
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Beautiful hotel near of everything the hotel workers are nice, friendly good customer service! Love the continental breakfast. The parking space was a bit small though since it's an old hotel! It's nice because there is Tim hortons downstairs!

Stayed May 2014
Douglas C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you JoshuaYbanez!

I am so pleased to see you enjoyed your visit to the Residence Inn by Marriott in Downtown Ottawa! It is our pleasure to have you stay with us.

Should you ever need anything, I’d love to hear from you. You can reach me at 613.231.2020 ext. 4004 or by e-mail at douglas.crosbie@marriott.com.

Thanks!

Drummondville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I spent 3 nights at this hotel for the Ottawa Marathon week end and it was perfectly situated, just a few minutes of the races. A runner myself, I was very happy to be so close of the action but also close of the Parlament Hill and the Byward Market.

I had a large room at the 13th floor (which was unusual...!) with a kitchenette. Everything was clean and functional but the matress and the linen were not very good. Deceiving for a Marriott... Also, the air conditioning was so noisy, it was imposible to sleep with it but there was a small window I could let open so I didn't suffer of the heat but I can imagine the problem in the middle of the summer.

The staff is very helpful and bilingual and I will certainly go back at this hotel on my next race.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Natalie M,

Congrats on competing in the Ottawa Marathon this year! It was great to see all the runners come back from their race, and we’re happy to have had you stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Downtown Ottawa.

Being so close to the starting line for the Ottawa Marathon certainly does make us a prime choice for anyone coming from out of town to compete. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and will be looking to return in the future. Should we see you again in the future, we do hope to have improvements in terms of new mattresses throughout the hotel. This project should be done sometime this year. We will also have improved linens once the new beds are in place.

Please feel welcomed to contact me should you have any questions, or would like to plan a future stay!

Regards,
Doug Crosbie
613.231.2020 ext. 4004
douglas.crosbie@marriott.com
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

On my last business trip I booked 2 large suites. Very spacious, all furnished. It was 50$ cheaper than a regular room at the Sheraton close by, and what a difference! I like the feeling of not being restricted in one room, to have the space to move around. And I enjoy having a kitchenette so I can bring my own healthy food for breakfast. I did not try the morning breakfast included in the price, but it looked pretty good for those who like this type of food, a full hot and cold buffet. I did not use the room service because I opt for the no room service option. Well located for a business trip, I will be going back!

Room Tip: It is worth paying the extra 20 bucks or so to get a large suite 3 times the size of a regular one!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Yvan_Om,

Thank you very much for your kind words! Our staff at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Downtown Ottawa work very hard to ensure that everyone who arrives to the hotel have an enjoyable and comfortable visit to Ottawa.

We are proud to have some of the largest rooms in the city, and they definitely help our guests feel more at home while travelling. We are glad you enjoyed your stay!

Should you ever need anything for an upcoming visit, I would be happy to hear from you! You can reach me directly at 613-231-2020 ext. 4004 or e-mail at douglas.crosbie@marriott.com.

Yours in Hospitality,
Doug Crosbie
St-Bruno de Montarville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent the last long week-end (16-18 of May) at this hotel, which was closely located to everything we wanted to see in Ottawa and take in the "Tulip Festival".
I booked and payed directly in February for an executive suite w/ kingsize bed, kitchenette and breakfast included. It was rather pricey, but I wanted to spoil my boyfriend who had not been to Ottawa since he was a boy.
The room we were assigned was on the sixth floor and directly across from the elevator- where we heard every "ding" and all the comings and goings of our neignbours. As soon as we arrived in our room I asked to be moved to a more private location. They could only provide us with a smaller room with 2 beds-NOT executive, of course. The best part is when we parted the curtains of our 6th floor room to see a bricked wall and the back of officed buildings.
Breakfast was so crowded, guests were sitting in the lobby balancing their plates on their knees and the line-ups at the buffet were ridiculous. ( thank goodness their was a Tim's next door!)
Ottawa is a great city with lots to do, buy I would not recommend this hotel, and I work in a travel agency!
Kim and Jean

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Kim Marie F,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us during the Tulip Festival last weekend. It was a great weekend to be in the city, and the weather co-operated very well!

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We work very hard to ensure that our guests feel comfortable, and balanced for a weekend away. The room type that you had booked through a 3rd party (not directly) is located in the same location throughout the building. The hotel was fully committed with the Tulip Festival weekend, so upgrades were not available, and the only room available in a different physical location could not match your type. We regret that the noise retracted from your stay.

Location is everything in Ottawa. The city is very spread out, and we are very lucky to be located in the heart of the downtown core… only minutes to many attractions. With that said, we are surrounded by office buildings being in the downtown core, and unfortunately have little control over our views. I am very sorry to hear this also added to an already disappointing stay.

I would appreciate if you would reach out to me, as I would like to get further clarification as to where you booked your hotel stay with so I can ensure they are setting the correct expectations. If there is anything I can do further for you I would also love to hear from you.

Kind Regards,
613-231-2020 ext. 4004
Douglas.crosbie@marriott.com

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown? Share your experiences!